Weapons & Equip Grappling hook Swing feature

Abyssal_Kutku

Spazmatism
I suggest adding the feature of Swinging with Grappling hooks.
Instead of going directly to your target, defying any kind of gravity.
You swing. Swing fun.

The Swing is completely optional.

Controls. (default)
E: Regular grappling hook, no difference.
R: Extend swing grappling hook. (Can be remapped, just like the E key.)
A: Swing left.
D: Swing right. (think worms/zelda windwaker. build up momentum and whatnot.)
W: Retract (Ascend) grappling hook. (make you go towards where the actual hook.)
S: Extend (Descend) grappling hook. (with limit depending on which hook is used.)

if a block comes in the way of the swinging grappling hook it bends...

EAGl7Oj.png

Different Hook's have different properties.
Dual hook behaves like a normal dual hook. the first hook doesnt detach until the 2nd attaches.
Ivy whip can descend really far (not grip from far) but has slow retract speed.
Diamond hook has long range.
Bat hook has lower swing speed. (lower gravity?, cause wings.)
Web hook has faster ascent speed.

Just as with the regular grappling hooks, you can use weapons/tools while swinging.

Googled if this idea had ben posted before. it hadnt, a similar idea had tough. from 3 years ago. i hope noone is gonna be angry.
link to old idea if anyone wants to see it.
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/item-sprites-ninja-rope.17881/

im bad with words and this is my first suggestion so.... yeh...

Any opinions?

Last edited:
I like it!

Two things though:
  1. How about you make it for one grappling hook?
  2. The controls are kind of confusing.

Don't forget that the "summon mount" key is also R, so that's not quite how I recommend it to work.

I think that grappling hooks should work as normal, however pressing the "down" key (S) would extend the hook downwards, that way it's still completely optional and less painful to control. I think that all hooks can use it, and each hook can have different features in relation to this. I think that limiting it to one hook just takes away from the fact that you will probably have to go out of your way for a hook, sacrificing the cool effects of other hooks. Adding something to hooks is good, since some hooks, such as the web slinger, is largely unused due to limited range and interest, this would allow hooks to be more fun and useful, even well into hardmode when wings are introduced.

Though I like this idea, I agree with what some other people said, which is having a separate hook that swings, that way the current hooks aren't altered. Otherwise, I support!

Let this be the last time an Anti-Gravity Hook will be useless. It exists for a reason guys, so why implement this?
[if this somehow happens, i feel bad for the Anti-Gravity Hook]

Let this be the last time an Anti-Gravity Hook will be useless. It exists for a reason guys, so why implement this?
[if this somehow happens, i feel bad for the Anti-Gravity Hook]
This would be inferential from the Anti Gravity hoik because the Anti Gravity hoik allows you to glow at at any point around the grapple, whereas the swing being suggested can’t float like that and it allows you to fling yourself from place to place.

Last edited:
When did you post this? The anti gravity hook can work this way.
[doublepost=1537832295,1537832149][/doublepost]
oh ok then
well i guess i support
tarzan is cool
Anti gravity hook.
[doublepost=1537832381][/doublepost]Anti-Gravity_Hook.png
[doublepost=1537832400][/doublepost]From the Martian saucer.

I suggest adding the feature of Swinging with Grappling hooks.
Instead of going directly to your target, defying any kind of gravity.
You swing. Swing fun.

The Swing is completely optional.

Controls. (default)
E: Regular grappling hook, no difference.
R: Extend swing grappling hook. (Can be remapped, just like the E key.)
A: Swing left.
D: Swing right. (think worms/zelda windwaker. build up momentum and whatnot.)
W: Retract (Ascend) grappling hook. (make you go towards where the actual hook.)
S: Extend (Descend) grappling hook. (with limit depending on which hook is used.)

if a block comes in the way of the swinging grappling hook it bends...

EAGl7Oj.png

Different Hook's have different properties.
Dual hook behaves like a normal dual hook. the first hook doesnt detach until the 2nd attaches.
Ivy whip can descend really far (not grip from far) but has slow retract speed.
Diamond hook has long range.
Bat hook has lower swing speed. (lower gravity?, cause wings.)
Web hook has faster ascent speed.

Just as with the regular grappling hooks, you can use weapons/tools while swinging.

Googled if this idea had ben posted before. it hadnt, a similar idea had tough. from 3 years ago. i hope noone is gonna be angry.
link to old idea if anyone wants to see it.
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/item-sprites-ninja-rope.17881/

im bad with words and this is my first suggestion so.... yeh...

Any opinions?
This is a feature that appears in the overhaul mod, although it is limited to single hooks and the dual hook, and is simpler in design, but I have yet to find a mod that adds this feature and this feature alone. Excellent Idea though and one I support whole heartedly.

Back
Top Bottom