HOIK! [Guide] - Rapid Player/NPC/Etc Transport Using Only Sloped Tiles.

Here is the up and down Hoik tutorial. Good luck!

You were wondering in the video whether the down hoik can be mirrored. Here's an example of a continuous loop that I used in a previous farm based on ZeroGravitas' discovery of how to transition from the horizontal hoik to a downward hoik:

rJMPKao.jpg

The down hoik is on the far right.

You were wondering in the video whether the down hoik can be mirrored. Here's an example of a continuous loop that I used in a previous farm based on ZeroGravitas' discovery of how to transition from the horizontal hoik to a downward hoik:

rJMPKao.jpg

The down hoik is on the far right.
Thank you for the assistance with this. I was unsure if it could be mirrored at all. I attempted to do so, but failed and resulted it doing it the original way, with success.

Thanks!

i keep getting stuck in the down hoik even though it looks exactly like yours but mirrored
Down hoiks are fiddly to mount: you need to stay very close up to the wall, unlike the up. Pred shows in his video that you have to walk in very slowly to avoid moving out of line. This is if you mount from the same side as the wall. Mounting from the opposide side, crossing the top of the open shaft, you have to walk in with more speed, to ensure you push up against the wall and get in the right position.

The reliable way to mount a down is using an actuated first tooth, as in Diagram 2, Figure 14. (If the diagrams are unclear, you could download my "Hoik Demo World" to explore them first hand.) The tile below the tooth then needs actuating to background simultaneously to let you hoik down (instead of across). You will still need to hold {down}, unless you insert a block directly above the first (actuated) tooth. I more recently found that this block can be at any one of 3 heights: touching the top of the first tooth or 1 tile above (in which case it can be permanently actuated to background) or 2 tiles above (in which case it must be solid to hoik down (I think).
I was unsure if it could be mirrored at all.
All player hoiks work the same mirrored left>right and similar up>down (when upside down using gravity potion). One could save an image (or screen shot) and mirror it in a paint program, if struggling to visualise the exact block layout when turned around.
[DOUBLEPOST=1415999165][/DOUBLEPOST]
im just wondering, what is this block below the platform?
Sorry, image is broken, not sure what you mean there...?

hope this image works for you
QqNf8Na.png

EDIT:
The reliable way to mount a down is using an actuated first tooth, as in Diagram 2, Figure 14.
thanks for the advice on down hoiks, but i didn't get far enough to get actuators and all that.
Still, Hoiks have been useful so far

Last edited:
That's just a glass platform hammered (once) into glass stairs. The sprite for stairs hangs down into the tile below it's actual location, which can make it look a little messy...
i didn't get far enough to get actuators and all that.
Oh cool! Most people so far seem to have been building hoiks as a novelty, but I think this would be a pretty cool test of hoik's usefulness, to start off immediately using them as part of a transport solution. Is that what you've done? Horizontal hoiks to get you across the map? Or down to hell quickly?

mDzbEg0.png

Is that what you've done? Horizontal Hoiks to get you across the map? Or down to hell quickly?
Horizontal Hoiks are the easiest to build, so i started using them to cross lots of blocks (tiles) at a time. If you look in the bottom left, that is the start of a mob proof base only accessible by Hoiks and wraith-like enemies. I have more hoiks scattered around and most of them connect to this "station" in the bottom right
I will improve it as i go along and might provide pictures

EDIT2: Deleted EDIT1 and changed the picture and some of the description

EDIT3: Edited the description again

EDIT4: cropped the picture and removed the spoiler tags

Last edited:
Horizontal Hoiks are the easiest to build
They absolutely are! But I wasn't sure that people were really getting that, since most of the examples people have shown are fully hollowed out (like my example diagram are, for illustration purposes). You've used the exact mounting type I would recommend too, if I'd gotten around to a basic hoik guide yet! :happy:

If you want ill light up the hoiks in the dirt and you could use the picture as like a "field use" or something

also when building a down hoik it killed me from fall damage :p, so ill stick with horizontal for now and when i get a horseshoe ill build one without the risk of Death

Mr Pants, you could just crop that screen shot and take it out of the spoiler brakets so it's more obvious, that'd be quite sufficient, thanks.
also when building a down hoik it killed me from fall damage
Yeah... In theory you can just put a block of two of water or cobwebs inside the penultimate tooth jump (to reset the fall distance), or a traditional splash pool underneath... But in practice things dooo tend to go wrong still.... Thankfully comedy deaths are funny! Provided non-hardcore... ;(
[DOUBLEPOST=1416033562][/DOUBLEPOST]What gaming platform or mod are you running BTW?

Last edited:
you could just crop that screen shot and take it out of the spoiler brakets so it's more obvious, that'd be quite sufficient, thanks.

ill do that; 4th edit here we come

EDIT:Have a lit version of the above image in spoiler tags
MW31dcF.png

EDIT2:
What gaming platform or mod are you running BTW?
Im using the Terraria Leveled mod with the KH2 style GUI, have a look at the forum post if you want
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-2-4-1-terraria-leveled-rpg-mod.1703/

Last edited:
Does this work on mobile version now? Given the new 1.2 update for it.
Well, mobile update log says you are now equivalent to 1.2.1 on PC, and 1.2 brought in (upwards) slopes, so you guys should have functionality. The Kindle version's lagging behind though, so I can't confirm this.

Easiest way to check is to see if you can make upwards sloped blocks and platforms using hammers? If so, then yes. Although you'll be in the same boat as console players, with no downwards slopes, so down and bottom hoiks won't be available. Try making the mounting tooth of an up hoik (Diagram 1, Fig 2, 3, etc, in my guide), then come back and show/tell us all how you get on! :)

Well, mobile update log says you are now equivalent to 1.2.1 on PC, and 1.2 brought in (upwards) slopes, so you guys should have functionality. The Kindle version's lagging behind though, so I can't confirm this.

Easiest way to check is to see if you can make upwards sloped blocks and platforms using hammers? If so, then yes. Although you'll be in the same boat as console players, with no downwards slopes, so down and bottom hoiks won't be available. Try making the mounting tooth of an up hoik (Diagram 1, Fig 2, 3, etc, in my guide), then come back and show/tell us all how you get on! :)

I have tried to make the mounting tooth. It does not work because there are only 2 ways a platform can be 'hammered' and neither of those two are the upward slope. I have not yet tried using an acutator. I will try soon when I build a testing zone. And for the record I play on IOS.

EDIT: I have not tried yet but I think I put one of the blocks in the wrong place so I can test this also.

there are only 2 ways a platform can be 'hammered' and neither of those two are the upward slope
Thanks for the head's up. Ah, so no stairs in 1.2.1 then?... That makes things even more limited. But as you say, inactive sloped blocks should do the job instead. Also, Diagram 1, Fig 1 should still work (the "insanely fast elevator" design).

Thanks for the head's up. Ah, so no stairs in 1.2.1 then?... That makes things even more limited. But as you say, inactive sloped blocks should do the job instead. Also, Diagram 1, Fig 1 should still work (the "insanely fast elevator" design).
I have done it! I have made it a fully functional good fish farm on iOS! Zarc try it! You can use any mob but I like gold fish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 1,747
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 1,022
This thread should have WAY more attention, as it's an amazing discovery. + You are a genius, you managed to build a 7-bit counter in a 2D game :D

Back
Top Bottom