Weapons & Equip Hellbolt Greaves: Frostspark Boots + Lava Waders

For the record, Frostspark+Lava Waders combo was stated to be probably too strong shortly after 1.2, and a LOT of things have changed in the game since then. I'm not saying that nullifies the original official statement, but it opens up the potential for reassessment, so lets treat this as more or less "neutral" ground, rather than fighting over it, alright?

This was already confirmed to be never getting to the game by Red.

He has stated that Lava Waders + Frostspark Boots is too OP as it is, a tinker of the two providing an extra accessory slot would be moreso.

Too OP? Let me remind you of one item that was added in 1.3!

Celestial shell... Increased damage, critical chance, defence melee speed, life regeneration, mining speed, minion knockback, infinite oxygen, ability to swim and move freely in liquids. And if that wasn't enough, you get FURTHER increased damage, critical chance, life regeneration and defence.

We also have the ankh shield (mentioned by someone else) that can be made early hardmode.

Too OP? Let me remind you of one item that was added in 1.3!

Celestial shell... Increased damage, critical chance, defence melee speed, life regeneration, mining speed, minion knockback, infinite oxygen, ability to swim and move freely in liquids. And if that wasn't enough, you get FURTHER increased damage, critical chance, life regeneration and defence.

We also have the ankh shield (mentioned by someone else) that can be made early hardmode.

But all of these are to be gotten very late in the game.

While this can be gotten before you even kill Skeletron.

For the record, Frostspark+Lava Waders combo was stated to be probably too strong shortly after 1.2, and a LOT of things have changed in the game since then. I'm not saying that nullifies the original official statement, but it opens up the potential for reassessment, so lets treat this as more or less "neutral" ground, rather than fighting over it, alright?
That brings up a good point I hoped to make. The Celestial Shell is a good example of an accessory that has space in 1.3, but it doesn't confer too many bonuses either, just stat increases and the transformations if I'm correct. The Frostspark Boots and Lava Waders could become something stronger, perhaps an alternate for wings.

EDIT: Obviously, gate it past Pre-Hardmode. Fragments could be in the recipe.

In my opinion it's not about it being overpowered, it's about removing an element of the game: Choosing which accessories to use in different situations.
if the most useful accessories in the game would be combineable so players are basically ready for any situation then this aspect of the game would be removed.

In my opinion it's not about it being overpowered, it's about removing an element of the game: Choosing which accessories to use in different situations.
if the most useful accessories in the game would be combineable so players are basically ready for any situation then this aspect of the game would be removed.

That's why I use vanity slots.

I'd like to see it happen. I just don't think it's a battle worth engaging in. There are much better additions/improvements to advocate IMO.

But all of these are to be gotten very late in the game.

While this can be gotten before you even kill Skeletron.

I was stating there are much stronger accessories in the game. Also it is very unlikely that someone would obtain a water walking boots, obsidian skull, lava charm, ice skates, anklet of the winds, aglet, rocket boots and flurry boots/Hermes boots before they defeat skeletron.

Water walking boots only 1:15 spawn chance in water chests.
Lava charm has a 2.5% chance to appear in gold chests in the caverns layer (at low depths only)
Ice stakes are found only in ice chests.
Rocket boots require the player to have defeated the goblin invasion and finding the goblin tinker underground (not to mention the small cost for the rocket boots at 5 gold and 7 gold for the tinkers' workshop)
Anklet of the winds can only be found in jungle chests
Aglet can only be found in wooden chests
Hermes boots/fluffy boots can be found in gold chests or ice chests

So this accessory would require a serious grind to be obtained before skeletron as you will need to dig up most of your world to locate most of the required accessories.

I recommend most of the people on TCF - maybe even Re-Logic themselves - to reconsider what their definition of "overpowered" is.

Shadowflame Knives and Bow are overpowered.
An accessory that lets you walk on water is not.
Shadowflame stuff isn't overpowered.

With Shadowflame Knives, you can kill the Twins and Skelly Prime with low-tier armor. I don't know about the Destroyer.
I haven't tried the Bow, but it clearly blows all repeaters out of the water and you can get it immediately after WoF.

The knives are! They're a direct upgrade to the Magic Daggers (can inflict a debuff, does melee damage (therefore can benifit from melee bonuses), can be thrown by holding down the mouse button, and don't use a SINGLE point of mana (and probably does more damage)) that can be gotten BEFORE the weapon they're an upgrade to!

With Shadowflame Knives, you can kill the Twins and Skelly Prime with low-tier armor. I don't know about the Destroyer.
I haven't tried the Bow, but it clearly blows all repeaters out of the water and you can get it immediately after WoF.
Pretty much anything blows Repeaters away. Shadowflame is about on par with Ice Bow. The trade off is velocity and accuracy for piercing and burning. Shadowflame knives are just amazing, but not op.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439683816,1439683767][/DOUBLEPOST]So once again it comes down to mages "Waaaaaaa a melee weapon does more damage then a magic weapon, THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN WE MUST REMAIN AT THE TOP" I swear no offense I just call it like I see it.

Pretty much anything blows Repeaters away. Shadowflame is about on par with Ice Bow. The trade off is velocity and accuracy for piercing and burning. Shadowflame knives are just amazing, but not op.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439683816,1439683767][/DOUBLEPOST]So once again it comes down to mages "Waaaaaaa a melee weapon does more damage then a magic weapon, THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN WE MUST REMAIN AT THE TOP" I swear no offense I just call it like I see it.
Look, all I'm saying is there are many unbalanced things in this game and free water walking is not one of them.
We can discuss the Shadowflame weapons' power later.
(I should also point out I'm not asking for a nerf to Sflame stuff. :red: that, they're so fun as it is)

Back
Top Bottom