Guide: How to play multiplayer cross-platform PC & Mobile

srehder

Terrarian
This guide is confirmed to work today 3rd of November 2020.
When new game versions are released you need to adjust the steps accordingly.

Confirmed to work with Terraria version 1.4.0.5 which is the current mobile version.
I followed the below steps to make it work, and now I can play on PC together with my kids, who are both playing on mobile (iPads, also confirmed to work with my Android tablet).

Required: Terraria bought on Steam and Terraria bought on mobile (game is cheap and worth it so don't even think about piracy). Another requirement to run the DepotDownloader is to download and install the .NET Core 2.2 SDK from here: Download .NET Core 2.2 (Linux, macOS, and Windows)

In order to play together both the mobile and PC version must be the same, so here are the steps to downgrade Terraria on PC to version 1.4.0.5

1. Download the Steam DepotDownloader from GitHub: Releases · SteamRE/DepotDownloader
2. Unpack the file and adjust the depotdownloader.bat file as follows

Code:
@echo off
dotnet  DepotDownloader.dll -username YourSteamUserName -password YourSteamPassword -app 105600 -depot 105601 -manifest 5578977409290338966

This will basically tell the DepotDownloader to login to your Steam account and download Terraria (app 105600) from the Windows release depot (depot 105601) and take version 1.4.0.5 (the written manifest).
I found all these id's by simple search on SteamDb https://steamdb.info/depot/105601/manifests/ correlated with the desktop release dates on the terraria wiki Desktop version history

3. Open cmd or another command line interface and navigate to the folder with the depotdownloader.bat file and execute it from in there
4. When it is done downloading you can login to Steam and add the Terraria.exe file from the depotdownloader-2.3.6\depots\105601\5683958 folder as a Non-Steam game and rename the shortcut to Terraria 1.4.0.5
5. If you host and play a multiplayer game from your PC using that exe file you will be able to join the game from any mobile devices on the same LAN.

And that is it!

If you feel like it you can also use TerrariaServer.exe in the same folder as the Terraria.exe to host your game world for any mobile devices (and any PCs running version 1.4.0.5) when you are not playing on PC yourself.

Last edited:
Sadly it is not possible to do that possibly later once all devices get 1.4.1 but now it’s not possible

These instructions don't quite work, but they took me 90% of the way there. I did some trial and error and it just needs a different manifest number.

@Echo off
dotnet DepotDownloader.dll -username YourSteamUserName -password YourSteamPassword -app 105600 -depot 105601 -manifest 2857434596711182063

With the mobile server 1.4.0.5 the OP's manifest was the right one for me.

The DepotDownloader gave me such encouraging messages as

Failed to find any server with chunk 91c59a3637cce6283fec29b202aec6ae6379dbc5 for depot 105601. Aborting.
App 105600 was not completely downloaded.
The operation was canceled.
Connection timeout downloading chunk 169776740c94c2a4b30d0e3ea2eddb4a6b05de1f
Disconnected from Steam

but after running it a few times I got a fully working 1.4.0.5 steam client (Terraria.exe)

The manifest NobleHeretic suggested didn't work for me as it gave me the version 1.4.1.0 and wasn't compatible with the mobile server.

This said ...

all in all getting this to run was a tedious and from my perspective needless process. I got my kids the mobile versions (Android) as a holiday gift. They liked the game as much as me when it came out (and the game only grew from back then).

Getting to browse steams depos just to join (all in all a now simple solution looking back, but coming from 0 knowledge about crossplay compatibilities it was a 2 day long journey), identifying the right server version (I'm surprised there is a mobile version, at all), then finding out the PC client can't connect to it, but it kind of can if you try steam console, but the old manifest isn't available to download, so there is DepotDownloader and trying to identify the right version ... and after all that it just seems to work perfectly.

I have NO idea why the developer wouldn't just synchronize the PC and Mobile releases and let us play together. You won't catch me playing the mobile version with my old fat fingers and my kids don't own their own PC's each ... don't make us jump through hoops to have some fun together if there is a technical possibility that makes this game worth much much more and adds huge value to people who want to play together with (very slightly) different versions.

I personally miss nothing from the latest Steam version and was glad to have been able to legally download an older version (I will say it again, in a tedious and needlessly complicated fashion), but I think the developer should make this simple for us.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for these instructions!

I was able to get this working with your original instructions.
Here are a few more details for anyone that wants them.

Phone: Galaxy S20 FE
Mobile Terraria version: 1.4.0.5.2 Build 543
PC: Windows 10 x64

Installed .NET Core SDK 2.2.207
Downloaded DepotDownloader: 2.4.0 and unzipped into C:\Tools\depotdownloader-2.4.0-prerelease\

Then in the depotdownloader-2.4.0-prerelease directory:
Code:
dotnet  DepotDownloader.dll -username YourSteamUserName -password YourSteamPassword -app 105600 -depot 105601 -manifest 5578977409290338966

After this, the Terraria 1.4.0.5 files are located in
C:\Tools\depotdownloader-2.4.0-prerelease\depots\105601\5811633\
Right-clicking on TerrariaServer.exe > Properties tab shows that the version is 1.4.0.5.

I double-clicked Terraria.exe and ran Terraria for the firs time to generate a new player and a new world (named "WorldName").

I copied the serverconfig.txt file to serverconfig.WorldName.txt. Put the full path to the WorldName.wld file in there, along with the options I want.
I copied start-server.bat to start-server.WorldName.bat and edited it to point to the serverconfig.WorldName.txt config file

Then I double-clicked the start-server.WorldName.bat file, and was prompted with a Windows Firewall prompt asking if I want to allow TerrariaServer through the firewall. I allowed it for private networks only.

Then I found the IP address of my Win10 computer using "ipconfig" (192.168.x.y).
Then on my phone I went to Multiplayer, added a new server using the 192.168.x.y IP address, port zzz (matches the serverconfig.WorldName.txt file)
Note that both my phone and PC are connected to the same WiFi network.

And it worked! I was able to use the player from my phone in the brand new world being hosted on the server.

Thanks again.

Does this allow me to play with mobile players on a different wifi? Asking cause I want to play with my cousin who doesnt have a pc.

Does this allow me to play with mobile players on a different wifi? Asking cause I want to play with my cousin who doesnt have a pc.
Pretty much no I guess... You need a server for it with a known IP. We all know we don't want our actual IP to be exposed, so it's safe to have an IP masked under a web address of some sort, or probably use any hosting sites (only if their servers also allow the new crossplay)

Hi everybody!🙋‍♂️
I'm completely new here, this is my first post, came here looking for a way to play on two different devices (as in the title), so..
I found out much faster way to connect Mobile Terra with PC version.📲➕💻

True is that you have to use DepotDownloader anyway, so... I've spend about 30/40 minutes to do everything (twice, because it hasn't work for first try) as in manual and...
I could connect to PC server from PC version BUT mobile has just found the server but couldn't connect says "connection timeout".

I was thinking while I was wondering "if I do everything as in the manual and it works for everyone - why doesn't it work for me?"🤔

As I mentioned, I spent a moment on it, deleted files 2/3 times, set up again, modified files (as @c_coder_2 mentioned), checked everything again and the end was still the same ...
The phone refused to connect to the PC server despite connections on the same WiFi network and the same versions ...😫😪
o that's what I thought "what if I host the server directly from my phone and then connect to the IP (phone IP, can be found in WiFi settings) straight from my laptop.

So I did,
1. I started the game on the phone first (ver. 1.4.0.5.2 build 543)
2. I chose the Multiplayer mode, I clicked "host the game"
3. I chose the character and the world I wanted to share.
4. I chose the server settings (number of players, password etc.)
5. I launched the game - the server started up - world show up.

Everything's fine, but where's here PC?
Well, after all this :
1a. I started the game on a laptop, [DepotDownload same as above (-app 105600 -depot 105601 -manifest 5578977409290338966)]
2a. I chose the Multiplayer mode
3a. Join via IP
4a. I entered the phone's IP which I found in the WiFi settings.
5a. "Server found" appeared on the screen
6a. I enjoyed playing with my sister on the server playing on two different devices.

All in all, this is a much shorter scenario and much simpler.
I hope this helps many of you and all who will need help on this topic in the future.

Sorry for this "essay"😅, it could be shortened to the "steps"
But I hope that thanks to this I have dispelled many people questions "where from", "how" "why" etc.

Thanks alot to everyone that has already posted any instructions and infos. It helped me to got what i was looking for.😄

Attachments

• IMG_0518[1].JPG
    IMG_0518[1].JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 530
Everything went great, I figured out how to do it all, but when the .bat finished its magic, but it said
Got AppInfo for 105600
Using app branch: 'Public'.
Got depot key for 105601 result: OK
Downloading depot 105601 - TerrariaRelease
Downloading depot manifest...Got CDN auth token for steamcontent.com result: Fail (expires 1/1/1970 12:00:00 AM)
Disconnected from Steam
, I went into the depots and to my horror, there were no terraria.exe! may someone please help?

Last edited:
yo i did everything, but it wasnt working like it appears and dissapears, so i watched some vids and they put username and password last, so i tried doing that and it showed connecting and logging onto steam when i tried again, but now it suddenly dissapears after saying "Logging "Me" to Steam." , theres also a slight glimpse of words just before the cmd prompt is gone and it says Disconnected from steam, Unable to get steam3 credentials and Error: Initializesteam failed

Edit: fixed now, had to put the username that you use when logging in on the Username section

Last edited:
Used same steps as c_coder_2 above and everything worked. The one big difference between now (2022) and then (2021) is that the new DepotDownloader 2.4.5 requires Dotnet 5 (not Dotnet Core 2.x). This is due to an update they did on the repo. So if you are doing this in 2022, download .NET 5.0 SDK instead of dotnet core 2.x.

Everything else worked the same as the steps outlined above by c_coder_2 and predecessors. Thanks!

Hey, anybody figured on how to play Crossplay with the latest version of Mobile version, which is 1.4.3.2.2 Build 876?

I think i will only need to download different version of Terraria PC from Depot Downloader, but i didn't know the correct manifest code

Hey, anybody figured on how to play Crossplay with the latest version of Mobile version, which is 1.4.3.2.2 Build 876?

I think i will only need to download different version of Terraria PC from Depot Downloader, but i didn't know the correct manifest code
I ended up starting from scratch (for no reason other than I was cleaning stuff up anyway)
  1. I used Depot Downloader, version 2.4.6
  2. I used .Net version 6
  3. Finally the specific manifest I used was 7573196773923640738 so that my download looked like: -app 105600 -depot 105601 -manifest 7573196773923640738
This version ends up not being an exact numerical match, but it IS a 1.4.3.2 version and it was released in November 2021, just like the mobile version I was trying to match up with. I've played it from my Windows PC with people using the 1.4.3 version on Kindle Fires and it works perfectly from what we've seen, so hopefully that helps you as well.

Don't know about the 1.4.4 release for mobile. We're looking at 1.4.4.5 build 977 here in the house on our Kindles. That said, we're back up and running with the following manifest number: 9089490579085838330

Just to try and enable the next people to check out this thread. When a new version comes out you only need to figure out one thing, the new manifest number. That ends up not being too hard a thing to uncover. Here is how I do it.
  1. Go to this page and check out the version history for Terraria's mobile version: Mobile version history
  2. In this case I was looking for 1.4.4.5 and I can see the dates that got released. So I jot down the dates. Oct/Nov 2022
  3. Then I flip over to the SteamDB's manifest page for Terraria: https://steamdb.info/depot/105601/manifests/
  4. I look for a manifest that is the same (or pretty close) to what I got from the version page.
  5. Then I use that manifest number to download, make sure it's a match and works...and away we go.

Hope that helps when the next update happens and anyone is wondering how to get the right manifest id.

Last edited:
Hi everybody!🙋‍♂️
I'm completely new here, this is my first post, came here looking for a way to play on two different devices (as in the title), so..
I found out much faster way to connect Mobile Terra with PC version.📲➕💻

True is that you have to use DepotDownloader anyway, so... I've spend about 30/40 minutes to do everything (twice, because it hasn't work for first try) as in manual and...
I could connect to PC server from PC version BUT mobile has just found the server but couldn't connect says "connection timeout".

I was thinking while I was wondering "if I do everything as in the manual and it works for everyone - why doesn't it work for me?"🤔

As I mentioned, I spent a moment on it, deleted files 2/3 times, set up again, modified files (as @c_coder_2 mentioned), checked everything again and the end was still the same ...
The phone refused to connect to the PC server despite connections on the same WiFi network and the same versions ...😫😪
o that's what I thought "what if I host the server directly from my phone and then connect to the IP (phone IP, can be found in WiFi settings) straight from my laptop.

So I did,
1. I started the game on the phone first (ver. 1.4.0.5.2 build 543)
2. I chose the Multiplayer mode, I clicked "host the game"
3. I chose the character and the world I wanted to share.
4. I chose the server settings (number of players, password etc.)
5. I launched the game - the server started up - world show up.

Everything's fine, but where's here PC?
Well, after all this :
1a. I started the game on a laptop, [DepotDownload same as above (-app 105600 -depot 105601 -manifest 5578977409290338966)]
2a. I chose the Multiplayer mode
3a. Join via IP
4a. I entered the phone's IP which I found in the WiFi settings.
5a. "Server found" appeared on the screen
6a. I enjoyed playing with my sister on the server playing on two different devices.

All in all, this is a much shorter scenario and much simpler.
I hope this helps many of you and all who will need help on this topic in the future.

Sorry for this "essay"😅, it could be shortened to the "steps"
But I hope that thanks to this I have dispelled many people questions "where from", "how" "why" etc.

Thanks alot to everyone that has already posted any instructions and infos. It helped me to got what i was looking for.😄
Thank you so much. Although I used a different way than yours, it still worked.

We bought terraria in both pc and mobile and since both have the same versions now, it is unnecessary to change the version of the pc acc. I first created the world in mobile and its password. Then, I clicked "Join Ip" in pc. Finally, I typed the ip of the wifi both of us are using and the pc account successfully joined.

Excuse me for lacking vocabulary or terminologies I should've used 😅. Thank you again and God bless you

Back
Top Bottom