Hammer Priority - Half-tile vs Sloped tile?

Should the sloped tile or Half tile be the first thing that appears when you hammer a tile?

• Sloped Tile.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Half Tile (What it is now.)

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
We all fell in love with slopes the moment their mysterious and whimsical world was revealed to us. Using the hammer to create them was a fantastic move on the part of our dearest daring developers.

The question is, considering how all variations are done in a sequential line, which is the most frequently used tile?

Specifically, when you click once on a tile with the hammer, should it turn into a half-tile first (As it does currently) or should it turn into a slope first?

Personally, I think the slope design should be first. I rarely see half-tiles, but they are definitely useful. Just not nearly as useful and common as slopes.

Slopes, definitely. Agree with Zaicon, I only use half-tiles for a waterfall. You could make this a poll.

I tend to blend halftiles and slopes when working with tarrein to give it a more natural imperfect quality.
When building structures It all depends on what I'm making, though slopes are definatly more common.

Last edited:
slopes half blocks are situational I really only use them for slow slanted angles(where just a slope would look too steep)

I would have to side with Slopes, since I use them much more often in construction than I do half-blocks.

I like to use have tiles for making angled bridges because exit gives it a board look, they would probably look nice when alternating with a normal block for a horizontal bridge. I hope this changes perspectives? It probably wont

Slopes are more common but there is only one half block and four slopes. Therefore it is less painful in the long run to have the half block come first, to prevent the player from scrolling through too much.

Basically, it's only one step away from a half block and two steps away from a slope (once the game learns the preference). But if you have the half block at the end then it will be one step for a slope but always five for a half block.

That is an extremely valid point, but it's also a question of the frequency of the construction of half-tiles versus the construction of slopes.

Isn't statistics weird, as a concept?

I would rather hit twice every time I wanted to make slopes than five times every time I wanted a half block. I do like my waterfalls though ;-)

Optimally, it would be nice to be able to set the priority over what your hammer does. So, as far as I am aware there are 6 variations that the blocks can be:

Normal Size
Half-Block
Slope (up) right
Slope (up) left
Slope (down) right
Slope (down) left

Right now from what I have experienced, what slopes are prioritised depends on the surrounding blocks around it. Still, it would be nice for you to be able to set priorities. For example, one set-up could be:

1. Normal
2. Slope (up) right
3. Slope (up) left
4. Slope (down) right
5. Slope (down) left
6. Half-Block

And it would be fixed at this setup, regardless of surroundings. If the block you are altering is Normal (as it usually is), then it would go to the second variation.

I think that half blocks should come first. I also think that there should be upside down and side half blocks, and in order to help reduce the pain of cycling through all of them you could right-click with a hammer to go backwards in the cycle

Also, just in case that the conclusion of post #16 (thank you for that by the way) is technologically impossible, I should mention that much of the inspiration for this thread had arisen from the aggravation resulting from non-automated stairforging when placing platforms on a diagonal. This is remedied somewhat in the upcoming 1.3.

I agree that slopes are used more often, but there are also like, 40 gajillion slopes (huge exaggeration but I made it anyway) and only one half tile, so it doesn't bother me to just whack a block twice. It makes sense to have the unique option first and then put all the slopes after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom