[Guide] Improved 3-tile wide bidirectional hoik elevator

Patric20878

Terrarian
So I'm relatively new to Terraria (2 weeks in) and was learning hoiking and stuff from Zero's guide (great guide btw) and was particularly interested in the bidirectional elevators, because they always either need the player to press a button or walk really slowly to go down or risk getting stuck. So after some experimenting, I came up with a much more user-friendly design that requires no player input at all and allows you hoik down while walking at full speed! Here it is.

Oo4ue6O.jpg

By placing the top wood platform ON the up hoiks, it simultaneously allows for down hoiking AND doesn't block up hoiking either. Notice that unlike the current bidirectional elevators, you enter the down hoik against the wall, which is the key part of this variation that allows for walking full speed into it, because the reason you normally have to walk slowly into a down elevator is because if you don't, you'll end up walking too far from the hoiks, which gets you stuck. Also, the exit of the up elevator is the same as the entry of the down elevator, which adds onto the the convenience of using it. And finally, the space at the right on the top floor is required for to player to exit from when going up.

This elevator also works fine if you shift the top floor a tile down, so it's totally up to your preference how you like it from here. I also like adding a platform between the top platform and the right side to smooth out walking there from right to left.

Last edited:
So I'm relatively new to Terraria (2 weeks in) and was learning hoiking and stuff from Zero's guide (great guide btw) and was particularly interested in the bidirectional elevators, because they always either need the player to press a button or walk really slowly to go down or risk getting stuck. So after some experimenting, I came up with a much more user-friendly design that requires no player input at all and allows you hoik down while walking at full speed! Here it is.

sSzM9D5.jpg

By placing the top wood platform ON the up hoiks, it simultaneously allows for down hoiking AND doesn't block up hoiking either. Notice that unlike the current bidirectional elevators, you enter the down hoik against the wall, which is the key part of this variation that allows for walking full speed into it, because the reason you normally have to walk slowly into a down elevator is because if you don't, you'll end up walking too far from the hoiks, which gets you stuck. Also, the exit of the up elevator is the same as the entry of the down elevator, which adds onto the the convenience of using it. And finally, the space at the right on the top floor is required for to player to exit from when going up.

This elevator also works fine if you shift the top floor a tile down, so it's totally up to your preference how you like it from here. I also like adding a platform between the top platform and the right side to smooth out walking there from right to left.
This will be a lot useful in the future for me!
Thank you so much!
BqLPoKi.png

HOIK!
myAinCF.gif

Two weeks in and you already have all that in your inventory? You're definitely into gaming I see, I took around that long too. But damn was this old.

I don't get it, I built the thing to test it out, and I have no idea how to actually use it up or down.What do you mean by full walking speed? isn't that dependent on equips? I've run at this thing at all different speeds, from the top, left to right, then right to left, both holding down and not holding down. Then I tried going up. Going from left to right, and nothing, I know it's been years, does this even still work? I would really like a bidirectional hoik elevator

Back
Top Bottom