Biomes & Nature Grave Yard Biome Touch Up: A minor expansion to my favorite new biome.

Ilmarinen

Terrarian
Note~ I made a suggestion similar to this one a couple of years ago but in lieu of 1.4 and a few new game mechanics introduced therein I decided to make another attempt at the concept. I didn't simply overhaul my original suggestion because, despite being outwardly similar , they are ultimately distinct concepts. If you wish to familiarize yourself with may previous suggestion here is a link to it https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fall-halloween-spooky-seasonal-biome.73400/
GY title.png

I absolutely love this new Grave Yard biome. It's exactly what I've been looking for for years and I have a few minor improvements to fill it out better.
I'll start with the simplest addition.

Hoppin' Jack and Severed Hand
Hoppin'_Jack_Banner_(placed).png
Severed_Hand_Banner_(placed).png

Hoppin'_Jack.png

Hoppin' Jack along with Ghosts and Ravens were all originally Halloween event exclusive mobs but now Ravens and Ghost can spawn year around because of the new gravestone mechanics.
All that would need to be done is to simply allow Jack to spawn in the Grave Yard during hardmode.

Severed_Hand.png

The Severed Hand was originally going to be a new mob added to the Solar Eclipse in 1.3 but it was never made spawnable.
The Grave Yard would be the perfect place to finally implement this mob.
I think it would function well as simply a second unique critter in the Grave Yard (The first of course being the rat) but it could also be another damage dealing enemy.

Hoppin'_Jack_Banner_(placed).png
Severed_Hand_Banner_(placed).png

An important aspect to these additions are that it would allow access to their unique banners. Hoppin' Jack's banner is only obtainable for about 15 days a year and the Severed Hand's banner isn't currently obtainable at all during legitimate game play.

Now for the bigger part of the suggestion.
1.4 for the first time added vanity trees
Tree_(Sakura).png
Tree_(Willow).png
to the game, obtainable from the new Zoologists NPC in the form of saplings.
Sakura_Sapling.png
Yellow_Willow_Sapling.png

In that same spirit might I suggest:
Spooky Tree.png
ST Title.png
Spooky Tree.png

Obtainable simply by having the Zoologist in a Grave Yard biome and purchasing a Spooky Sapling from her.
Spooky Sapling.png

This would be a great way to truly fill out the look of the new biome and allow for even more customization and theming of builds.

~~~~~~~~

I hope this suggestion proves to be well liked by everyone and I hope it gets implemented to this great game and great update.

Last edited:
I cannot tell you how much I freaking LOVE the graveyard biome. It's so so so cool. Spooky, eclectic, aesthetically pleasing, useful, world influencing, and all around just awesome...

I wish it had and did more, but I also understand why it didnt. But still, YES to all your idea's!

Graveyard trees should be as standard for acorn planting within graveyard biomes if you ask me needing the presence of ecto-mist to transform into spooky state aesthetically or to drop a lower tier of spooky wood (haunted wood?). Ravens apparently can already be found within these graveyard biomes if they're given enough room, so they should probably be able to burst out of these haunted trees just the same outside of the holiday season.

I think haunted wood is a great idea. I had the idea to make a similar suggestion years ago but I never got around to it. It could even be used to craft Gothic furniture, which has sadly been ignored.
Gothic Furniture
Yes! The graveyard could be used to fill out the gothic furniture set.
Also the Wrought Iron Fence looks really, really good and has a lot of artistic randomness when you place it. I'd like a Lead Bar alternative, or just more things in that style.

Spooky Trees
I really like the idea of spooky trees. And good job making your suggestion stand out!
If you search spooky trees on google images you can see countless variations of twisted leafless trees. I'd love to be able to grow fields like that, all twisting and branching differently. A creepy gnarled forest. It would look especially good with the ecto mist.

Severed Hand
The wiki shows a picture from an official Terraria twitter suggesting the severed hand would be an Addams Family reference for the Eclipse event. Maybe they decided against it because it wouldn't be a true reference if the hand wasn't friendly. Should it be introduced now as an enemy or a friendly critter in the graveyard? Perhaps even a pet you can get from the graveyard biome?

Back
Top Bottom