Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I've been restoring world backups and beating the Wall of Flesh for the past half-hour, and after finally getting exhausted with the hallow generating on the non-jungle side of the map, decided to take some screenshots to compare. Turns out, not only are the two halves of the "V" generating on the same sides each time, they're generating in the exact same way, right down to the last block:
hallowgenbug1.png

hallowgenbug2.gif
Those screenshots were taken in two completely different Terraria sessions, several backup-restores and WoFs apart. I can go and do it again and take yet another screenshot with the hallow blocks and walls in precisely the same locations, if you like.

I will not allow hardmode to start unless the hallow generates on the jungle side of the map, so this bug is a hard game-ender for me.

I've been restoring world backups and beating the Wall of Flesh for the past half-hour, and after finally getting exhausted with the hallow generating on the non-jungle side of the map, decided to take some screenshots to compare. Turns out, not only are the two halves of the "V" generating on the same sides each time, they're generating in the exact same way, right down to the last block:
Those screenshots were taken in two completely different Terraria sessions, several backup-restores and WoFs apart. I can go and do it again and take yet another screenshot with the hallow blocks and walls in precisely the same locations, if you like.

I will not allow hardmode to start unless the hallow generates on the jungle side of the map, so this bug is a hard game-ender for me.
Oh I don’t think it’s a bug, t probably just how it enervated(don’t know why that word came up, stupid auto correct, bu it’s how It is entered or working?) for the seed. I might test this out for myself(and this will help 100% with my hallow build in prehardmode if it isn’t a bug)

The "V" generation is dependant on your world seed, it seems. I believe it is random for worlds generated before 1.3.4 however, as those worlds don't have an internally stored world seed.

I'm going to die a little inside if this is intentional.

Forcing hallow on the jungle side is the only reversible way to preserve the jungle until large-scale biome management becomes feasible. It's a priceless tool for builders (or anyone who prefers to play slowly) and would be extremely thoughtless to remove.

To add insult to injury, the seed is the only thing in the world file that TEdit can't touch, so I can't even solve it myself if I wanted to.

You pretty much have two options to preserve the jungle. Either, import a Clentaminator + Green Solution from an alternative world. Or, construct 6 block wide/tall hellavators and tunnels that will at least quarantine the Corruption to a specific area. You could do this with either TEdit, or you could do it manually.

OI was actually wondering this myself: whether the 'V' was based on the position of the WoF when you killed it, or whether it was based on the seed (or truly random). I guess this answers that question pretty handily.

This is quite interesting. don't think if anyone combared it before, where exactly the V appears upon entering hardmode - or if they did, I didn't seen those threads.
It's interesting if the V always generate in the exact same spot.

So, maybe the seed pre-determines the exact location of the V?

there's another interesting thing I read.
Dungeon color is an indicator which side the hallow, and the evil will generate upon entering hardmode.
blue dungeon - evil on the left
pink dungeon - evil on the right
green dungeon - random (or, I guess, secret. since the game already knows it, just won't tell)
I'm not sure if this is true, but it would worth experimenting some more with this too.

on the same line, what is the color of the dungeon on this map, and which side the evil generated?

Unfortunately this is intentional, but I personally really don't like it either.

Back in the days of 1.2.4.1 / 1.3, the hardmode V stripes were random - the side each evil generated on, the starting point and the angle were different each time WoF was defeated. The introduction of world seeds removed this randomness. The world seed guarantees the V stripe is static and it won't change no matter how many times you restore the world and defeat WoF again.
(Note: I don't know how the seed corresponds to the V stripe, e.g. how it correlates which side the C/C/H generate on.)

I really miss the random nature of the V stripes. :(

Well, I managed to work around this pointless anti-feature by generating seeds until I found one that spawned the hallow on the right, importing the entire terrain of my world into it with TEdit, beating the WoF to generate the V, then re-importing the terrain back into my main world and manually enabling hardmode. This is a lot of obnoxious busywork for something that should be as simple as copying a single file a few times.

If any devs are still paying attention, please reconsider this baffling decision. I can't think of anything useful that it achieves, and it imposes unnecessary work on builders trying to cultivate nice worlds to build in.

This is quite interesting. don't think if anyone combared it before, where exactly the V appears upon entering hardmode - or if they did, I didn't seen those threads.
It's interesting if the V always generate in the exact same spot.

So, maybe the seed pre-determines the exact location of the V?

there's another interesting thing I read.
Dungeon color is an indicator which side the hallow, and the evil will generate upon entering hardmode.
blue dungeon - evil on the left
pink dungeon - evil on the right
green dungeon - random (or, I guess, secret. since the game already knows it, just won't tell)
I'm not sure if this is true, but it would worth experimenting some more with this too.

on the same line, what is the color of the dungeon on this map, and which side the evil generated?
Dungeon theory proved right, my pink dungeon told me that evil to right, and evil to right two times!(ughhh stupid corruption ruining my builds in hardcore, guess I should include clentaminator then)

This happened to me in a new world generated probably around 1.4.0.3. The Hallow generated right on the edge of an existing Corruption biome. One of those infamous pits was even Hallowed. No idea why it happened, but this is kind of interesting.

This happened to me in a new world generated probably around 1.4.0.3. The Hallow generated right on the edge of an existing Corruption biome. One of those infamous pits was even Hallowed. No idea why it happened, but this is kind of interesting.
Yeah, the “V” is placed random over the world, but the biomes won’t change, example my desert pylon’s right wasn’t overtaken by corruption, in same seed(copied world) went into hardmode again, but instead of corruption to the right of the desert pylon, it was at the left of the desert pylon(still corrupting my build*sigh*)

Well, I managed to work around this pointless anti-feature by generating seeds until I found one that spawned the hallow on the right, importing the entire terrain of my world into it with TEdit, beating the WoF to generate the V, then re-importing the terrain back into my main world and manually enabling hardmode. This is a lot of obnoxious busywork for something that should be as simple as copying a single file a few times.

If any devs are still paying attention, please reconsider this baffling decision. I can't think of anything useful that it achieves, and it imposes unnecessary work on builders trying to cultivate nice worlds to build in.
Hey, I had the same issue and ended up doing the same thing because of this post, did you manage to find a way to transfer the map data from your first world to the second? I have tried copying the original .map file and renaming it with the name of the second world, and I also tried opening up the generated .map file of the second world and replacing the contents of the file with the contents of the first world's .map file, and neither of these has worked.

I've seen multiple posts addressing transferring map data from one player to the next, but nothing about copying map data from one world to another world of a different name, although perhaps understandably because it is pretty specific.

On a side note, I wondered if perhaps it was just not recognizing the new file as valid because of mismatched ID numbers or seed numbers, but I wasn't able to find them in the file anywhere, so that rules that out. Honestly, I'm just grasping at straws at this point, who knows how the code works.

Wouldn't it be easier to put a mark in the tedit about killing the Wall of Flesh and manually draw a V where it is more convenient for you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom