Has anyone gotten Chlorophyte to work as advertised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylia

Terrarian
So in my playthrough, I've got Crimson creeping up on my Jungle. Now, I dug a small trench around the affected area and that seems to have stopped the growth, but then I decided that I'd test how powerful Chlorophyte is.

I grabbed a piece of ore and stuck it next to a block of mud and some dirt with crimson grass on it on the surface.

Checked it 5+ game days later.... not a single block was re-converted, not the dirt underneath the block with the grass on it, not the grass, nothing.

This was before Plantera was killed. I then killed Plantera, and then came back several game days after that (it took me nearly an in-game week to dig out the area around Golem's room), came back....

........not a single dirt block was converted to mud.

So, what gives? Does this not work as advertised? Or doesn't it work on the surface (that would kinda stink, because that would mean there's no way to recover the surface jungle).

I can confirm that Chlorophyte does NOT work on the surface, will try underground in a bit.

I put some more Chlorophyte (8-10 blocks) together next to some Crimson, and I came back 6-8 game days later, and not a single block was touched:

2F4A56A2BCD3F7792D659A765DFF5BDB0E64A091

As you can see, it didn't convert a single dirt block into mud. There are two mud blocks underneath the Chlorophyte you can barely see; those were present before I put the Chlorophyte there.

Sorry, I've never heard of it turning dirt to mud, just mud to chlorophyte. I've got a farm for that down at cavern level and that works fine. If it REALLY bothers you that much you can always make mud from dirt blocks yourself and replace... I'll try and see if I can get it to work later when I get home.
I thought of something while I typed this: Is the rate for dirt2mud longer than mud2chlorophyte? maybe you just didnt wait long enough

From 1.3.0.0 Patch Notes:

Chlorophyte can now revert Corruption or Crimson spread. It also turns nearby dirt into mud.

EDIT:

I thought of something while I typed this: Is the rate for dirt2mud longer than mud2chlorophyte? maybe you just didnt wait long enough

I waited 10+ game days and not one single block was converted.

It doesn't work on the surface.
I hope this helps.

Intentional or bug I wonder, because as I said above... it makes no sense for them to make this change, and then make it so that it doesn't work on the surface, lol.

Chlorophyte will only spread in mud though it can convert dirt into mud and spread into that. This ability is not limited to height but does not work above ground levels.
Chlorophyte will only spread in Hardmode worlds.
http://terraria.wiki.gg/Chlorophyte_Ore
It probably is a bug. I hope they can change it. Who doesn't want afk farming while you remove crimson or corruption.

I managed to see dirt blocks near chlorophyte being converted to mud. It only works underground and not even in the first 100/200 tiles of underground. The process is quite slow, it doesn't compete with corruption/crimson spread, therefore dirt to mud conversion cannot be seen when near corruption/crimson.
So yeah at best this feature is just a little buffer to protect the jungle or a slow process of mending it if it was damaged and you managed to cleanse and quarantine it from corruption/crimson.

Better to rely on good old digging to protect your jungle.

Edit: i have seen the process in completly corrupted areas with large patches of ore (about 10-15). This doesn't make it more useful though...

Last edited:
ok so it doesn't even really work much, now can we get jungle to just be "infected" by corruption/hallow like every other biome?

I think the problem is that if Chlorophyte can convert mud on the surface, that it would also spread Chlorophyte on the surface. Digging a tunnel to protect just the surface is really not much of an undertaking. Generally, it's not even a tunnel really. Just clip off 4-5 tiles of mud/grass and replace them with pretty much any other block in the game, and the surface jungle is fully protected.

I'm pretty sure that protecting the underground jungle isnt really a problem, even before 1.3, since crimruption can turn mud into dirt but, when legitimately underground, the biome grass cant actually spread to those new dirt blocks. Since the underground jungle has very little stone (the main area of it at least), it was never really in any risk. It's only the surface jungle that has this problem, and chlorophyte obviously can't protect it there.

I'm pretty sure that protecting the underground jungle isnt really a problem, even before 1.3, since crimruption can turn mud into dirt but, when legitimately underground, the biome grass cant actually spread to those new dirt blocks. Since the underground jungle has very little stone (the main area of it at least), it was never really in any risk. It's only the surface jungle that has this problem, and chlorophyte obviously can't protect it there.

There's more stone than you realize, and underground, once you get 1 square of Corrupt/Crimson Grass underground... pretty soon half of the whole jungle will be covered with Corruption/Crimson Grass, Ebon/Shadewood trees, and lots and lots of Corrupt/Crimson thorns everywhere.

The biome grass very much DOES spread underground. Grass will not grow on dirt underground, if there's no grass already there, HOWEVER, Jungle Grass can easily be corrupted, its block turned to dirt, and the grass turned to Corruption/Crimson Grass. I've seen a Medium World Jungle get half-eaten because it was next to a Natural Corruption biome, I tried to dig some tunnels around it, but apparently I missed a spot and by the time I was ready to go mine Chlorophyte (this was in 1.2.4.1), half of the jungle was gone, replaced by lots of corruption grass everywhere and lots of corruption mobs.

And given that there's no way to turn dirt back into mud without crafting it and re-planting the grass, which would take an incredibly long time, there's no way to repair the damage until this Chlorophyte fix... but... it doesn't work on the surface. All this "fix" does is protect the underground jungle and/or undo some of the damage that has already been done, and/or help the jungle expand a little until it hits the rest of the underground/caverns where it is all stone and it can't spread any further because there's not enough dirt.

Ah, that is a shame it isn't working... it sounded like a neat idea. I used to carve my worlds into slices before entering hardmode, and then immediately hitting all the corruption/crimson and hallow parts (except for a couple small areas) with the Cleminator??? and green solution and basically wiping the infestations out before they could get started...

... maybe the devs could add a *dark green* solution in the next patch that turned dirt/forest into mud/jungle? (similar to the dark blue solution that turns jungle into mushroom biome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom