Having trouble finding a Trifold map...

CaliCaliCali

Terrarian
Has it been removed/changed recently? According to the wiki it should be a 1% drop from light mummies, but so far 630 zombies in, and not a single one has dropped. I've got 15+ megaphones, a few mummy outfits, over 150 unicorn horns, and 15 or so shiny apples just sitting in the desert farming. It's been about 3 hours or so now. I've tried using battle potions and water candles just to up the spawn rate, but still it's taking forever.

So again, has the drop been changed recently or am I just ridiculously unlucky?

EDIT: I've been using the Deadly Sphere staff and the Bee Armor to summon 3 deadly spheres and have been sitting afk in a box letting them do the killing. Could it be that killing the mummies with summons doesn't drop the map?

Last edited:
If you have a hardmode expert mode world available, it may be better to build a farm in that world instead. Many (but not all) items have higher drop rates in expert mode. (For AFK farming in an expert world, spider or tiki armor will probably keep you safer than bee armor, which may or may not be necessary depending on your farm design.)

Quite frankly, you are just rather unlucky. RNG is a real pain sometimes. Although the chance of getting at least one trifold map from 630 light mummies is 1-(99/100)^630, or 99.8%, keep in mind that the probabilities are independent. Even if you've killed millions of light mummies, the probability of the next one dropping a trifold map remains at 1%.

You're killing the wrong type of Mummy.
I've got 15+ megaphones, a few mummy outfits, over 150 unicorn horns, and 15 or so shiny apples just sitting in the desert farming.
Megaphones drop from Dark Mummies. It sounds like you have an area where Crimson/Corruption and Hallow meet. If you're getting Megaphones from Mummies, you have the wrong type of mummies spawning.
http://terraria.wiki.gg/Mummy

I advise you try to get a Trifold Map from Giant Bats instead. Giant Bats are more numerous and easier to find. You're likely to get a Trifold Map from them in normal underground exploration.

Edit: Disregard what I said about killing the wrong type of Mummy. It may still be the case, but it's more likely the Megaphones came from Pixies. My advice for killing Giant Bats instead still stands.

You are really unlucky, just yesterday I farmed about 150 light mummies and then I get a Trifold Map. But it seems to you using a really slow technique. Try with spider or tiki armor and twins or spider minions.

I made a flat underground plain of hallowed desert and summoned 5 ravens. Checked in every 5 minutes to pick up drops and eventually got it. Using battle potions and water candles of course.

Make a very hallow space underground about 350 blocks wide and 125 blocks tall, and wait,for bats to spawn. (You can speed it up with grinders)

Does it have to be exactly 350 by 125, or is that a minimum?
Be aware you necroposted, so the original folks may not be watching this thread anymore.

But there's nothing exact here, Night of the Sun was handwaving an excessively large arena for offscreen spawning. Personally, I got my trifold map as a side effect: I was lava-fishing in the deep caverns, and I'd slapped a Lightning Aura on a nearby ledge to intercept bats. Which it did, including Giant Bats. ;)

And addressing CaliCaliCali's original comment, killing stuff with minions (or sentries) gets normal drops. Traps don't always, but AFAIK that's only an issue for statue farming, which wouldn't help you for Trifold Maps anyway.

Back
Top Bottom