HOIK! [Guide] - Rapid Player/NPC/Etc Transport Using Only Sloped Tiles.

I'd just like to say, thanks for the guide! Without it, this absolute mess of a hoik based house i've been working on would be taking a lot longer to make! It has already taken huge amounts of trial and error getting things to work the way I want them to, so I can't imagine how long it must have taken to figure some of the showcased mechanisms out.

Hi people, just wanted to show my hoik based ½sec timer, it works like a charm. The skeleton goes round and round, hitting a pressure plate every ½sec, the skeletons stomach activates the plate.

While working on my hell-elevator I found 4 underground houses, right next to eachother(lucky) and I looted a fishstatue,batstatue and a skeleton-statue. That just demanded to be put to some good use.

Now my current run is a private little speedrun kinda thing, which is kinda interresting, cause it forces me to rethink everything, and prevents me from mindless grinding stuff, I dont really need. This is the 15th night (yes, I keep track of the terraria-days)
While I was inclined to just use 1sec timers on the statues, it did bother me that, I have read that statues can activate each ½sec.

Last time I played Terraria, I did try ZeroGravitas simple and fast timer, where 2 opposite "foot" hoiks can spam a timer-pulse from a pressureplate placed in between the hoiks. But that would limit the amount of wires that could be used, and also I dont know what happends if a statue gets a pulse at 0sec,then another at 29/60sec and another at ½sec. Will the 29/60 signal block the 30/60 signal, can statues be "overstimulated"? Guess I could test that now with the litle hoik machine I made.

Anyway, I had recently rewatched ZeroGravitas wonderful video, where the skeleton says "cya losers" to the dart and cart, lol. So I knew 1 hoik=1/60 sec.
So the idear to make a 30 hoik cycle was straight forward. I made a sketch on a paper, and then I build it. Took me about 3 Terraria hours to make. To my little speedrun, time is precious, and any machines must be simple.

About stopping the machine, I dont have lava yet, and didnt really care if some goldfishes are flopping around. But I found that the skeleton will despawn as soon as its out of sight, so that works out perfectly.

Edit: Im on an old gameversion, cause I never finished this version, but the hoik stuff remains the same.

30tooth_½sec_cycle.PNG

Last time I played Terraria, I did try ZeroGravitas simple and fast timer, where 2 opposite "foot" hoiks can spam a timer-pulse from a pressureplate placed in between the hoiks. But that would limit the amount of wires that could be used, and also I dont know what happends if a statue gets a pulse at 0sec,then another at 29/60sec and another at ½sec. Will the 29/60 signal block the 30/60 signal, can statues be "overstimulated"? Guess I could test that now with the litle hoik machine I made.

No, statues cannot be overstimulated. When a statue is in cooldown, the cooldown cannot be reset with a subsequent activation. The activation machine that activates pressure plates every 1/60th of a second is therefore effective, because it guarantees an activation within a game tick of the cooldown expiring. You can achieve the same effect with your hoik loop, but it is simpler and more compact to just use the activation machine. Still, your efforts to build the loop were certainly worthwhile, because this is how one gains a better understanding of how hoik systems work.

Since you're on an older version, I assume you know that you can activate multiple activation points on your statues, since each has its own 0.5 second cooldown (this no longer works in 1.3). If you kill the mobs from the statues within 0.5 seconds, then you can activate each of the statues three times every 0.5 seconds for maximum efficiency.

Since you're on an older version, I assume you know that you can activate multiple activation points on your statues

Oh yes, I get 6 fish everytime I swing the net, pretty sweet.
But to stay with the framework of version 1.3, I would say my little engine, has precision going for it. Its pretty neat to be able to precisely control the frequency.
ZeroGravitas showed us, that hoiks strenght are not only speedy transportation, but also precision, and the ability to work with the smallest time period: 1/60 of a sec. Sorry for saying stuff, that will be obvious for guys from TMEC, I just wants to hail ZeroGravitas for doing such groundbreaking work. And Im happy he was able to make me understand it.

Anyway, I prepared a few screenshots from my current game-run, that I would like to share. I have asked myself the question "is hoiking effecient in speedruning" I believe it is. Im no expertplayer, and this is my first time trying to speedrun, which isnt even all that strict or efficient, but atleast it keeps my from being paralyzed on mining silver, lol. Im not saying people should play like this at all, feel free to make all the hoik-rails you want, I know I sure did, its great fun. It all depends on what type of game one have in mind to play.

So the obvious use of hoiks is in the dungeon. Gotta hoik through the walls to get to the goodies that the dungeon-mages are kind enough to show.
DungeonHoiking.PNG

Like that lifeCrystal I left behind. I am in no hurry to kill the mages, because I like the free x-rays of the enviroment, they provide. In fact I have deliberatly lured goblinmages down in caves with me.

Another great use of hoiks is to get to shadowOrbs without using bombs, I think we all know that.
Another I can think of, is in and out of water.

When I started using hoiks, it was mostly feet-hoiks, but then I discovered that once inside a solid wall, one can freely switch to head-hoiks, and back again, like this crop from the engine above:
switchHoiks.PNG

The benefit of doing that, is it greatly increases the speed of the hoiking. Head hoiks only takes 2 hammerings when going east, and 3 when moving west. Feet-hoiks take 4 and 5 hammerings (this is all if inside solid walls) Headhoiking east, is definitly faster than pickaxeing stone, in prehardmode. That being said, I do prefer feethoiks to mount with, old habits perhabs.

Horisontal hoik moving, is the easiest to make, but occasionally vertical hoiks comes in handy. like this example from my dungeon.
DungeonUPdownHoiks.PNG

Here, I found an example of me doing an inefficient hoiking, it would have been better to just keep using my hook to move along east. To my defence, atleast it was east-hoiking, and I was upset that I didnt find the meteor-crash yet, so I needed to calm myself down with some hoiking. Guess where I finally found the meteor, all the way back west, in the ocean, like 10 tiles from the very edge of the world(its a large world)
inefficient hoiking.PNG

Finally let me show a nice way, to re-establish a hoik that went wrong, without using platforms:

re-EstablishHoik.PNG

As can be seen, I switch to feethoik, and repair the trail from there

That all I had to say, hope its not to embarrassing.

Last edited:
a nice way, to re-establish a hoik
Very good, yes. I need to make (at the least) a Gif series showing how to (re)mount hoiks you are making, etc. Another way is to grapple in with a hook, e.g. up between the existing teeth of a head height top hoik. :)
"is hoiking effecient in speedruning" I believe it is.
Yes? Certainly one can start building a hoik transport network within a about a minute of a new world, new character, but I'm skeptical that the time sink would pay off within, say, a 4 hour world record run. Perhaps more chance in a longer expert mode run... But minecart tracks are soo easy to lay (with smart-cursor) and relatively resource cheap, that I wouldn't expect them to be beaten. Stealing into the jungle temple early might be a ploy, but the dungeon? Is that a helpful shortcut, give that you have to kill Skeletron first anyway?... I'd definitely be happy to hear more of anyone's thoughts on technical speed-running shortcuts and tricks on this T-MEC thread: "Engineering a (weekend long) 'speedrun'..."

So my friends and I have been playing through the game entirely upside-down, which renders most conventional means of transportation unusable.

So, naturally, we decided to hoik! Hoiks are a little different when you're upside-down.
Slopes have to be set a little differently than you would normally, but at least you don't need the mechanic.

So from the skewed perspective we have, the direction of the slopes not only controls if we can even get on the hoik, they also control how far the mounter goes at first.

There are also quite a few other fun things that can occur when you are upside-down. For example, when you align slopes so all are pointing to the bottom-right and on the ceiling, you can walk as though you were on the ground.

This does not work the other way around, however.

With these slopes, either aligned as they are OR towards the left, can also make Spectre Boots and Cloud-in-a-Bottles go infinite.

As you can see, hoiking upside-down is a bit different, but mostly the same. Much like with normal hoiks, we weren't able to find a hoik that takes us down, however it isn't really imperative. It would be cool to find a way to hoik around in a circle whilst simultaneously confusing your right-side-up friends.

Special thanks to my friend, Meakyo, for capturing the footage.

Hey.

I think I've seen it somewhere before but I can't find it now - hoik designed for mounts.
Is it possible to use hoik while on mount?

I'm thinking about using hoik in my unicorn racing map, so I need to know how to build hoik suitable for unicorn mounts.
Thanks! :)

Well if it is possible then you must use either a floating horizontal hoik, or a hoik that is as tall as your character while on the mount, both need a solid roof over them.

This is a ridiculous glitch that should be patched...
Well the development team looked at it ages ago and it not only would be insanity to patch (due to being a glitch with how the game handles solid tiles) but the team decided to leave it be and recognizes it as a valid mechanism. It takes time to set up and it's quite creative with some designs.

Quite new to hoik's. Though I think I have this understood, but something tells me otherwise.

When a hoik converts horizontally, is it strictly horizontal for one hoik and pushes the individual up the remaining amount, or only pushes the individual only in that direction ignoring a ceiling that's missing?

W = Wall
H = Hoik
E = Empty

WWWWWE
HEHEHE

Would the target at the end(going right) go right one and up one, or just get spat out going right just by 2 blocks?

Learning the basics of hoik's is pretty much a massive intention before console gets the massive 1.3 update next year(assuming the update goes by as smooth as intended).

can I join, but just get not fight and get rescourses? e.g I can glitch through the temple door , giving me acsess to he extreme traps, just give me 1-4 life crystals and a pressure pad, and a grapple hook would be nice!
[doublepost=1474965161,1474964759][/doublepost]I would love to join, and I'm ok joining when you've already started!

can I join, but just get not fight and get rescourses? e.g I can glitch through the temple door , giving me acsess to he extreme traps, just give me 1-4 life crystals and a pressure pad, and a grapple hook would be nice!
[doublepost=1474965161,1474964759][/doublepost]I would love to join, and I'm ok joining when you've already started!

Can't you just make a world and do this yourself? All it requires is a hammer, blocks, and a spot to glitch to. Not EVERYONE will have a world just so someone can pickup temple traps. Pressure 'Plates' and heart crystals can be found almost anywhere underground, grapple hooks can be made from gemstones easily, and I don't know how you'll make it through a temple without proper gear and health when getting traps. You will need late pre-hardmode/early post-hardmode gear just to survive in the temple when getting the traps.

im confident, may even use the traps on the lizhards before taking them, just give me a chance, please! ill do anything! I just want to help!!!

P.S I have a plan for defeating planteara,
H = hoik, P = a player/team member T = trap S = signal W = wall
P S
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW W
H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H W
T T
T T
T T
T T
e.t.c for 20 - 50 blocks more

Two things:

Did anyone share the mounting method of using the partial tile upward bump from mounting a minecart to get you on a 3 hoik? Sorta nice to have pushkey hoiking, and useful for making vertical hoiks you can walk through with no platform even (since the bump makes the mount one taller even), and of course 3 hooks are nicely fast in many ways (yay less hammering, if nothing else). You can even have a rail line that ends as your hoik mount ,which I played with before settling on toggle switched for my main stop, and platforms for less to carry when I am out and about. Of course, I need actuators anyway if I want to make things easily passable without messing with my spacing very carefully. See my screen with the two rails for mounting the bottom of the biway I'm standing on.

I also accidentally figured out an optional pause or dismount when using a horizontal 3 mount hoik. My top line going left in both of this is mounted via a platform mount to the right. When I missed my spacing here (the one with green gemblocks), it seems to have made a situation where I stop, and then if I hold left and down I continue, or I can pop back up and out. I haven't played much with since you can always just unmount etc. But it means you don't have to put in an extra platform remount, which sometimes scews with my opposite direction line, if I'm doing any of the shared spare techniques like using the other as a floor or ceiling for one of them.

Attachments

• 20161231151948_1.jpg
    20161231151948_1.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 325
Oh, I see. Created a jam by changing lengths, some jams can be useful for pauses. (tho a small gap for being able to pass through also probably more useful)

I do not know wether it got tested yet or not, but in a hoik loop when going down again (back of the Char facing the wall) you accelerate in speed. Usually you go 0 mph but there you actually start to gain speed. I wonder if that could be used to accelerate even more with asphalt.

Can't currently test it myself because I am working on a Duke Fishron grinder. A safe one. My first good draft takes an hour to chip away 1 third of health. That is ... underwhelming ^^

Back
Top Bottom