Pixel Art Happy's Pixel Art!

SimeaseKitten

Duke Fishron
Hey! This is SimeaseKitten (well i used to be XxHorrorGamingxX) and I am just starting out as a pixel art gif creator! I don't have a whole bunch but here are some I created!
New Piskel (1).gif
New Piskel (10).gif
New Piskel (11).gif
New Piskel.gif
New Piskel (13).gif

Just starting out but I am taking request so I can get better! I usalley am good at making stuff that are non human. However, anything is ok with me!

Attachments

• New Piskel (1).gif
    New Piskel (1).gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Like less different color?
One: Do NOT use this many shades of gray - notice how a lot of these colors are extremely similar and can be merged into one:
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 8.09.21 PM.png
All the way to this (which can be simplified even more!):
upload_2018-10-5_20-26-17.png

Also, reduce noise. Try to go from this to this:
(Noise is how random and scattered your pixels are)
upload_2018-10-5_20-13-32.png

You should really band your colors together to create the effect of a light on a blade, not scatter about random pixels to try and mimic the effect.
I'm not exactly a good spriter, but I think you want to end up with something like this:
New Piskel (14).png
vs
New Piskel (14).gif

Apologies if the contrast isn't too high...

The darks should also differ from the lights significantly, but not too much...
upload_2018-10-5_20-31-47.png

Shoot for the top palette because the bottom darkest color and top brightest color on the bottom palette contrasts too much with the middle palate, but in the middle, there's barely any contrast at all.

Good luck, and sorry for the long post! I'm not exactly the most qualified person to critique, but this is just what I've heard from others and picked up myself.

Also, when shading, think of the material you want to shade and refer to the guide @KittyKitCatCat posted above.

Advice I have to offer is similar to what @Ai - T.a.S.A.I. said. If you're using any kind of automatic tool to shade your sprites, well, NO. Do it manually and it will look better every time.
Also, Terraria sprites use dark outlines. As a beginning spriter you'll hear that a lot but you only need to do it if you want your sprites to match the game art. otherwise it's fine to have no outline but imo it looks better with one.
Also your palettes have waaay to many colours as Ai pointed out. That sword, for instance, should have at the very most 4 colours for the blade, maybe 5 if you're using a dark outline.
I could talk about hue shading, but that is hard to explain and is an advanced-ish technique that I haven't really mastered myself, but is almost essential if you want to be a good pixel artist.
Good luck, hope everyone's advice helps you improve

Advice I have to offer is similar to what @Ai - T.a.S.A.I. said. If you're using any kind of automatic tool to shade your sprites, well, NO. Do it manually and it will look better every time.
Also, Terraria sprites use dark outlines. As a beginning spriter you'll hear that a lot but you only need to do it if you want your sprites to match the game art. otherwise it's fine to have no outline but imo it looks better with one.
Also your palettes have waaay to many colours as Ai pointed out. That sword, for instance, should have at the very most 4 colours for the blade, maybe 5 if you're using a dark outline.
I could talk about hue shading, but that is hard to explain and is an advanced-ish technique that I haven't really mastered myself, but is almost essential if you want to be a good pixel artist.
Good luck, hope everyone's advice helps you improve
This is what you are aiming for.
TempImage..png
Made by Svante btw.

Yeah, the green on the blade fades into blue. It's a great technique but i think our friend Simease should work on smoother shading before giving hue shifting a go.
Also those are great sprites are they from a mod or something​

Back
Top Bottom