PC help with finding a lag friendly engine

azurephantom100

Terrarian
if there a post about this can you link other wise i need a engine that can create 450 ticks per minute. i used a ghost dummy engine with two flip flop logic gates (pic shown) to cut the base engine output down to the right speed, but i will be using this in a cascade lighting effect with a large number of gemspark block/walls for a build. so even just one engine for the whole thing would be laggy or at least i think it would be as my pc would lag if dummy engine was left on for to long. so i was hoping to get engine that i can use for this that is lag friendly and still gets 450 ticks p/m

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    600.5 KB · Views: 99
if there a post about this can you link other wise i need a engine that can create 450 ticks per minute. i used a ghost dummy engine with two flip flop logic gates (pic shown) to cut the base engine output down to the right speed, but i will be using this in a cascade lighting effect with a large number of gemspark block/walls for a build. so even just one engine for the whole thing would be laggy or at least i think it would be as my pc would lag if dummy engine was left on for to long. so i was hoping to get engine that i can use for this that is lag friendly and still gets 450 ticks p/m
I've checked out some older engine designs (https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...oiktronic-binary-skeleton-counter-video.6464/), but none of them are close enough to the 7.5 activations per second that you need.
You could eliminate the second gate from from your dividers, since they are not necessary.
mwLWC0D.png

I'm not sure how much that would help though. My best idea is to just do the delay with hoiks. Make a hoik loop out of 8 steps, and you get 1 activation per 8 frames.
dmakl37.png
HX0nQ3q.png

The only device left that could still make some lag is the teleporter used to loop the dummy back. It only triggers once every 8 frames though, so I don't thinks it's a big deal. You could maybe get rig of it by building a closed hoik "circle" from exactly 8 teeth.

ok thanks there one more thing i forgot the logic gate set up to do the cascade effect where one turns activates the next while only sending out one signal for each gate rather then two signals when it turns on and again when turn off the one i had did it without smoke too but lost my world with it due to computer dying and i dont remember how it was made

Actually the post DRKV linked (https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...oiktronic-binary-skeleton-counter-video.6464/) includes multiple lag free simple engines that operate at the 6-8 act/s range. The crab engine is 5-6 act per sec and there a few rainstick engines you can adjust to hit 6, 7, or 8 per sec as needed. `:happy:
well this is for a decoration in a dungeon and the mob ones are inconsistent with the number of ticks. so the effect im going for will be choppy and i plan on using all the NPCs on the map so i cant just take one out for it. i need a smooth cascade the only thing that seems to work is a ghost dummy with some logic gates to cut the ticks a few times but that makes lag i want to get the same effect without the lag from the teleporter

Last edited:
Well then you have another alternative. You could have a dummy hoik down a track with 7 pressure plates spaced out by a block or two. When the dummy reaches the end of the track he will just teleport back to the start without repeating or looping. Each pressure plate should be hooked up to a 1 second timer.

The end result is 7 one second timers staggered in such a way that combined they generate 7 act/s. You can connect all 7 timers to a single logic gate to combine the signals into one wire color. There should be no lag since your just running 1 second timers. The dummy's only job is to start the timers at a staggered, but controlled interval.

You can turn the whole thing off by toggling the timers. Let me know if that isn't clear and you need some build examples. And please note, I am not sure on the correct pressure plate spacing, you will have to experiment.

Well then you have another alternative. You could have a dummy hoik down a track with 7 pressure plates spaced out by a block or two. When the dummy reaches the end of the track he will just teleport back to the start without repeating or looping. Each pressure plate should be hooked up to a 1 second timer.

The end result is 7 one second timers staggered in such a way that combined they generate 7 act/s. You can connect all 7 timers to a single logic gate to combine the signals into one wire color. There should be no lag since your just running 1 second timers. The dummy's only job is to start the timers at a staggered, but controlled interval.

You can turn the whole thing off by toggling the timers. Let me know if that isn't clear and you need some build examples. And please note, I am not sure on the correct pressure plate spacing, you will have to experiment.
i would like a picture if you dont mind i do better if i see it and thanks in advance

ok thanks there one more thing i forgot the logic gate set up to do the cascade effect where one turns activates the next while only sending out one signal for each gate rather then two signals when it turns on and again when turn off the one i had did it without smoke too but lost my world with it due to computer dying and i dont remember how it was made
I don't really understand what you mean by this. Are you talking about timer cascades?
Actually the post DRKV linked (https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...oiktronic-binary-skeleton-counter-video.6464/) includes multiple lag free simple engines that operate at the 6-8 act/s range. The crab engine is 5-6 act per sec and there a few rainstick engines you can adjust to hit 6, 7, or 8 per sec as needed. `:happy:
Yeah, I just assumed he wanted exactly 7.5, but If it's only for decor, a rainstick would probably work fine.

Well, that way you cant really get a completely smooth 7.5 because you'd need 7.5 individual 1 sec timers... You can't really do 7 either, because you'd need a spacing of about 8.6 blocks (60/7). You could do 6 timers with a spacing of 10 for 6 activations/s. At that point though it's just a really big rainstick.

I made dart trap engine 2 years ago that can create 18-22 ticks per second, so the engine can create up to 1300 ticks per second.

Attachments

• dart trap Engine.wld
    50.2 KB · Views: 100
im using logic gates to get the cascade i just needed an engine to get them to send the signal out thing is they are just as quick as the engine it self so skips are bound to happen.

i dont have a screen shot right now but the its one lamp faulty logic gate hooked up to turn off itself while turning the next one on like this [1][0][0][0] [0][1][0][0] ect. it gives a single signal when it does that (or just two so quick it doesnt show) ether way it works, really might be doing things in a weird way idk i'm a bit of noob with wiring stuff took me the better part of a day to remember the wring for it. as for size the build is huge so as long as the engine ticks are consistent rate but not to slow its should be fine. really though im the only person i seen that is using a logic gate for decoration of a moving lighting effect this is what im going for btw

Attachments

• ocotpus effect.gif
    ocotpus effect.gif
    990.2 KB · Views: 87
im using logic gates to get the cascade i just needed an engine to get them to send the signal out thing is they are just as quick as the engine it self so skips are bound to happen.

i dont have a screen shot right now but the its one lamp faulty logic gate hooked up to turn off itself while turning the next one on like this [1][0][0][0] [0][1][0][0] ect. it gives a single signal when it does that (or just two so quick it doesnt show) ether way it works, really might be doing things in a weird way idk i'm a bit of noob with wiring stuff took me the better part of a day to remember the wring for it. as for size the build is huge so as long as the engine ticks are consistent rate but not to slow its should be fine. really though im the only person i seen that is using a logic gate for decoration of a moving lighting effect this is what im going for btw
How about something like this then?
HShOj59.png

If you are willing to run two separate wires to every single torch, then you don't even need any logic gates at all.

Is that my old version of the rate-of-fire counter? Did I upload that on here somewhere, because I really don't remember doing that. `:confused: Bullets can hit 2 teal plates at the same time causing 2 outputs. That is why the newer version of my rate-of-fire counter just has 1.

Do teleporters in a dummy ghost engine really cause that much lag? I don't really have any lag problems since I custom built a new PC.
But if none of those other engines work you could try a spear trap engine. I always prefer those over a dart trap engine because spear traps have a shorter cooldown. Not sure how much spacing/spear traps you would need to get the number you want, but I think spear traps move at the same speed as a dart does, (45 blocks per sec).

thanks to the designs of Temari and DRKV i found something that gave me the effect i wanted and to Sovereign you posted it in another post i made a year or so ago it was for the same thing im doing now the pc i had it on died so i had to start over

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    633.5 KB · Views: 145
Do teleporters in a dummy ghost engine really cause that much lag? I don't really have any lag problems since I custom built a new PC.
I have a pretty decent PC too, so I am not really sure either. Teleporters do make dust particles, which can cause issues, but only when they are on-screen.
Honestly, logic gates shouldn't be a problem either. The only time I noticed any issues was when I made
eQZYOlD.png

I messed up some calculations and ended up with about 1 000 000 logic gate activations per frame... I should fix this thing up at some point.

I have a pretty decent PC too, so I am not really sure either. Teleporters do make dust particles, which can cause issues, but only when they are on-screen.
Honestly, logic gates shouldn't be a problem either. The only time I noticed any issues was when I made
eQZYOlD.png

I messed up some calculations and ended up with about 1 000 000 logic gate activations per frame... I should fix this thing up at some point.
what was that thing meant to do?

Yup, that is my old rate-of-fire/tick counter. It even has the meteorite lamp post I put at the spawn. `:happy: It's nice to see that thing is being useful for someone.
@DRKV : Wow that is a lot of wire you got there. Really hard to see what it could be from the screen shot. Would like to see it when you fix it...

When I have some more time later on I really need to finish the project I'm working on. I have the game mechanics of it worked out, I just need to build the 1-4 player entry system thingy. I'm not sure what it would be called. It basically just adds the players into the system so when that player loses the announcement boxes will display a message for it and a message for which player is the winner when the game is over. I also plan to make it announce when a player enters/leaves and when each player is ready to start the game.

Yup, that is my old rate-of-fire/tick counter. It even has the meteorite lamp post I put at the spawn. `:happy: It's nice to see that thing is being useful for someone.
@DRKV : Wow that is a lot of wire you got there. Really hard to see what it could be from the screen shot. Would like to see it when you fix it...

When I have some more time later on I really need to finish the project I'm working on. I have the game mechanics of it worked out, I just need to build the 1-4 player entry system thingy. I'm not sure what it would be called. It basically just adds the players into the system so when that player loses the announcement boxes will display a message for it and a message for which player is the winner when the game is over. I also plan to make it announce when a player enters/leaves and when each player is ready to start the game.
you can use a teleporter hub like system you can have players have a blank announcement sign that will trigger right after the one that will say "and the winner is.."

Well, the idea is to first have it say "player # has joined the game" when a player enters one of the rooms. Then after the player puts on their gear found in the room and stands on the teleporter there will be an announcement saying "player # is ready". If they step off it will say "Player # is not ready". Once all players detected in the rooms are standing on the teleporters it will start the count down to start the game. If a player steps off the teleporter it will stop the count down and give the not ready message for that player. After the game starts it will give a game over message for the player when they respawn back in their room. After all but 1 player is left it will give a message saying "player # is the winner!" That's the basic idea for the messages and their conditions. And the idea is also to make the system work with any number of players 1-4, so you could play with just 2 players and it will start if both players are on the teleporters and no other players are in the rooms. Also if a player enters a room when the count down has started it will stop the count down and give the "player # has joined the game" message and start again once they step on the teleporter. I always try to idiot proof my mini-games and try to make them require as little input from the players as possible. XD Also after a player wins the system will reset and be ready for the next game automatically. But once I work out a good system to do all that then my new mini-game will be ready for testing. Still not sure what set of gear I will give the players, but that part is kind of what will need testing to see if people think it's way to hard, easy, etc...

Back
Top Bottom