Game Mechanics Hallowed Islands: The Harpy and Wyvern solution

OH GAWD YES PLEASE! total support and all. you, oh enlightened one, deserve not one, but TWO seals of approval for this
73890.png
73890.png

It seen like an interesting idea, but personally I don´t have issues dealing with sky mobs.
Once you got wings, your weaponary should be good enought to kill harpies and wyvern in a short time.
If you wan´t to suppress mob spawning, just put 3 NPCs there.

One main argument is that harpies spawning in the whole sky makes finding sky islands harder with gravy-potions.
It would be trivial that way.

The main advantage would be stylish hallowed biomes prehardmode, with pearlwood stats being quite balanced that way.

I have an idea, how about it doesn't spawn with pearl stone, as to not allow it to be placed anywhere else prehardmode.

It seen like an interesting idea, but personally I don´t have issues dealing with sky mobs.
Once you got wings, your weaponary should be good enought to kill harpies and wyvern in a short time.
If you wan´t to suppress mob spawning, just put 3 NPCs there.

One main argument is that harpies spawning in the whole sky makes finding sky islands harder with gravy-potions.
It would be trivial that way.

The main advantage would be stylish hallowed biomes prehardmode, with pearlwood stats being quite balanced that way.
It's not about the player's ability to deal with harpies and wyverns, it's about the NPCs. Just putting the NPCs there isn't enough, because the spawn rate won't be reduced to zero, and one Wyvern is all it takes.

By the way, I've never been bothered by Harpies when hunting sky islands with gravitation potions; they only hit me occasionally, and firing the Space Gun in random directions seems to do the trick. Harpies don't really count as a legitimate defense of the treasures on sky islands anyways.

It's not about the player's ability to deal with harpies and wyverns, it's about the NPCs. Just putting the NPCs there isn't enough, because the spawn rate won't be reduced to zero, and one Wyvern is all it takes.

By the way, I've never been bothered by Harpies when hunting sky islands with gravitation potions; they only hit me occasionally, and firing the Space Gun in random directions seems to do the trick. Harpies don't really count as a legitimate defense of the treasures on sky islands anyways.

Nope, 3 friendly NPCs and you´re done.
Of course Hermes boots or a good weapon do the trick, but try doing that with a silver bow and no speed buffs, they will wreck you.
This is an important point in speedruns

You should definetly expand this idea! It would be lovely if you would add some pre-hardmode info for the hallow!

If this and your Fallen Star Furniture suggestion were added... I could make a Fallen Star house without any trouble! :)

Now. Peace candles and Sunflowers aren't enough for my space town. And I think Hallow should not spread in PreHM.

I've seen genuine concerns both ways:

People value their presence as something of a challenge, something to help make the skies unfriendly until you have the correct gear. This is important to new and experienced players. As mentioned before this could affect speed runs people do.

Others just want to build in peace anywhere they want because they enjoy the fact it's a sandbox game thus they should be able to take advantage of the sandbox elements without feeling hindered.

This solution favours the latter, but it'd be better if we could have it I like the idea of there being Hallowed grass there, nice touch, but what if their spawns could be altered mid way? Pre-hard mode Harpies spawn as normal, nothing new, but post hard mode they have this requirement and same goes for Wyvern.

This makes farming those Souls of Flight much more reliable as well as giving builders the freedom to create to their hearts content as long as it doesn't include a sky of Hallow. Plus at that point speed running and general game balancing isn't an issue.

OP could be updated to be like this? My hope is that spawn rates can be turned off post hard mode, if they're allow to be turned off at all.

Last edited:
I've seen genuine concerns both ways:

People value their presence as something of a challenge, something to help make the skies unfriendly until you have the correct gear. This is important to new and experienced players. As mentioned before this could affect speed runs people do.

Others just want to build in peace anywhere they want because they enjoy the fact it's a sandbox game thus they should be able to take advantage of the sandbox elements without feeling hindered.

This solution favours the latter, but it'd be better if we could have it I like the idea of there being Hallowed grass there, nice touch, but what if their spawns could be altered mid way? Pre-hard mode Harpies spawn as normal, nothing new, but post hard mode they have this requirement and same goes for Wyvern.

This makes farming those Souls of Flight much more reliable as well as giving builders the freedom to create to their hearts content as long as it doesn't include a sky of Hallow. Plus at that point speed running and general game balancing isn't an issue.

OP could be updated to be like this? My hope is that spawn rates can be turned off post hard mode if they can be turned on.
That sounds like a pretty rad idea.

A fun thing to note on this subject- there are two specific biomes I have built in that I will not stay in during a Blood Moon. Underground Hallow is one of them (due to Chaos Elementals and Enchanted Swords), and the Sky... is another. Because Wyverns. So... yeah.

Supported. Alternatively, have sky be a default biome that is able to be overwritten. I don't think its as good an idea but would maintain being ambused by sky snakes anytime you fly across the sky, not just near islands.

You have no idea how much I miss building in the Sky, but its limited to building because of all of the mobs ; - ;.
Its well said, and I hope it is added in the game, why not let players build in the sky people, well its possible but still it gets annoying here, and there unuo :/.

We need a developer right now <3.
upload_2015-8-7_12-26-13.jpeg

Halp us people!

Back
Top Bottom