Short Story He Who Was Once The Best

P.T.G

Terrarian
I was once the best. I shall not forget it.
Not a single day went by that I was not met by at least one admirer. That is forgotten now. All the Humans in this world were good to me, all the Entities respected and feared me. And for good reason. Not that there are many humans in the world anymore.

Let me start from the beginning. I was different from the people the world normally forms and chooses to become a Player. However, I was still recognized by the Guide as a Player. How he does it, I do not know. But my difference was physical: I stood massive, much taller than the norm. Much bulkier too. Even the Guide was astonished. My strength and speed,as I soon realized, was off the charts. My Guide could only stare as I swung my pickaxe and Pinky, as said by the Guide, was instantly a pile of gel. As the other Non-Player Humans came, they were also astonished. They told me what I needed to do. Told me who the guardians of this world were. The All-Seeing Eye. The World's Eater. The All-Knowing Brain. The Bone Guard. The Stinger of the Jungle. And finally, the Wall of Flesh, the demon that bound the two spirits. I struck them all down easily, only helped by weaponry I had discovered from deep within the caverns. And as I felt in my soul the two spirits blazing through the earth, struggling against each other, I felt powerful. But also power-hungry. I needed more.

This time, I summoned Wall of Flesh again. But I stopped him. I told him to talk with me. Being defeated much too easily the first time by my Night's Edge, he agreed.
I asked him what to do next. He said that the other bosses had much more powerful, mechanical versions created by an cosmic metal said to be stronger than any other in this world. I asked him what I needed to defeat them. He told me the secrets of the Demon Altars, that a powerful holy artifact can destroy them once and for all and unlock metals that came pretty close to the boss metal's power. He gave it to me. The Pwnhammer.

I smashed away, ultimately gleaning the secret of Adamantite weaponry and armor. I defeated them all with ease, like I did their previous incarnations. "Now," I roared at them. "I need your metal! I must become the most powerful person in the past, present, and future of this world! I must be more powerful than you!"
They told me that I was drunk on my attributes. They said my strength would not matter if my arrogance got the better of me. I didn't care. I didn't listen. I don't think I was even listening that much. All I wanted was POWER.
Eventually, they told me that beneath the heart of nature in this world lies the physical avatar of nature, a monster of deceiving looks. They said that this avatar of nature knows of the very secrets of the universe, for it is nature; anything not created by man. I gladly thanked them. They just laughed, knowing I was doomed. I didn't think so at first...
The monster looked pretty harmless and stupid. A giant flower. Oh really? But I kept tearing at it with my weapons, and it finally wilted and fell. That's when I realized: Defeating a monster doesn't usually take me this long...
Beneath the flower a massive, twisted growth of plant matter created a crudely formed mouth. Small vines extended from it, growing into mouths. And its maw was glowing white. I slashed and stabbed, but to no avail. It was impossible to defeat. It was nature itself. I had finally met my match.

Suddenly the white light glowed brighter from within its mouth. FOOL, "Nature" said. You wish to find out the secrets of the universe? Let me help you!
The light enveloped me. I saw undescribable visions, I saw the destiny of many other people. I saw the history of this world, how the Spirits of Light and Dark were created, what they did, why the guardians were chosen. And the visions still haunt me. They nearly drove me to madness. I still am not sure why I am in control of my mind.
I fell to my knees, clutching my head. And now, Nature mocked, you know. But since you know, you are not allowed to be not part of the world itself. And so, you will be INTEGRATED! A powerful vortex opened, driven by a force that I'd seen in the visions I cannot describe. At that moment, I realized that my strength, my speed, my POWER, were nothing. I should have listened to the mechanical guardians. They were right. My arrogance had driven me to fight an unimaginable force, and I failed.
I heard Nature from within an infinite expanse of gray that I seemed to be trapped in. Well then. I suppose we should give you what you wanted all along. But not in the way you intended it, of course.
All of a sudden, a hunk of metal, seemingly the "cosmic" one, appeared. I watched as it took shape and formed into a perfectly polished suit of armor. It was meant for an imposing and godly figure, by the looks of it. And it was floating toward me...
The suit fit, but it burned. And suddenly I became aware of a strange sensation. I looked down in surprise and saw the suit melting into my body, fusing, causing me extreme pain in the process. I tried to scream, but the armor's helmet piece slammed onto my head, fusing my face and skull into it. The pain seemed endless, horrible, and I still remember it now. The only places free of pain were my hands. I was now coated-no, combined-with one piece of really heavy armor; the separate pieces had also fused. Now, two other items were formed out of the metal. One was huge and circular; the other, short and blunt. The two fused themselves to my hands, the searing pain no longer a shock to me, but it didn't make it any better. Now you are free to move, said Nature. I tried jumping, but couldn't; the armor was too heavy. I tried sprinting for a way out of this. I could barely step forward. The armor was preventing my movements. Now...try this. Nature chuckled, and several figures burst into view, recognized as monsters from the world I had been in. A zombie, a bat, a skeleton, an Eater of Souls, a Crimera, a hornet, and a demon. Hit one. I didn't know how I was supposed to. I could barely move. Or I could...throw? So I threw what was in my left hand- the blunt one. At once I perceived a feeling of tearing off, and another of-again-pain, as if it was still my hand and it had gotten cut off. I grimaced-if I could have at that time- as the object hit the skeleton. It vanished, and the others did too. You have chosen. Nature's voice returned. So be it.The world went black again.

I opened my eyes. I was in a long, narrow twisting path made of strange pink bricks. I noticed other paths leading every which way. I found I could still move as I stood up, but as slow as I was wearing the suit of armor...and I was. The two objects were still my hands. And suddenly, this strange pathway made me frightened and afraid, the first time I've been since first arriving in the world. I lashed out, throwing what was my left hand, sending it at the walls, all the while feeling my hand torn off, and being fused again, but I welcomed the pain. Anything to get me out. But it didn't work. I'm stuck forever, I think. I've been stuck down here for as long as I can remember. I don't think I will ever get out. Stuck. Stuck with eternal pain.
I'll be waiting for...a Player? Yes, that was it. I'll be waiting for a Player. I hope they find me. I hope...
paladin-jpg.79043

I hope they can finally free me...

Back
Top Bottom