Biomes & Nature Grasslands

Do you want this in Terraria? (This is so the devs of Terraria can see if players like my idea)

• Total voters

Farmer Joe

Terrarian
My suggestion for a new biome is grasslands!

Design:
The ground block should be a dirt block with yellow-brown grass on top.
The trees should have branches sprouting everywhere and the leaves the same color as the grass!(The leaves should be spread out, and don't have much leaves on a tree!)

Creatures:
The wildlife should include: Mice, Prairie Dogs and Black-footed ferrets(which when in contact with a Prairie Dog, the Prairie Dog instantly dies).
The enemies should include: Emus,(7 damage, very fast!) Eagles, (Fly up and dive down onto you, 20 damage, Fly speed is very fast!)

Debuffs:
Broken Leg (10% chance of happening when hit by an eagle, Slows your movement speed by 75%(Time it happens for: 30 seconds (Description: Movement speed slowed by 75%.)
Thirsty (Debuff occurs if you've been in grasslands for over 30 secs without standing in water! Does 10 damage every 5 seconds (Description: Walk in water to stop this effect!)
Emu's Peck (25% chance of happening when hit by emu, decreases defense by 50% and speed by 50% (Time it happens for: 1 minute (Description: Defense and speed halved for 1 minute!)

Buffs:
Emu's Boost (45% chance of happening when hit by Emu, Increases your movement speed by 60%(Time it happens for: 1 minute (Description: Movement speed is increased for 1 minute!)

Storm type(Like Blizzard and Sandstorm):
Thunderstorm(Lighting strikes from the sky. It has a 30% chance of hitting you. Strikes every 5 seconds. Strike does 10 damage. Movement speed also slowed by 50%. (Description: Lightning strikes down before you!

I hope this biome gets into the game, please put your answer in the poll for a (Maybe, and only if you choose Yes,) bigger chance for this to go in the game!

If this doesn't get into the game, but you really want to see it, I might make a mod for it, if I get the help from enough people and/or learn how to make mods (with biomes, enemies, wildlife, buffs, debuffs and a storm type)

You've got a good start here, but there's a bit to cover. You were clear about what content you were reffering to, and I appreciate that alot. Merciless constructive criticism time.

The loot is nonexistent. Why would I go here? Does this change in hardmode? Why would I go in the lightning storms? And the debuffs. I'm gonna need another pararaph to talk about the debuffs.

Thirsty: Binds you to water, no matter how much there is or isn't in the biome. Dig, Fight, Explore is the Xbox motto of Terraria. In this biome it would be more like:
Dig (Not at all)
Fight (Whatever's next to water)
Explore (Whatever's close to water)

Slowing debuffs: They last a minute. Nobody likes going slow, escpically when the only thing to do in the biome is to leave

Good first suggestion, but it needs a lot of work on it.

The content looks interesting, however there are some points I would like to point out (Pun) that might resemble Mr. Worfer;
  • You need to explain more on the NPCs, "Wildlife" just doesn't do it enough. Are those critters or enemies? What are their stats? Are there any special conditions for each of them to fulfill the spawn conditions? (i.e; Ice Golems spawn on Blizzards)
  • Debuffs:
    • Broken Leg slows down your movement speed by 75%! For half a minute! Regarding new players would stumble here blindly, they would become sitting ducks, especially since their movement speed will be 3.75 mph (And might still use horizontal stabbing Copper Shortswords). I propose the duration be shortened to ~5 seconds
    • Thirsty. Unlike Suffocation, where you can mine the blocks you're trapped in, and being in water where you can just jump repeatedly. Keep in mind the world creation can bug out sometimes, and might not place any easily reached water. However, the DPS is fairly balanced for the new players to run out
    • Emu's Peck and Boost. This is a Russian Roulette, with the bad being really bad and the good being good. Emu's Peck's duration should be halved to 30 seconds and both defense and speed be reduced by 35% because Thirsty and Emu's Peck for 1 minute would be ridiculous
    • How long does the lightning strike debuff last?
  • Are there anything interesting inside the biome? (Deserts have Pyramids and Antlion Nests, the Jungle has Bee Hives and Lihzahrd Temples, etc.)
  • What sweet loot can we get from the Grassland? (New Wood type, new blocks, new ores, etc.)
  • Where would it (The biome) spawn? (Jungle spawns opposite the Dungeon, Oceans only spawn on the edge of the world, etc.)
  • Will the biome change when some events are triggered? (Pre-HM, HM, Pre-Mech, Pre-Plantera, Pre-Golem, Pre-Moon Lord, Expert Mode)
You don't need to change the stats if you don't want to, however I thought of giving the new players an easier time because you're gonna have a bad time here. Nice suggestion anyway!

On a first glance, those debuffs are absolutely horrible and shouldn't exist.

I'm very reluctant to approve the addition of any more biomes to the surface if they don't serve an extremely obvious purpose. Even on Large worlds biomes are already extremely cramped and limited compared to the game's launch; on Small they often generate far too compact quite often. Just one more biome would massively reduce the surface area available and indirectly impact balance. Underground is a different story; the first 2 subterranean layers make up more than 50% of world size. There's plenty of room there to stuff in more mini-biomes.

So, if i understand.. There will be a lot water in the Grasslands? (to stop the 'Thirsty' debuff.)
And also, i think it would be easier explained with Sprites. I mean, some things are not very understandable.

And, what will happen if the hallow/corruption/crimson will take over this biome? Will it be alright, or is there something Important in this biome?
Also, the desert and the snow biomes do have a underground version.
Other then that, the suggestion is good, but the name 'Grasslands is a kind of confusing. The first time i read of it i tought of green grassy lands. And also, ins't 75% speed lost a lot? If a new player would get the Broken Leg debuff, it won't easely survive. Don't you think?

(ps this does look like the post of two users above me) xD (sorry i didn't see it before)

Perhaps this could be a sub-biome of the Forest biome. Also, there shouldn't be any trees in this biome because it's literally a Grass Land. Let me do a quick analysis on this biome suggestion:
- I don't have any problems with the Critters (labeled as "Wildlife" in this thread)
Enemies
- Emus do only 7 damage?! In Normal Mode, Blue Slimes do that much damage. This IS balanced with the buffs/debuffs this enemy can give.
- Eagles are fine as well, maybe do a minor nerf on their damage because they have the ability to dive down and inflict debuffs
- I presume these enemies are Pre-HM enemies, but is this it? A mere 2 enemies? This would make it more of a mini-biome than a full-fledged fleshed out biome
- I assume this biome wouldn't change at all during HM, again giving it more mini-biome like traits
- Would there be any unique Terraria enemies? Or are all of these enemies going to be based upon Real Life?
- Are there any other enemies already in the game that would spawn in this biome? (kinda like Cave Bats being in the Granite biome)
Debuffs
- I don't like the idea of these debuffs to be completely honest, especially if this is a mini-biome
- Broken Leg is way too powerful, especially if this is supposed to be an Early Game thing. Also, I assume there's no accessories to mitigate this debuff later in the game. I could be fighting the Moon Lord and the Eagle would take all of my Movement Speed, killing me in the 30 seconds this debuff lasts
- I plain <- (Grasslands Pun!) don't like the Thirsty debuff at all. Merely being in this biome would inflict a Poison equivalent debuff and it would be incredibly annoying and frustrating
- I don't like the Emu and the random chance of good and bad debuffs happening. Emu's Peck is basically a Pre-HM combination of Broken Armor and Withered Weapon (both of which are HM debuffs, and one of them is event-only) And I have a 25% chance to get this debuff from the very start of the game, sorry I don't like that. The positive debuff doesn't offset that horrible and overpowered debuff
Thunderstorm
- I don't see much point in a Thunderstorm, honestly this seems like something that shouldn't be a Grasslands exclusive weather event. But I don't see a point of being hit by lightning on average every 15 seconds. Oh yeah, I would also basically always have 50% Movement Speed with this event happening.
Overall
I like the idea of something like this as a sub-biome, but the balancing needs some work. Remember: you don't know what -60% movement speed feels like ingame and how detrimental that would be to survival.

Perhaps this could be a sub-biome of the Forest biome. Also, there shouldn't be any trees in this biome because it's literally a Grass Land. Let me do a quick analysis on this biome suggestion:
- I don't have any problems with the Critters (labeled as "Wildlife" in this thread)
Enemies
- Emus do only 7 damage?! In Normal Mode, Blue Slimes do that much damage. This IS balanced with the buffs/debuffs this enemy can give.
- Eagles are fine as well, maybe do a minor nerf on their damage because they have the ability to dive down and inflict debuffs
- I presume these enemies are Pre-HM enemies, but is this it? A mere 2 enemies? This would make it more of a mini-biome than a full-fledged fleshed out biome
- I assume this biome wouldn't change at all during HM, again giving it more mini-biome like traits
- Would there be any unique Terraria enemies? Or are all of these enemies going to be based upon Real Life?
- Are there any other enemies already in the game that would spawn in this biome? (kinda like Cave Bats being in the Granite biome)
Debuffs
- I don't like the idea of these debuffs to be completely honest, especially if this is a mini-biome
- Broken Leg is way too powerful, especially if this is supposed to be an Early Game thing. Also, I assume there's no accessories to mitigate this debuff later in the game. I could be fighting the Moon Lord and the Eagle would take all of my Movement Speed, killing me in the 30 seconds this debuff lasts
- I plain <- (Grasslands Pun!) don't like the Thirsty debuff at all. Merely being in this biome would inflict a Poison equivalent debuff and it would be incredibly annoying and frustrating
- I don't like the Emu and the random chance of good and bad debuffs happening. Emu's Peck is basically a Pre-HM combination of Broken Armor and Withered Weapon (both of which are HM debuffs, and one of them is event-only) And I have a 25% chance to get this debuff from the very start of the game, sorry I don't like that. The positive debuff doesn't offset that horrible and overpowered debuff
Thunderstorm
- I don't see much point in a Thunderstorm, honestly this seems like something that shouldn't be a Grasslands exclusive weather event. But I don't see a point of being hit by lightning on average every 15 seconds. Oh yeah, I would also basically always have 50% Movement Speed with this event happening.
Overall
I like the idea of something like this as a sub-biome, but the balancing needs some work. Remember: you don't know what -60% movement speed feels like ingame and how detrimental that would be to survival.

That seems a little better.

But still, can corruption/hallow/crimson spread trough this biome? Would it be a corrupted grassland or so?

Back
Top Bottom