Game Mechanics Hallowed Islands: The Harpy and Wyvern solution

I like the idea, but I have a couple problems with it.

1: souls. Wyverns have souls of flight, and all the other hallow critters have souls of light. This would mean you would get two different souls in one biome the moment you hit hardmode, and that feels wrong.

2: the hallow would be in more places than the corruption to start. This also feels wrong, because they are supposed to be balanced, and if one starts stronger than the other, it would be a mess.

3: We'd remove the skyware, and worse, everyone's favorite pre-hardmode weapon! The starfury! Maybe you could make it with some crystals and some fallen stars? The skyware I'm not so worried about. It seriously needs an update.

Otherwise, this is a good idea. +1 support!

2: the hallow would be in more places than the corruption to start. This also feels wrong, because they are supposed to be balanced, and if one starts stronger than the other, it would be a mess.
One does start stronger. The corruption/crimson. I don't see how this would be a mess.
3: We'd remove the skyware, and worse, everyone's favorite pre-hardmode weapon! The starfury! Maybe you could make it with some crystals and some fallen stars? The skyware I'm not so worried about. It seriously needs an update.
In what way? I don't remember anything in the proposal about that.

In what way? I don't remember anything in the proposal about that.

Changing the islands would mean removing the skyware portion of the game, because the hallow theme can't be blended with the skyware. They'd have to change color, theme, and it would no longer be skyware. Just picture a skyware building on top of pearlstone with unicorns jumping around it.

One does start stronger. The corruption/crimson. I don't see how this would be a mess.

I don't remember the corruption/crimsion starting stronger. They each get a small amount of land and the hallow lands right on top of the old c/c. They are about the same size when you first start hardmode.
[DOUBLEPOST=1445717199,1445717113][/DOUBLEPOST]
Souls of light drop in the hallowed underground.

right. forgot about that... :p

Changing the islands would mean removing the skyware portion of the game, because the hallow theme can't be blended with the skyware. They'd have to change color, theme, and it would no longer be skyware. Just picture a skyware building on top of pearlstone with unicorns jumping around it.
Unicorns are a hardmode hallow enemy. I suppose the theme might no longer match but the loot could remain.
I don't remember the corruption/crimsion starting stronger. They each get a small amount of land and the hallow lands right on top of the old c/c. They are about the same size when you first start hardmode.
Sky islands are tiny and more separated than the corruption/crimson.

I suppose the theme might no longer match but the loot could remain.

Where would we put the loot? I mean, we could add some pink and call them "hallow items", I guess... Seriously though, we should put them in a new spot if the islands get changed.

Sky islands are tiny and more separated than the corruption/crimson.

fair enough point. But it will look like the Hallow has more, even if it isn't. Maybe there could be 2 islands in a world, and when players start hardmode, the corruption infects one. Add a corrupted/crimsoned(?) variant of harpies and wyverns and you have a slightly more balanced world
[DOUBLEPOST=1445718606,1445718534][/DOUBLEPOST]*even if it doesn't. my computer won't let me edit the post

Where would we put the loot? I mean, we could add some pink and call them "hallow items", I guess... Seriously though, we should put them in a new spot if the islands get changed.
Unnecessary. Hallowed sky islands wouldn't look bad with sunplate. Keep everything else as is.
fair enough point. But it will look like the Hallow has more, even if it isn't. Maybe there could be 2 islands in a world, and when players start hardmode, the corruption infects one. Add a corrupted/crimsoned(?) variant of harpies and wyverns and you have a slightly more balanced world
--- Double Post Merged, 3 minutes ago, Original Post Date: 4 minutes ago --- *even if it doesn't. my computer won't let me edit the post
Where did you get the idea that they had to be balanced? You know, because they don't.

Unnecessary. Hallowed sky islands wouldn't look bad with sunplate. Keep everything else as is.

At the very least, tweak the colors.

Where did you get the idea that they had to be balanced? You know, because they don't.

Because they are polar opposites. It feels very unnatural for things that are polar opposite, always at war, for one to be much more powerful than the other.

They aren't balanced as is. That argument is meaningless.

I never said it had to be as is. I just said that one of them looking way more powerful than the other (even if it isn't) feels wrong, as none of them are the main theme of terraria, thus, one should not be more powerful than the other.

I never said it had to be as is. I just said that one of them looking way more powerful than the other (even if it isn't) feels wrong, as none of them are the main theme of terraria, thus, one should not be more powerful than the other.
The corruption/crimson right now.

Do you know what? This argument is pointless, it is based purely off of feeling and not logic. This proposal solves the pearlwood problem, the wyvern problem for builders, and the vile powder problem.

The corruption/crimson right now.

Do you know what? This argument is pointless, it is based purely off of feeling and not logic. This proposal solves the pearlwood problem, the wyvern problem for builders, and the vile powder problem.

fine. Let's agree that I will hold to my beliefs about the game, and there will be no more pointless, tangent-filled arguing. We almost filled a page with this meaningless stuff!

Sounds like a fun idea. Might have to see about trying to implement this idea, as I'm a fan of it! :)

had to do a double take when I saw 2015 but since this thread was revived I’ll give my take.

I can’t say I really support this. Hallow is cool and all but
1. It’s locked behind WoF in Lore
2. It’d make getting souls of flight way harder in the spaces with no blocks
3. Outside of Celebration MK10, I think Hallow should stay HM exclusive

2. is the biggest issue for me but I would love an anti-wyverns repellent. Maybe Wyverns don’t spawn in the sky above spawn?
This honestly makes sense. Would definitely solve the long-running debate about pearlwood's usefulness...
didnt pearlwood get a buff recently? It’s still not good but it got a buff

Back
Top Bottom