Mobile Grappling hooks keep breaking

dirtlord

Skeletron Prime
Your Terraria Device
Motorola moto e5 play
Mobile OS
Android 8.0.0
If I leave exit the game with a grappling hook in my hotbar, once I go back in the hook is no longer usable from the hotbar (even via the grappling hook specific control) I have to equip it to use it.
It's happened with an amethyst hook and a ruby hook so far

Same here (Pixel 4XL, Android 11). Hooks work fine from the hotbar when first crafted, but stop working after exiting and re-entering the world. The hook "stick" still works when the hook is equipped, but it's cumbersome to use on mobile. Being off by one pixel when tapping the stick results in the hook being way off at a distance, making precise aiming annoyingly difficult. Please fix using the hooks from the hotbar, which lets us tap on the target to launch the hook.

Last edited:
Two updates:
1. I realized after making this post that I had misremembered and the grapple control does actually work for affected hooks.
2. I received a fish hook from the angler and it immediately didn't work from the hotbar.

Hooks aren’t supposed to work from the hotbar, this was changed in 1.3. Pretty sure there were some instances in PC 1.4 of them being temporarily functional from the hotbar though, so just hang in there till 1.4.1

Hooks aren’t supposed to work from the hotbar, this was changed in 1.3. Pretty sure there were some instances in PC 1.4 of them being temporarily functional from the hotbar though, so just hang in there till 1.4.1
But they worked from the hotbar in 1.3?
Edit:
Did you mean to say 1.4

Last edited:
I am going to state very clearly that the grapple stick on mobile is insufficient, imprecise and all around not good enough.

Last edited:
I think that in the code change from 1.3 to 1.4 we missed re-allowing hooks from the hotbar so this is why it may be partially broken. We will look at getting that functionality back but I don't know when that will occur. You can make the grapple stick larger if you need to in meantime from edit controls, but I know that's not a very good solution.

Back
Top Bottom