Game Mechanics Hallow Shouldn't Affect NPC Happiness

11clock

Terrarian
Hallow is an important biome for protecting your towns from corruption spread. None of my NPCs benefit from their biome preferences in hardmode now that they all live in hallowed areas, except for those who specifically favor the Hallow. I think that Hallow should not be a factor in NPC Happiness, especially since the biome itself doesn't override the biomes it exists in, just merges with them. For example the Dye Trader is in a hallowed desert, but it is still a desert. Why am I getting punished for protecting my towns In the most convenient manner that the game provides and expects you to do?

Well, it would be very difficult for that, and if it were that, they would have to get rid of the hallow in general then, there is no way it can’t effect NPCs and specific ones that don’t like the hallow, if it has its own pylon and NPCs can live in.

Well, it would be very difficult for that, and if it were that, they would have to get rid of the hallow in general then, there is no way it can’t effect NPCs and specific ones that don’t like the hallow, if it has its own pylon and NPCs can live in.

I am having trouble following what you are trying to say. Basically, Hallow isn't a biome that overrides other biomes, but merges with them, and serves as your main way to control the corruption spread. NPCs currently lose their happiness benefits if they are not living in a "pure" biome. In other words, you are being punished for protecting your towns. NPCs should be fine with living in hybrid biomes, and Hallow should no longer play a role in the Happiness system other than for those who specifically like the Hallow.

Hallow is a biome, just as the forest is a biome, and stands on its own. It has its own NPCs who prefer living there, its own NPCs who dislike living there, and there seems to be, to me, no reason not to have it work as such.
NPCs should be fine with living in hybrid biomes, and Hallow should no longer play a role in the Happiness system other than for those who specifically like the Hallow.
They are actually, if they live in the Hallow desert, underground or snow biome, Hallow NPCs are happy, but the surface forest is the pure biome, and when overtaken becomes a pure Hallow, not a Hallow Pure biome.

Hallow is a biome, just as the forest is a biome, and stands on its own. It has its own NPCs who prefer living there, its own NPCs who dislike living there, and there seems to be, to me, no reason not to have it work as such.

They are actually, if they live in the Hallow desert, underground or snow biome, Hallow NPCs are happy, but the surface forest is the pure biome, and when overtaken becomes a pure Hallow, not a Hallow Pure biome.

I explained why it should be changed. Hallow is your main means of controlling corruption spread, and the easiest way to preserve your towns. NPCs who prefer a certain biome will no longer care at all about the biome they are living in if it is hallowed. For example, the corruption line on entering hardmode corrupted a good portion of my underground desert, putting my desert town above it at risk. So I hallowed up my desert town to protect it. Now my Dye Trader and Arms Dealer no longer benefit from living in the desert despite still technically living in one. Sure it is a Hallowed Desert, but it is still a desert nonetheless. Why are they not happy anymore?

That is kind of what I was trying to say, sorry that it wasn’t clear

I explained why it should be changed. Hallow is your main means of controlling corruption spread, and the easiest way to preserve your towns. NPCs who prefer a certain biome will no longer care at all about the biome they are living in if it is hallowed. For example, the corruption line on entering hardmode corrupted a good portion of my underground desert, putting my desert town above it at risk. So I hallowed up my desert town to protect it. Now my Dye Trader and Arms Dealer no longer benefit from living in the desert despite still technically living in one. Sure it is a Hallowed Desert, but it is still a desert nonetheless.
It’s not main means to control the evil biome, once you beat at least on mechanical boss, you can buy he clentaminator and green solution, then you can stop the evil from spreading.

It’s not main means to control the evil biome, once you beat at least on mechanical boss, you can buy he clentaminator and green solution, then you can stop the evil from spreading.

It is, though. The entire reason why the Hallow was added to the game back when hardmode was introduced in 1.1 was to help fight the corruption spread with a "good" spreading biome. The Clentaminator wasn't added until 1.2.

Yeah but now since it’s there, you can still use the hallow, but you don’t have to. Most people don’t do it, most times I just convert my world almost to hallow just because it’s my favorite biome.

Yeah but now since it’s there, you can still use the hallow, but you don’t have to. Most people don’t do it, most times I just convert my world almost to hallow just because it’s my favorite biome.

It is still punishing you for using the Hallow the way it was intended to be used, though. Again, Hallow itself does not override biomes, just merges with them. NPCs that live in hybrid hallow biomes, however, only register the area as hallow when it should account for both biomes in the hybrid. My Dye Trader and Arms Dealer should be just as happy in a hallowed desert as a standard desert, and same applies to other biomes.

Well uhhh he kind of said it in all of the beginning

Well uhhh he kind of said it in all of the beginning

NPCs who prefer hallow are still happy, but not those who prefer desert, snow, etc.

If hallow preferences for certain NPCs are staying, then both hallow and desert NPCs should be happy in a hallowed desert. Not only the hallow NPCs like it is currently.

NPCs who prefer hallow are still happy, but not those who prefer desert, snow, etc.

If hallow preferences for certain NPCs are staying, then both hallow and desert NPCs should be happy in a hallowed desert. Not only the hallow NPCs like it is currently.
Well because they are all Different Biomes.
Sorry if that sounds like I’m getting mad at you, I’m not, I just want you to know, they it isn’t like that so I pointed it ou...

Well because they are all Different Biomes.
Sorry if that sounds like I’m getting mad at you, I’m not, I just want you to know, they it isn’t like that so I pointed it ou...

Let me start from the beginning.

Say you have a Nurse and a Dye Trader in a normal desert. The Nurse prefers the hallow and the Dye Trader prefers the desert. Currently, the Nurse is neutral and the Dye Trader is happy. There is also a desert pylon.

Now say I come by and throw holy water everywhere to convert the desert into a hallowed desert.

Now, with how the current happiness system works, the pylon still works (tested it myself). The Nurse is also happy now that she lives in Hallow. The Dye Trader, on the other hand, is no longer happy and his prices went back up.

I am proposing that in this scenario, the Dye Trader should still be happy along with the Nurse. Currently almost all of my NPCs lost their happiness boosts when I hallowed up my world, even though the pylons in their respective towns are still operational (the only pylon that broke for me was the forest pylon).

Well did you not understand when I said they are different biomes? Cause the hallow desert is it’s own biome, there are light and dark mummies. That is why that happens.

Well did you not understand when I said they are different biomes? Cause the hallow desert is it’s own biome, there are light and dark mummies. That is why that happens.

It really isn't its own biome, though. It's a hybrid. The desert pylon working in it confirms this. And a hybrid biome can have its own enemies.

Again, you shouldn't take a penalty for using the hallow as a means of defense, since that was how it was always intended to be used. What else should I do, let the desert be taken over by the corruption and not be able to inhabit it at all? By the time I unlock the Clentaminator, my town would've been consumed by corruption. The mech bosses aren't something you can just rush in and fight.

The hallow desert is still a desert. It is also hallow. So both the nurse and dye trader should be happy with it, not just the nurse.

Last edited:
It really isn't its own biome, though. It's a hybrid. The desert pylon working in it confirms this. And a hybrid biome can have its own enemies.

Again, you shouldn't take a penalty for using the hallow as a means of defense, since that was how it was always intended to be used. What else should I do, let the desert be taken over by the corruption and not be able to inhabit it at all? The Hallow is the only barrier that corruption struggles to cross.

The hallow desert is still a desert. It is also hallow. So both the nurse and dye trader should be happy with it, not just the nurse.
So are you telling me that NPCs should be able to live in the crimson/corruption? The hallowed is basically that, but NPCs are able to live in hallow, and stuff, the evil desert is the same as hollowed desert, but opposite. Sorry if this seems like I’m attacking and being rude, I’m trying not to. But I think I’m just going to stop arguing about this.

So are you telling me that NPCs should be able to live in the crimson/corruption? The hallowed is basically that, but NPCs are able to live in hallow, and stuff, the evil desert is the same as hollowed desert, but opposite. Sorry if this seems like I’m attacking and being rude, I’m trying not to. But I think I’m just going to stop arguing about this.

NPCs refusing to live in corruption and crimson of any kind makes sense, since they are evil biomes after all. Hallow, on the other hand, is a "positive" kind of spread that you want to put everywhere to limit the spread of evil biomes. That was why this biome was introduced: to help you contain the evil spread with a spread of your own. The only biome that Hallow really overrides is Forest. It merges with other biomes, as I keep saying. The desert pylon still works in the hallowed desert. Likewise, NPCS who prefer the desert should still be happy with a hallowed desert. And also, if the hallowed desert really is its "own biome," then why are hallow-preferring NPCs still happy living in it? Shouldn't they be just as neutral to a hallowed desert as the desert-preferring NPCs?

You shouldn't be punished for spreading hallow. You are "supposed" to spread it. That's why NPCs can live in it in the first place.

NPCs refusing to live in corruption and crimson of any kind makes sense, since they are evil biomes after all. Hallow, on the other hand, is a "positive" kind of spread that you want to put everywhere to limit the spread of evil biomes. That was why this biome was introduced: to help you contain the evil spread with a spread of your own. The only biome that Hallow really overrides is Forest. It merges with other biomes, as I keep saying. The desert pylon still works in the hallowed desert. Likewise, NPCS who prefer the desert should still be happy with a hallowed desert. And also, if the hallowed desert really is its "own biome," then why are hallow-preferring NPCs still happy living in it? Shouldn't they be just as neutral to a hallowed desert as the desert-preferring NPCs?

You shouldn't be punished for spreading hallow. You are "supposed" to spread it. That's why NPCs can live in it in the first place.
HAllow desert isn’t its own biome, it is just a biome within the hallow so yeah.

HAllow desert isn’t its own biome, it is just a biome within the hallow so yeah.
To continue your point here: By your logic, since Hallow Desert is a separate Biome, it shouldn't make Hallow NPCs happy either. After all, it isn't "Hallow"... It's "Hallow Desert", a different biome.

Having large swathes of habitable land that makes nobody happy seems counter intuitive. Also, think of the logic behind each preference: Mechanic and Cyborg like the Snow biome, since it cools down machinery. Does the Hallow Snow stop doing that? No. So, it should count as both.

Lastly, MOST other mechanics count the Hybrids as both. Fishing. Enemy spawns. NPC shop inventories. Why should NPC happiness be excluded?

Back
Top Bottom