HOIK! [Guide] - Rapid Player/NPC/Etc Transport Using Only Sloped Tiles.

Hey everyone!

I've noticed that sometimes size 1 items can be moved with hoiks continuously.
But i cant find what does it depends on. Have someone seen it and knows how to force it behave like that all the time? I attach a video to demonstrate it:

BTW, since this is my first message on Terraria forums so I decided to share what I'm trying to construct now:

This should be a "one click hoictronic herbs farm" - I will not need to plant anything, herbs grow naturally on large farms.

adf2089d9ef44fffaf0f5dab6592d748.png

9ab74e9cb55a42e1b546eb8d40b94ff8.png

Its not yet ready, I want to add some things and than I'll maybe make a detailed post on it.

- Add lava watering with pumps before collecting Fireblossom
- My 30 act/s sceleton engine works only while night (daytime skeleton stuks in blocks), I need think some other variant
- Make switches for mushrooms (they are separated and burned now)
- Learn size 1 items horizontal transportation
- Simplify and optimize.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I've noticed that sometimes size 1 items can be moved with hoiks continuously.
But i cant find what does it depends on. Have someone seen it and knows how to force it behave like that all the time? I attach a video to demonstrate it:

Yes, this is a known issue, and to date we haven't been able to figure out what precisely impacts whether size 1 items can be continuously hoiked. However, there are some consistent observations made thus far:

1) There tends to be fewer issues on large worlds
2) The continuous hoiking is more likely the more you go towards the center of the map and the more you elevate the hoik above 0 altitude

BTW, since this is my first message on Terraria forums so I decided to share what I'm trying to construct now:

This should be a "one click hoictronic herbs farm" - I will not need to plant anything, herbs grow naturally on large farms.

A promising start! It will be very interesting to see it in action when it's fully finished!

Hey everyone!
- My 30 act/s sceleton engine works only while night (daytime skeleton stuks in blocks), I need think some other variant

If you're not too particular where you want the farm to be in your world, then I'd suggest testing the hoiking of size 1 items at various positions in the world (stick to the center and above 0 altitude if possible). If you find a spot where continuous hoiking of size 1 items is possible (and it seems it will always be possible somewhere in the map), then you won't have to worry about the skeleton engine.

ZeroGravitas, can you do a video about a hoik loop fighting the Dungeon Guardian with a flairon?
It has worked for me before

About a year ago, I made a hoik-like structure that trapped pixies and gastropods.
Terraria 2014-12-24 12-58-57-92.png

The idea is that pixies fly into the hoik, get trapped, and the lava burned them, allowing you to collect loot.
I don't know if it is possible to transport pixies to different areas, though.

2014-10-31_00004.jpg

My small Tutorial: Hoiks

Hoiks are an amazing thing found by ZeroGravitas, but sometimes it may be hard to understand HOW to make it. The purpose is known, but how to make it can be a challenge.

The red and blue arrows represent which direction the Hoiks that are made go.

The red arrow points right, while the blue points left. Follow the sloped blocks below them to understand which way is left and right for Hoiks.

In the second level with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4, this area shows the steps to make a Hoik:

Step 1: Use a platform and a block of any kind, and place them next to each other on the ground.

Step 2: Slope the platform so its like stairs going right and up.

Step 3: Slope the block next to the just sloped platform to point up and left. By doing it this way, the slope will push you in the direction you want. In this case, it is Right.

Step 4: Slope ALL blocks after the first two, repeat with either a 1 block space between each sloped block, or all positioned next to one another. Both work, but having a space in between works just as good, and saves on block usage. Stop placing and sloping blocks where you wish to stop at.

MAKE SURE TO TEST IT! For left and right Hoiks, press the DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT keys TOGETHER to move into the Hoik and use it. If going LEFT, hold DOWN and LEFT keys, to use the left transit Hoik.

Vise versa also works. After you start using the Hoik and begin rapid transit, you do not need to press/hold any keys on your keyboard/mouse. The Hoik will move you FOR you

Finally in the third and fourth row are more Hoiks and a Distance counter. The Distance counter is set to 1-50 blocks in distance to show the scale of these example Hoiks.

Thank you very much, and have a wonderful day. :)

(Please reply if you wish for an UP and DOWN Hoik tutorial as well.)

I would DEFINITELY like a guide for up & down please, I've been looking for one and can't find it anywhere.

I would DEFINITELY like a guide for up & down please, I've been looking for one and can't find it anywhere.

That's this guide, page 1... problem is on console things are still a little bit glitchy about the hoiks so some of the spacing is different. Usually a second layer of blocks above the teleporter row in the ceiling works (wall layer the hoik is pointed at and one space over from for up and down).

Sussed it, nobody said you have to have a switch on the blocks, the videos look like everyone just steps on it and off they go.

For engineers, it really is a feature. For people who have difficulty building it, it's an issue. If it didn't serve a purpose and was just randomly throwing people into ceilings or walls I would completely say it's a bug or issue, but it is controllable.... and extreamlly useful when you get the timing of it down. Setup a pump system to drain the ocean sometime without using a hoik'd activation system, then drain the other ocean using it. Bet you even with the couple minutes to build the hoik setup it still takes less than half the time to drain that second ocean.

Is there a way of build a hoik system on the floor of an event farm (like Diceman's) that would hoik item drop to you, but not mobs? Even if it was just the hearts, that way everything else wouldn't vanish quite so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom