Game Mechanics Hell Bait should not allow Lava fishing/Useful Hotline Rod

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
As of now, your rod suddenly becomes magically immune to lava if you simply use a hell critter as bait. This, obviously, does not make sense. Plus, you can do this trick to repeatedly fish in lava until you find the lavaproof fishing hook that... allows you to fish in lava, making the hotline rod completely useless. This should be fixed.

I suggest instead that the lavaproof fishing hook or upgrades be required to fish in lava.

Now you may say "But wait, the lavaproof fishing hook is obtained by fishing in lava". Fear not! It would now be rewarded by the angler at a rate of 25%, but only when turning in the demonic hellfish (similar to the way the honey sponge works with the Bumblebee tuna). Along with this change, the demonic hellfish would now be caught exclusively by lavafishing in hell, and only available after the 35th quest.

Why the 35th quest? Because the 35th quest would now be the hotline fishing hook rod, so until you find the hotline fishing hook, you now CAN fish in lava, but with 5% less fishing power (than using the golden rod). This makes the lavaproof fishing hook actually useful for a small window of time, unlike in vanilla where you only have a 1% to get it. in hardmode. after the 25th quest but are guaranteed the golden rod at 30. But once you get the lavaproof hook, you're obviously going to just use the golden rod from that point forward. Also the hot line hook's current availability after quest 25 at a chance of 1% would have to be removed.

As a reminder, here are how the quests line up (the lines starting with * are my suggestions):
5: fuzzy carrot guaranteed
10: angler hat guaranteed
15: angler vest guaranteed
20: angler pants guaranteed
25: hot line available (1% chance) <Removed
30: golden rod guaranteed (at this point you have best water fishing gear)
*35: hot line guaranteed (at this point you would now be able to fish in lava)
*45: lavaproof hook guaranteed? (at this point you would use the golden rod instead)
*50: Rubber Worm, a new infinite ammo item for fishing.

Oh and Hell critter bait would instead give a boost when fishing in the underworld to distinguish it from other baits described in my post here: Better Biome/Critter Fishing

Last edited:
how can you catch demonic hell fish for hotline and lava proof fishing hook if you can't fish in lava
The lavaproof hook would be awarded for turning in the demonic hell fish, not caught in lava the way it currently is. The demonic hellfish would not be exclusive to lava fishing, so how do you catch it? with the hot line rod, which as stated in the initial post, would now be awarded at 35.

The lavaproof hook would be awarded for turning in the demonic hell fish, not caught in lava the way it currently is. The demonic hellfish would not be exclusive to lava fishing, so how do you catch it? with the hot line rod, which as stated in the initial post, would now be awarded at 35.
oh i thought you said no hotline fishing rod before lavaproof fishing hook. sorry

I don't get why realism is so important here that using hell critters as lava bait is considered a bad thing?
I dont think he means that using hell critters is a bad thing when he suggests that they give a boost. Also realism is important when two real thing interact. Like fishing rods and lava

hotline fishing rod gives a massive bonus to catch speed and power when you use it with another source of lava fishing. I don't think calling it useless is warranted especially when said bonus also makes it better than golden fishing rod in said instance.
I still stand by this.

Why must you keep writing suggestions that makes the game just more annoying, not everything in this game is supposed to make sense. There are unicorns and Cthulhu entities.
I dont think it is about everything in the game must make sense. I think it is about separating made up fiction with references to real things. Ofcourse terraria is a game with magic in it but there are also non-magical things like fishing rods and lava, and when these interact we conceptualize how it is going to work

I dont think it is about everything in the game must make sense. I think it is about separating made up fiction with references to real things. Ofcourse terraria is a game with magic in it but there are also non-magical things like fishing rods and lava, and when these interact we conceptualize how it is going to work
I'd say the lava in this game is pretty magical considering it's actually one of the least dangerous substances in expert mode. Hell I think the presence of fish of all things in lava is pretty magical too.

I just don't see the point in making changes to the game that just make it annoying for the average playerbase, maybe a special seed where there is more realism but I don't think it's a good idea to making fishing, and in addition lava fishing an even more hated and tedious mechanic.

I just don't see the point in making changes to the game that just make it annoying for the average playerbase, maybe a special seed where there is more realism but I don't think it's a good idea to making fishing, and in addition lava fishing an even more hated and tedious mechanic.
Do you think making things work as you expect them to make it annoying for people? perhaps making it so that it is clear when you can fish and cannot will make less of a tedious task to fish in lava because you wont have to guess if it is working or not. In addition to that boosting the underworld critters I think will improve the fishing in the underworld experience

Do you think making things work as you expect them to make it annoying for people?
Yes, I do, actually. There are several things I have to do irl that annoy me, like using the restroom. The Terrarian kinda looks like a human, so should we make them sit on a toilet for a moment every once in a while when playing? Adding things to the game just for the sake of realism can make it more annoying to play; Terraria's already a cluster of constant fantasy nonsense, and I don't think we should just change things because "it's not realistic"; Hardly any of it is.

Perhaps making it so that it is clear when you can fish and cannot will make less of a tedious task to fish in lava because you wont have to guess if it is working or not.
Lava fishing is a tedious task not because it's unclear, but because it takes much, much longer to catch a fish in Lava than it does in water. This time can actually be improved by having multiple sources of Lava Fishing, so removing Hell Bait's ability to fish in Lava would actually make it more tedious to fish in lava, not less.

Last edited:
The hotline fishing rod isn't useless, and the reason it isn't useless is because of how lava fishing works.

There are 3 items that enable lava fishing:
Lava bait
Lavaproof Fishing Hook
Hotline Fishing Rod

Importantly, while having 1 enables fishing, having 2 speeds up the catch rate significantly, meaning you should optimally have 2/3 active at a time if you want to fish in lava. Having all 3 gives no extra boost.

Because the maximum bait power of lava bait is 35% and the hotline fishing rod has 45% fishing power, it is more optimal to use the Hotline Fishing Rod + Lavaproof Fishing Hook + Master bait (95% Power) than it is to use Golden Fishing Rod + Lavaproof Fishing Hook + Magma Snails (85% Power). It also saves time on gathering bait as it's more common for you to have stacks of master bait than a full lava bait farm.

Or, in other words, Hotline fishing rod is actually better than the golden fishing rod in lava.

The only thing I'd change about it is make it obtainable pre-hardmode.

This doesn't make sense when there's a magical lava elemental creature between your fishing rod and lava
Maybe it gives magic heat resistance to the fishing rod

Back
Top Bottom