Happiness really sucks

Lakmoots

Terrarian
I have to say the happiness system is awful. For almost ten years you could build a town... now I cannot have more than two NPCs together at all, and I have to move them into specific biomes or suffer a penalty.

This has ruined virtually *everyones* castles.

Imagine if Minecraft kept releasing systems that invalidated years of building.

There needs to be a system of improving happiness through items that can be placed... I have no idea why pets do not increase happiness.

Please, please, please take another look at this horrible, horrible system.

As I've said in another thread as well, I'd have to agree. My two main maps have kinda become invalidated now.

It'd be a simple fix: Just remove the price increases when you do choose to have them all live together. Most people would still try to make separate villages to get the NPC bonuses while people like us would at least not have to suffer the penalties.

I do like the new system, but don't let oldies suffer for it.

The penalty should just be you don't get pylons and you don't get a price decrease instead of this price hike nonsense.

You either use negative reinforcement or you use positive reinforcement. You shouldn't use both at the same time unless it's absolutely required.

We basically have a megathread about this at this point, but I don't see this changing unless we get another 1000+ post thread on the subreddit like we did with Torch Luck.

As I've said in another thread as well, I'd have to agree. My two main maps have kinda become invalidated now.

It'd be a simple fix: Just remove the price increases when you do choose to have them all live together. Most people would still try to make separate villages to get the NPC bonuses while people like us would at least not have to suffer the penalties.

I do like the new system, but don't let oldies suffer for it.

I completely agree. I have been using the same world since 1.00.

I really cannot stand the fact that every patch does something new to invalidate old worlds and the longest term players, but the happiness system is simply extreme.

I really couldn't care less how Red wants me to play... in a damn sandbox game!

The worst part is that hardmode was designed to be lethal to your NPCs if they are spread out. The only solution is tight sky boxes in about five places in a hardmode world... it just doesnt work.

PLEASE do something about this.

EDIT: Most posts about Terraria take place on other forums because of the overzealousness and ruthlessness of its mods (they bury anything not positive) please understand that this system has attracted *massive* amounts of hate and continues to...

I really cannot stand the fact that every patch does something new to invalidate old worlds and the longest term players

I've been playing this game since 1.1, and nothing they have done has invalidated me as a player. And I've been against happiness since the day it was announced.

Yes, they "invalidate" old worlds, because we've seen what happens when you don't. You get situations like 1.1, where you're unable to actually add any new content to the front of the game, so all the new stuff is locked behind a new boss. So the initial game is just as empty as it always was. You can't improve the game as a whole; you can only add more stuff to the end of it.

No thanks. I'll take "invalidating old worlds" if it means having a better pre-Hardmode experience with more stuff to find, different biomes to explore, and a wider variety of enemies to fight.

EDIT: Most posts about Terraria take place on other forums because of the overzealousness and ruthlessness of its mods (they bury anything not positive) please understand that this system has attracted *massive* amounts of hate and continues to...

I've yet to see any moderator on this forum do anything of the kind.

There have been plenty of threads debating the "merits" of the Happiness system, how best to fix it, etc. Not one of them was "buried" or suppressed in any way by the moderators. It seems to me that moderators let actual discussion go forward. They allow complaining. What they seem to stop is pointless bickering over well-worn issues in a thread, and out-right personal attacks.

This issue is still burning among forums that allow debate on this issue. Happiness is a system that needs to be changed.

Both Luck and Happiness have been a disaster.

This issue is still burning among forums that allow debate on this issue.

This is the second time you've implied that this forum does not "allow debate on this issue". We have debated the issue. We debated the issue in the very post that introduced the idea. I know we did because I was a strong voice against happiness in that conversation.

No moderator shut down that discussion.

We're not constantly debating it anymore because... it's all been said. All of the points have been stated, and there's nothing more to add. Anything else is just more complaining, more repeating of the same point over and over, and that's not really useful.

And, it should be noted, moderators didn't enforce that; we as a community recognized that we've run out of ways why the mechanic is bad, and we've run out of ways to improve the mechanic. So we haven't been actively discussing it.

So unless you can point to direct examples of the moderators of this site shutting down legitimate discource, please stop attacking the moderation of this site.

Back
Top Bottom