Sprites Hmm, today I will make an ocean revamp.

I love the Ocean. It has cool music, you need to farm sharks for the megashark, it has water chests, it has cool music... Yeah, there isn't much to it, even after the ocean caves were added in 1.4. This suggestion attempts to change that somewhat.

GENERATION:
Every world should have one ocean cave, and the scope of that cave should be expanded to encompass everything up until the endgame. In its current state this suggestion only contains content up until the pre-EOC stage, but more will follow in time. Hopefully.
A very rough roadmap of the Ocean's progression:
Pre-EOC (Where this suggestion is right now)
- Water chest and sunken house loot
- Tasty Jelly Slimes
- Boss: The Siren
Post-Skeletron
- Cavern levels begin spawning new monsters
Hardmode
- New enemies on all levels
- New boss
Post-Fishron and Golem
- Final chamber and boss accessible

Here is a cool mock up of worldgen.
ocean1.png

The ocean that has the cave would extend all the way down to just above the Underworld. Everything except the room labeled "epic room" would be accessible off the bat, and would be dotted at a relatively high frequency with sunken houses.
house1.PNG

Did you know that there aren't any coralstone walls furniture or doors? That needs to change soon.
Sunken houses contain some cool furniture and a water chest, which can contain regular water chest loot above ground and cool new loot in the underground.

Loot:
Water_Chest.png
Water Chest:

Coral Staff
imageedit_34_5624863450.png
imageedit_39_2750361758.png

Singlehandedly repopulate the world's reefs!
Summon. An early game sentry weapon. Shoots some coral nematocysts that pull enemies toward the summon and inflict poison.
You will notice that many of the sprites are going to be more garish and less polished in this suggestion than in others. I don't think coral lends itself to a very good color palette for serious-looking sprites, so a lot of them are going to look like plastic toys.

Reef Reeler
imageedit_43_9976782014.png

Born 2 Fish, Forced 2 Swim
Fishing rod. It's got pretty low fishing power, but is able to fish while the player is submerged. The lure will glow when something is caught.
Many of these thing are coral-themed, but I haven't tried to introduce an actual coral reef into worldgen. A future addition? Maybe.

Aeration Stone
imageedit_45_9536209008.png

Feels like you're in some sort of aquarium
Furniture. Replenishes oxygen in a 25 block radius.
This is one of the more wip sprites here.

Forest_Pots.png
Pots:

Canned Air
imageedit_47_3293331518.png

Worth its weight in air
Potion. Fully replenishes oxygen. Can be found in small stacks in the water chests as well.

Monsters
A truly revolutionary addition to the ocean:

Slime Jellyfish
imageedit_51_9736666402.png

They appear everywhere in the Underground Ocean, and are actually fairly easy compared to jellyfish. They don't electrify, they don't dash, they just slowly pulse towards the player. Oh, but they don't emit any light.
They also have bonus drops. Besides regular items, they have a chance to contain some Canned Air. Additionally, they have a 1/3 chance to contain:

Sea Glass
imageedit_53_3854010450.png

If you touch your eye to its surface you can literally see the sea
Crafting material. For some cool ocean stuff.

Here's what you can make:

Tidal Trinket
imageedit_57_2969547596.png

It's just glass, but it contains some power
Crafted with
imageedit_53_3854010450.png
Sea Glass
Coral.png
Coral, and
Chain.png
Chain.
Accessory. Doubles breath capacity, but is incapable of being tinkered with anything else. Good for early game exploration.

Sea Star
imageedit_59_7580291708.png

Wish upon a sea star
Crafted with
1600659402581.png
Sea Glass,
Coral.png
Coral,
Starfish.png
Starfish, and
Gold_Bar.png
Gold Bar.
Accessory. +1 Defense. Grants an additional +2 defense and knockback immunity in water, and gives the ability to do a short range underwater dash.
The fact that this takes so much "inspiration" from Calamity actually bothers me to no end. If you look at my one previous suggestion it too takes so much from Calamity's style that it almost feels like it's not my own. Hopefully this will improve in the future.

Victide Littoral Armor
imageedit_61_5771948484.png

Crafted with
1600660022463.png
Sea Glass,
1600660045984.png
Coral,
Starfish.png
Starfish
, and
Seashell.png
Seashell
Armor. Not my favorite sprite but it works. +9 defense, a nice classless +10% to all damage, and a small double jump that is vastly improved when submerged. Multiplies maximum breath capacity by 3.

Iridescent Gel
imageedit_63_4329170165.png

Crafted with
1600660521737.png
Sea Glass and
Gel.png
Gel.
Reskinned Gel. Also a boss summoning item...

for the magnificent...

Slimy Siren
imageedit_66_9255097891.png

Pretty firmly a pre-EOC boss, she can only be summoned in the underground ocean. All light sources are passively reduced in effectiveness while she is within range.
Phase 1:
Slowly chases the player, tossing slime jellies and occasionally teleporting when in nearly complete darkness.

Phase 2:
imageedit_69_9032853100.png

Upon reaching half health the Siren reveals its true nature, and begins sinking into the ground, only occasionally surfacing to collide with the player and spawn clusters of slimes. Upon reaching 10% health she will attempt to align horizontally with the player and dash, spawning various slime jellies.

Drops

The Foghorn
imageedit_71_7611781514.png

You're a real gamer now
Accessory. Enemy spawn rate is slightly raised.

Enchanted Trident
imageedit_73_2015937693.png

More like the enchanted 9dent
Melee Slow swinging spear that shoots three slow and short ranged projectiles that don't pierce.

Defiled Slime Staff
imageedit_77_6098120052.png

Somehow commoner than the regular Slime Staff
Magic. Lobs slime projectiles that have limited homing capabilities and explode into a few slime bolts upon impact.

Hydrodynamic Coating
imageedit_81_2537496938.png

The atmosphere stings. It strips, tears until there is nothing but a lump of gristle and sinew left, and even that will in time disappear. Would the ocean do that to you?
Accessory. Removes water physics, allowing the player to move unimpeded in any fluid. Additionally increases movement speed and jump height by 25% while in contact with water.

Brood Queen's Tentacle
imageedit_83_5920597282.png
imageedit_79_8541870512.png

Now why would you keep this?
Light pet. Someday this brood sac will give birth to a race of entities that shall supplant humanity as Terraria's dominant species. Until then it will provide light and indicate the position of nearby enemies and traps.

That's it for now. More in a few days.

Attachments

• siren2.PNG
    siren2.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 65
  • tenta1.PNG
    tenta1.PNG
    1 KB · Views: 71
While the ocean clearly needs more attention and these aren't bad I don't really get why this is pre EOC. Personally unless you are rushing on the first day to reach the edge of the world or avoiding armor and life crystals I don't even know how you would reach the ocean without killing the EOC... and the EOC isn't a hard boss even on Expert or Master all you need is an appropriate weapon and armor and platforms for mobility. Besides there already is a boss at this point in progression king slime. Remember that since the ocean needs water based gear to readily explore it will be a serious difficulty to obtain this loot especially since the existing ocean monsters namely the shark and pink jellyfish are fairly formidable at this point in the game.

While the ocean clearly needs more attention and these aren't bad I don't really get why this is pre EOC. Personally unless you are rushing on the first day to reach the edge of the world or avoiding armor and life crystals I don't even know how you would reach the ocean without killing the EOC... and the EOC isn't a hard boss even on Expert or Master all you need is an appropriate weapon and armor and platforms for mobility. Besides there already is a boss at this point in progression king slime. Remember that since the ocean needs water based gear to readily explore it will be a serious difficulty to obtain this loot especially since the existing ocean monsters namely the shark and pink jellyfish are fairly formidable at this point in the game.
IMO rushing the ocean is pretty easy, and the frequency of hard enemy spawns would be diluted by the slime jellies. The boss is of course optional, and could be fought after EOC, but its HP should be low enough that a good bow and a gills potion should be alright. The craftables would also help, though gills potions would really be the go to here.
Admittedly I didn't balance anything, because I don't really have a good eye for balancing.
Moving the fight to post EOC or even to Queen Bee tier could be an option, though the drops would probably need a corresponding buff.

Back
Top Bottom