PC Help me wire a drowning trap?

Syluxx

Terrarian
Hi, I'm new here and I spent the past like 5 hours learning way more about wiring and logic gates then I ever have before. Basically I'm trying to wire a deadman chest to a set/reset flip flop gate with a switch being the other input. When the chest is opened I wanted the way behind them to actuate closed, a one block gap in the ceiling open and begin flooding in water until they drown. Then the switch will close off the pump system flooding the room and reverse theactuation of blocks and actuate a hole in the floor for the water to drain into a pumping system to get it out. But for the LIFE of me it just isnt working. I've gotten it to trigger once then never again for some reason. I'm stumped. Picture for reference of myscrewups. View is in Tedit for quality.

Attachments

• 20210402_073855.jpg
    20210402_073855.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 117
The numerous amount of yellow wire is misleading some of that is YR wire with junction boxes as well

ok, just so I understand what you re trying to do, the player opens the chest which closes the room and floods it with water. then the player can flip the switch to drain the water and open the room again?

if so, why not use grates? one block grate at the top and bottom of the room, then have the water pumped back up incase you wanna reset the trap (with water sensors)

I m having a hard time seeing what s going on in the screenshot, I ll see if I can get a good screenshot of how I would do it

ok, just so I understand what you re trying to do, the player opens the chest which closes the room and floods it with water. then the player can flip the switch to drain the water and open the room again?

if so, why not use grates? one block grate at the top and bottom of the room, then have the water pumped back up incase you wanna reset the trap (with water sensors)

I m having a hard time seeing what s going on in the screenshot, I ll see if I can get a good screenshot of how I would do it
Well I dont want the player that opens the chest to be able to turn it off hence the sr flip flop. The switch is outside the room. The whole build is semi close to the surface and the water reservoir is located lower down.

ooh ok, so the player drowns and then comes back and resets the room with the switch from the outside?

also since you said you can only get it to activate once, do you mean the pumps? in that case you just gotta hook up a timer (half second works well) to the pumps;

currently fiddling around with some wiring for this scenario, I m still learning but this is kinda fun ;)

edit:
Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

ok for some reason the top right blue wire is not connected on the screenshot, but ingame it s connected...

the top grate starts closed (duh) and the bottom one open with my wiring;

I tried adding failsafes, the chest wont trigger anything again until the switch is flipped;
there might be some funny stuff if you flip the lever really fast more than once before the water hits the first sensor, like I said I m still learning but this sorta worked after testing it;
the timer on the pumps is a half second timer;
how many pumps you use shouldnt matter that much, I just used 3 for going fast;

anyway, if you got questions or I goofed up somehow just holla ;)

Last edited:
Well I dont want the player that opens the chest to be able to turn it off hence the sr flip flop. The switch is outside the room. The whole build is semi close to the surface and the water reservoir is located lower down

ooh ok, so the player drowns and then comes back and resets the room with the switch from the outside?

also since you said you can only get it to activate once, do you mean the pumps? in that case you just gotta hook up a timer (half second works well) to the pumps;

currently fiddling around with some wiring for this scenario, I m still learning but this is kinda fun ;)
Essentially yeah. I after I got it to work the one time I hooked up timers to repeat the pumping but then the timers went and repeated the entire system and actuated all the blocks. When I separatedthe wires out the system broke and nothing works now haha that's when I came here

Essentially yeah. I after I got it to work the one time I hooked up timers to repeat the pumping but then the timers went and repeated the entire system and actuated all the blocks. When I separatedthe wires out the system broke and nothing works now haha that's when I came here
But it's on a server for me and my friends, so I lure my buddy down he drowns and then i reset it. I'll ofcourse make him leave his tools before entering though lol

ah ok, check out my edit, I added screenshots and short explanation. gotta say tho I ve mostly been wiring on solo but it should work in multiplayer

edit:
View attachment 315140
View attachment 315141

ok for some reason the top right blue wire is not connected on the screenshot, but ingame it s connected...

the top grate starts closed (duh) and the bottom one open with my wiring;

I tried adding failsafes, the chest wont trigger anything again until the switch is flipped;
there might be some funny stuff if you flip the lever really fast more than once before the water hits the first sensor, like I said I m still learning but this sorta worked after testing it;
the timer on the pumps is a half second timer;
how many pumps you use shouldnt matter that much, I just used 3 for going fast;

anyway, if you got questions or I goofed up somehow just holla ;)
Alright awesome I'll put it all in game and see how it goes thanks so much!

Hey sorry for poorimage quality. I added some poor annotations to maybe help make sense of the thing. The dead chest isnt triggering the mechanism but the switch on the outside does, but then it wont reverse it so it's just stuck flooded. Idk what Imessed up haha I had to reorient some things due to terrain restrictions and trying to keep it hidden so it's probably wire placement that's breaking it. If you want a world download to play with what I have set up you can have it.

Attachments

• 20210402_222410.jpg
    20210402_222410.jpg
    10.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 20210402_222109.jpg
    20210402_222109.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 76
mornin, so first thing I noticed, are there outlet pumps up top? can t really tell on the screengrab

other than that I can t see a problem from here but with my builds I gotta play around with it myself if somethings not working, so just giving me the world might work better buuuut I could also simplify the whole thing since my first build kinda assumed the reset switch was in the room and was not meant to be flipped until the room had flooded.

but if you re resetting the whole thing from the outside then you re basically judge of when to hit the switch and this thing could be made easier, lemme try something.

p.s.: have you tried using the camera feature for screenshots? for me it always helps seeing the whole circuit on screen and seeing where different wires blend helps too.
thanks for the annotations tho ;)

edit:
wires.jpg

nowires.jpg

so the new and simplified version, the dead mans chest will still turn itself off, flood the room and then you hit the switch once to pump the water back up and reset the chest.

like I said, my first build kinda assumed the reset switch was in the room and therefor I kinda went a little complicated ;)

hope this works for ya!

Last edited:
mornin, so first thing I noticed, are there outlet pumps up top? can t really tell on the screengrab

other than that I can t see a problem from here but with my builds I gotta play around with it myself if somethings not working, so just giving me the world might work better buuuut I could also simplify the whole thing since my first build kinda assumed the reset switch was in the room and was not meant to be flipped until the room had flooded.

but if you re resetting the whole thing from the outside then you re basically judge of when to hit the switch and this thing could be made easier, lemme try something.

p.s.: have you tried using the camera feature for screenshots? for me it always helps seeing the whole circuit on screen and seeing where different wires blend helps too.
thanks for the annotations tho ;)

edit:
View attachment 315177
View attachment 315178

so the new and simplified version, the dead mans chest will still turn itself off, flood the room and then you hit the switch once to pump the water back up and reset the chest.

like I said, my first build kinda assumed the reset switch was in the room and therefor I kinda went a little complicated ;)

hope this works for ya!
I'll be sure to check it out asap! Yeah the switch is located around the same place your lever is at, so I'll turn it off after they drown from outside the room, I don't wanna die too haha. I'll give it a shot

Back
Top Bottom