Game Mechanics Grave Robbing

Hoohoo2

Terrarian
Slightly surprised that I didn't return anything on the subject just by searching "graves", it seems like a semi-common theme in other sandbox games, but I suppose softcore rather than mediumcore destroys its usefulness.

Graves should act as lootable containers similar to pots, and should contain items that you drop on death (mainly helpful in medcore, especially if you died over lava, but saving that platinum from being eaten by a beastie for players who just don't notice how much cash they have would also be incredibly useful). Texture should be decided based on wealth. It would still be random, but richer statues would be weighted less for poor players, and more for rich players.

This is a short suggestion just trying to make graves have a purpose, and make mediumcore a little bit more bearable. Feel free to share any improvements you think of on the idea, or point out any flaws.

One major flaw is that gravestones are not guaranteed to spawn upon death; if the gravestone lands over heavily sloped terrain or is crowded out by other placed objects, no gravestone will appear. So if you're depending on the gravestone for item retrieval, if you're unlucky, you could be completely screwed out of ALL your items and be unable to do anything about it. I know that death is supposed to carry risks, but this is just too much.

So maybe instead of tying it directly to the gravestone, the better way to do this would be to spawn a skeletal piggy bank to store your dropped items, that would fall to the floor and persist until the world was unloaded. In multiplayer, anyone would be able to access them; this is to preserve player-made PvP gamemodes that rely on mediumcore. Some extra work might be required to allow multiple skeletal piggy banks to exist for each character, but I think this is a good compromise.

One major flaw is that gravestones are not guaranteed to spawn upon death; if the gravestone lands over heavily sloped terrain or is crowded out by other placed objects, no gravestone will appear. So if you're depending on the gravestone for item retrieval, if you're unlucky, you could be completely screwed out of ALL your items and be unable to do anything about it. I know that death is supposed to carry risks, but this is just too much.

So maybe instead of tying it directly to the gravestone, the better way to do this would be to spawn a skeletal piggy bank to store your dropped items, that would fall to the floor and persist until the world was unloaded. In multiplayer, anyone would be able to access them; this is to preserve player-made PvP gamemodes that rely on mediumcore. Some extra work might be required to allow multiple skeletal piggy banks to exist for each character, but I think this is a good compromise.
if the tombstone cannot find a place to rest (to my knowledge) it will persist as an entity. I suppose it may despawn eventually, I do not know, but if it does it would of course drop the items. You aren't going to lose your stuff because you die in a place with lots of background objects.

um... yeah, of course anyone can access them. that's how death works already anyway. this will just make it so you don't end up taking someone else's stuff unintentionally. If you want to rob their grave (hence the title) its actually slightly harder than currently, not easier.

Also, yes, as you said all entities despawn when the world is unloaded, that goes for items too. It isn't any worse than normal, it is in fact likely to prevent these inconveniences. I suppose that removing them for the most part would just make them feel more inconvenient when they occur though.

Back
Top Bottom