Items Hardmode Dungeon Overhaul

Is it good?

• Total voters
Currently, the Hardmode Dungeon is a bit... lacking.
And has a severe RNG problem.
Basically, the time you stay there is pretty much dependent of RNG.
You could stay there and get everything you want in 30 minutes, or you could be there for hours upon hours.
So, yeah, this thread will mostly be covering RNG issues.

"Broken" Weapons
So, every dungeon drop weapon now drops at a 100% chance.
"But Orange!" I hear you scream. "That would mean you'd be in the dungeon for like 3 seconds!"
Nope, you would still-
"ORANGE!"
LET ME TALK FOR MORE THAN 3 SECONDS YOU BRAT
Okay, so.
All weapons would be BROKEN though, no, not the prefix, I mean actually, 100% broken.
"B-" Hush child.
I know what you're going to say. "But Orange! How do we fix them?" Well... LEMME GET TO THAT YOU WANK.

All weapons require 20 Ectoplas-
"BUT ORRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNG-"
SHUTUP ILL GET TO IT.

Brokenshotgun.png
Broken Tactical Shotgun
Dropped by Tactical Skeletons at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Brokensniper.png
Broken Sniper Rifle
Dropped by Skeleton Snipers at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Rocketlauncher.png
Broken Rocket Launcher
Dropped by Skeleton Commandos at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Spectrestaff.png
Broken Spectre Staff
Dropped by :red: Caste- I mean Ragged Casters at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Infernofork.png
Broken Inferno Fork
Dropped by Diabolists at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Shadowbeam_Staff.png
Broken Shadowbeam Staff
Dropped by Necromancers at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Pallypalhammer.png
Broken Paladin Hammer
Dropped by Paladins at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Pallypalshiueed.png
Broken Paladin Shield.
Dropped by Paladins at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

magnetspehree.png
War-Torn Magnet Sphere
Dropped by Giant Cursed Skulls at a 100% rate.
Has no selling value.
Max stack is 1.

Now, what are their uses?
Well, to make the dungeon weapons, obviously.

Tactical Waifu- I mean Shotgun:
Crafting:
Brokenshotgun.png

Ectoplasm.png

Wood.png

Soul_of_Might.png

Sniper Rifle:
Brokensniper.png

Ectoplasm.png

Iron_Bar.png
/
Lead_Bar.png

Soul_of_Might.png

Rocket Launcher:
Rocketlauncher.png

Ectoplasm.png

Iron_Bar.png
/
Lead_Bar.png

Soul_of_Might.png

Spectre Staff:
Spectrestaff.png

Ectoplasm.png

Fallen_Star.png

Soul_of_Sight.png

Inferno Fork:
Infernofork.png

Ectoplasm.png

Hellstone_Bar.png

Soul_of_Sight.png

Necromancer Staff:
Shadowbeam_Staff.png

Ectoplasm.png

Crystal_Shard.png

Soul_of_Sight.png

Magnet Sphere:
magnetspehree.png

Ectoplasm.png

Book.png

Soul_of_Sight.png

Paladin's Hammer:
Pallypalhammer.png

Ectoplasm.png

Iron_Bar.png
/
Lead_Bar.png

Soul_of_Fright.png

Paladin's Shield:
Pallypalshiueed.png

Ectoplasm.png

Gold_Bar.png
/
Platinum_Bar.png

Soul_of_Fright.png

Now, I know what you're tinking, "But ORRRRRANGE, Wisps are completely spawned by chance and RNG!"
Well, as an added bonus, all Giant Cursed Skulls will now have a 100% chance to spawn a Wisp, and can now spawn under any wall, rarely though, as I'm pretty sure having 10 of them on your back wouldn't be fun.

That's all for now, I plan on adding a bunch of other stuff to this thread.

NO! NONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!
That would clutter your inventory SO much. I already can't get everything in one go!
Couldn't you just.. trash said items if you dont need them?
Plus most of the enemies that drop the items are pretty damn rare so at most you'll only get like, 2 of each weapon.

I honestly think it's a more viable option than having to sit around for hours praying that a Tactical Skelly drops that Tactical Shotgun you've wanted since you killed Plantera, but RNG won't give it to you BECAUSE THE RNG IS A BUTT.

A 20% chance would be acceptable for me. Unorthodox, but it does solve some complaints, I suppose. Still, I think there are better ways to solve RNG.

A 20% chance would be acceptable for me. Unorthodox, but it does solve some complaints, I suppose. Still, I think there are better ways to solve RNG.
Yeah, though lowering the droprate could make it an even bigger pain in the :red:, so.
I say this is good because it's grindy, but you actually feel like you're accomplishing something when a piece of it fits and drops.

Hmm. Still, I'd be happy with a 20% chance, since that means I doubt I'd need to spend more than 20 or so minutes in that hell hole.

Off topic: Broken sprites are pretty funny to make, all I have to do is set interpolation to none and rotate it to a random angle.

Umm, no. Taking away RNG takes the fun out of endgame to the point that it's practically pointless.
I don't get how people find RNG fun.
Like, it either gives you stuff instantly, or it :red:s you over and makes you have to sit in the dungeon for hours.
It's all random, and that is annoying.

What could be a fun, 1-2 hour run in a dungeon turns into a 7-8 hour boring grindfest.

I like the core concept, but having high drop rates on things you can't stack would be horrendously inventory-cluttering. I don't see any reason they shouldn't be stackable.

I don't get how people find RNG fun.
Like, it either gives you stuff instantly, or it :red:s you over and makes you have to sit in the dungeon for hours.
It's all random, and that is annoying.

What could be a fun, 1-2 hour run in a dungeon turns into a 7-8 hour boring grindfest.
I guess instead of fun i meant challenge. With this there is no challenge. I agree rng isnt fun, but at least its some kind of challenge...

I guess instead of fun i meant challenge. With this there is no challenge. I agree rng isnt fun, but at least its some kind of challenge...
Killing the exact same enemy over and over again isn't a challenge.
It's boring.
And can be even less of a challenge if you make an autofarm.

A challenge would be something like a hard boss fight to get the loot, like with Fishron.

Lower the Drop rate to,Maybe 20%
That way,There is a Reason To stay in the Dungeon for more than 5 Minutes

Killing the exact same enemy over and over again isn't a challenge.
It's boring.
And can be even less of a challenge if you make an autofarm.

A challenge would be something like a hard boss fight to get the loot, like with Fishron.
Ok, so if thats what you consider a challenge, why not make those enemies much stronger, like minibosses, and make the drops 33% instead of 100%, which is much more like boss drops? I see what youre saying, but 100% to get something that can be crafted easily is kind of cheap.

But ORAAAAAAAAAANGEEEEE
It would be a little .. overpowered...
Guess why the paladins hammer is so rare?

pretty cool idea but needs some work like maybe make it 50% drop chance plus the enemies are rare as heck so maybe turn down the droprate but still a cool idea

Even though I kinda like this, I can't support it.
The hardmode dungeon loot was built around RNG (I guess Red thought that RNG balance stuf so ye), so changing it to this would be really unfitting and it doesn't looks like the best solution. . .
The best solution (other than keeping it like it is) would be remaking the dungeon so it is build around something other than RNG (like new chests that require a new key dropped by post-plantera dungeon enemies)

But ORAAAAAAAAAANGEEEEE
It would be a little .. overpowered...
Guess why the paladins hammer is so rare?
Rareness doesn't equal hardness to get.
Imagine that, let's say, slimes had a suoer gun that did 999999 damage and dropped at 0.000000001%.
There will always be that one guy who gets it on his 5th kill and then dominate for the rest of the game.
Does that make it hard to get?
No, just hook up some slime statues and enjoy AFKing.

Ok, so if thats what you consider a challenge, why not make those enemies much stronger, like minibosses, and make the drops 33% instead of 100%, which is much more like boss drops? I see what youre saying, but 100% to get something that can be crafted easily is kind of cheap.
This is a good idea, actually, but the point of this is to not screw the player over by making him sit in the dungeon for a few centuries.
If we make the enemies RARE MINIBOSSES, they should at least have a 80-100% drop chance, as a 33% drop is too low for a rare miniboss type enemy.
Which is mainly why farming Paladin Hammers is the pain in the :red:.

Even though I kinda like this, I can't support it.
The hardmode dungeon loot was built around RNG (I guess Red thought that RNG balance stuf so ye), so changing it to this would be really unfitting and it doesn't looks like the best solution. . .
The best solution (other than keeping it like it is) would be remaking the dungeon so it is build around something other than RNG (like new chests that require a new key dropped by post-plantera dungeon enemies)
I actually do plan on adding more, for now this is just the beginning, I want to make the dungeon an exciting place where you can get new weapons and gear, and fight challenging enemies.

Again, I appreciate the feedback lads. Every bit helps, and I'll be updating the OP over time to have even more stuff in it.

Back
Top Bottom