Items Guide To Floral Friendship - A way to preserve plants.

Snowflake

Skeletron Prime
The Guide To Floral Friendship would be an item sold by the Dryad at a base price of 5 gold, and would prevent players from destroying most plants while inside of the player's inventory. This is meant to be a counterpart to the Guide To Critter Companionship which prevents players from killing critters, but for plants instead. This is to help people who like to preserve things like flower patches or vines in their world, builders who want to utilize things like flowers, and people who simply don't want herbs or seeds filling up their inventories.

When inside your inventory the guide could be enabled or disabled with a button to the left of the inventory. Similar to the ruler setting or the wire settings from the mechanical lens and grand design. This would bring quality of life when having this item while trying to collect Herbs, Jungle spores or a Nature's Gift. As dropping the guide or putting it away in a container could feel a bit "clunky" or annoying. This could also be applied to the guide to critter companionship, as it would be helpful for killing critters like Prismatic Lacewings when needed.

As mentioned the guide would prevent players from destroying plants. Specifically plants that can be destroyed or harvested with attacks alone, like grass, vines, flowers, herbs, etc. As a result, this would not interfere with affecting things like Dye plants, Trees or Plantera bulbs. However an exception to this rule would be the thorns found in the Corruption, Crimson and Jungle, because these do damage to the player and can spread the Corruption and Crimson.

This been suggested before too, and yes, this is something that could be really awesome! there are so many plants making things much livelier, but nothing much will remain of it after some battles, or even just fighting some mobs with weapons that destroy them (so, basically anything, and if you're not melee, then not just the things where you're standing, but much more than that.)

It's been also suggested to tinker it with guide to critter companionship, which also could be a great thing.
And I agree having buttons to toggle their effects would be a nice QoL addition.

I actually wonder about thorns being an exception... although I'm not sure I seen builds utilising them, but there might be some.

I wonder about though if dryad is the right one to sell it? it is temetically fitting, but would be nice to get it even earlier, if possible, because some things like cattails regrow, but things like flower patches don't. and by the time EoC (or any other boss) is down, those might been long destroyed by fighting some slimes or zombies...

Speaking of thorns though I wonder about other plants or plant-like things like mushrooms. for some cases, it would be better to preserve them. some other cases, you might want to pick them up, but not destroy the other stuff nearby. I wonder what would be the best approach for it...?
Like, maybe a tool that is used to cut and pick up these things without harming other plants, when the guide book is equipped?

Sorry I didn't know this was already suggested, I'm not really used to this site's search function.

As for why it should be the Dryad; I figured it would fit not only the nature theme of the character. But I also figured it would fit because she sells flower seeds too, and I imagine that being able to plant flowers might bring more attention to this sort of thing. I feel like a decent alternative though could also be from finding the guide in a tree, but that could also make getting the item too RNG dependent. And it could disrupt intentional plant gathering/destroying by having the guide drop into one's inventory. Another option could be to simply make this (and possibly also the critter companionship guide) "safe attack" options that are available from the start with the toggle buttons.

Also maybe the guide book could simply just make the plants act more like dye plants where they can't be destroyed by weapons, but can be destroyed by using a pickaxe directly on them. That way you could be precise with picking up whatever plants you want without destroying the others. It could also save you from opening your inventory and clicking a button, which could help add to one's quality of life as well. I feel like having a special tool that ignores the guide might become a bit too "complex" in a way.

@Snowflake
As for how to aquire it, it definitely fits into the Dryad's shop. so that could be kept. but it wuld be nice to have ways to aquire it pre-bosses. so, it could be she's selling it, but it can be aquired other ways too, like crafted from some plant materials and maybe a book, or guide to critter companionship or something. and if you don't want to go though that trouble, you can buy it after one boss is down, from the Dryad.

As for the pickaxe idea though, I agree! that could work pretty well. Would it only "mine" the thing you clicked on though? e.g. the swing of the pickaxe won't actually destroy plants, it will only destroy/mine the one plant that is where you clicked. right? I think that could work nice!

I really like this idea! I hate seeds and flowers filling up my inventory so if this was added it would such a lifesaver!

Speaking of thorns though I wonder about other plants or plant-like things like mushrooms. for some cases, it would be better to preserve them. some other cases, you might want to pick them up, but not destroy the other stuff nearby. I wonder what would be the best approach for it...?
Like, maybe a tool that is used to cut and pick up these things without harming other plants, when the guide book is equipped?
Mining directly via pickaxe would work in this case, correct?

Back
Top Bottom