Items Grapple Hook: Sticky Hand

Squideer

Official Terrarian
The Sticky Hand, As the name implies, Is a rubberised hand covered in a sticky substance that is surprisingly effective for grabbing onto things. (Objects, Enemies, And player's alike). It has an 11.11% drop chance from the Moon Lord. Has a range of 33 brick lengths.

Latching onto an object causes the Sticky Hand to function like any other grapple, Latching on to an enemy/player however is when the fun starts. When a player latches on to a living object (Be it NPC, Enemy, Or Ally), They're effectively glued to the person, Facing the opposite direction until the living entity either dies, Relocates in some manner (Teleports, Climbs onto or off of a mount), Or is deselected. Any movement while latched is performed by the living entity, Rather than the player itself. (If you latched onto a Blue Slime for example, When it jumps you're carried along with it. If you latch onto the Guide, You walk when he walks and stop when he stops.)

When latching on to a living entity:
- Players can still attack independently.
- The entity becomes immune to any damage dealt by the player.
- The player becomes immune to any damage dealt by the entity.
- If an enemy, It loses any aggro towards the player, And will seek out other enemies instead. (Can still aggro other players in Multiplayer mode)
- Damage sustained while latched is localized to only the player/entity. (No shared health)
- Invincibility time is also localized to the player/entity.

Last edited:
you have the http://terraria.wiki.gg/Hooks
lunar hook (bottom of the graph)
and itgs pre moonlord, 4 hooks, and 2 blocks further range :p
sorry. no support here
Ok that's nice but it's a normal grapple, So I don't understand what the problem is. (If your point is it's also a grapple that can be farmed from the same source, I could be technical and say the Moon Lord drops aren't part the Pillar Drops, But anyway)

The original spawn I had in mind was an extremely rare drop from any slimes in hardmode, But I thought that would be "too good" due to the range and soon the player could acquire it.

Ok that's nice but it's a normal grapple, So I don't understand what the problem is. (If your point is it's also a grapple that can be farmed from the same source, I could be technical and say the Moon Lord drops aren't part the Pillar Drops, But anyway)

The original spawn I had in mind was an extremely rare drop from any slimes in hardmode, But I thought that would be "too good" due to the range and soon the player could acquire it.
what I'm saying is there is a much better hook after killing the 4 pillars.
but i like the living entity grapple. i can only imagine a game of chicken
(its when one person is on top of another in a pool and there is another 2 stacked group and you have pool noodles and joust)
but the lunar hook is from the pillars, 4 hooks, 2 blocks further range. its just better

what I'm saying is there is a much better hook after killing the 4 pillars.
but i like the living entity grapple. i can only imagine a game of chicken
(its when one person is on top of another in a pool and there is another 2 stacked group and you have pool noodles and joust)
but the lunar hook is from the pillars, 4 hooks, 2 blocks further range. its just better
Just because something has slightly better stats doesn't mean other items are inferior, With your logic the Anti-Gravity Hook is inferior because it has slightly less range, In spite of the fact it grants the player mobility while using it unlike every other grapple hook.

This suggestion wasn't intended for it to be used as a normal grapple hook (Although that application is still accessible), The initial idea I had with this was one player being able to affix themself to another, So that none of their accessories/armour had to focus on mobility. You could dedicate 100% of your accessory/armour slots to weapon damage, As the other player is the one who determines how fast you move/How far your travel.

Just because something has slightly better stats doesn't mean other items are inferior, With your logic the Anti-Gravity Hook is inferior because it has slightly less range, In spite of the fact it grants the player mobility while using it unlike every other grapple hook.

This suggestion wasn't intended for it to be used as a normal grapple hook (Although that application is still accessible), The initial idea I had with this was one player being able to affix themself to another, So that none of their accessories/armour had to focus on mobility. You could dedicate 100% of your accessory/armour slots to weapon damage, As the other player is the one who determines how fast you move/How far your travel.
ok... i get it now :p
sorry xD
yeah. i'd think that is cool. but if it drops from moon lord it should have further range IMO.
like grappling onto a bird in flight xD
i dunno. but it didnt quite click for a minute there

The point of it having a slightly lesser range is to give the Lunar Hook some type of benefit. :) (Take the Dual Hook & Ivy Whip comparison from 1.1 for example, The Dual hook had a longer range and let you deploy two grapple hook at once, Meaning if you were falling and missed a ledge, You could deploy a secondary hook and try to prevent the fall damage. But you could only have one grapple hook active at a time. Whereas the Ivy Whip enabled the user to have up to three grapple hooks deployed at once, Meaning it was more helpful people who were trying to climb along the walls/ceiling. However it had a shorter range, So it was limited in mobility with that regard.)

Of course I'm not against having it enabled with a tile range of 35, I just felt it needed some to inferiority to that of the Spooky/Christmas/Lunar hooks so that those wouldn't be completely ruled out of the question in terms of The Best Grapple. (Kind of like how there isn't one single weapon that's agreed on being the best, Rather there are multiple ones which make up a list of the best weapons.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom