HOIK! [Guide] - Rapid Player/NPC/Etc Transport Using Only Sloped Tiles.

I've been trying to do that too... 1x1 items sometimes hoik, but not always. they usually end up sitting on top of the hoik or stuck in one because of the way the game places dropped items.

I'm still completely clueless when it comes to hoiking., I'll wait for someone smarter than me to find the answer and just copy it. The reason I mentioned it is because with the 5 second timer all the good items are burning up too.

Same reason I've been trying to get the items to hoik. It's very hit and miss when they actually hoik, so I don't know that it can be done. Hopefully DicemanX or one of these Terrarian Uber-Engineers can figure it out.

Agreed, they're incredible. Can you hoik without switching the blocks on/off? I've seen people walk onto a platform and whoosh off, but I have to press a switch first if I want to do that.

ZeroGravitas has a guide on item hoiking - it will address all the Qs:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...erate-drops-trawl-fallen-stars-and-more.4140/

There's an issue with hoiking size 1 items such as hearts or coins. You can hoik them by repeatedly actuating and deactuating the hoik teeth.

Furthermore, there's a way to separate mobs from items if you wish to set up item hoiks below the spawn surface. This farm illustrates how:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...0-ectoplasm-hr-a-massive-55-platinum-hr.5199/

If you watch the video, you'll see dungeon mobs are dropped into a pit with alternating floors. The alternation of the floors keeps pushing the mobs up, while the items drop below. You can also see this first hand by downloading the most recent ultimate world of mine (check the latest video for the most recent link).

^ Good stuff Dice, which version is the map on? The most recent one I have is 9.2, I think. The one linked on the download is 7.5, lol.

Agreed, they're incredible. Can you hoik without switching the blocks on/off? I've seen people walk onto a platform and whoosh off, but I have to press a switch first if I want to do that.

The stepping onto a platform and wooshing off is a teleporter with a pressure plate they step on and it teleports them into the row of hoiks... my favorite way.

Last edited:
But I just want to walk onto one of those wooden platform ramp things and be off. Not that it matters, all but two of my worlds got deleted for no reason last night, and new ones aren't saving either. My characters all remained though, odd.

I can't believe I'm first to ask. So:

Does hoik! works with newest Terraria release?

I just tested it and I can verify it still works in 1.3 as it stands right now. Could change once the hotfix is up. Well, at least a sideways one, using blocks, and not platforms.

Well, spent a full day/night cycle setting up my first Hoik arena for battling Expert Skeletron, after finally getting it to work mostly (bottom left corner I enter on cant seem to get it to automatically chuck me right after a loop) I found out I cant use water bolts like i planned x.x

Does hoik! works with newest Terraria release?
Yes. As of 1.3.0.4 all hoiks tested as functioning the same. 'Ghost walls' (e.g. using stairs against walls) too. :)
(Slightly awkward changes in wiring of statues and timing of traps, however.)
cant seem to get it to automatically chuck me right after a loopx
Can be a little tricky to close the loop, getting it to join up at exactly can require a half step, so to speak, i.e. a waist height horizontal or a single 1 tile gap in a vertical, to make the play position perfect, as needed. Best to try these things out on small scale first, to check the basics. Not played through 1.3 very far yet, but you might actually be better off with a minecart arena since you can now fire without dismounting. But have some fun with hoiks anyway and good luck all!

Hoiks definitely do work in 1.3.0.5. I've been messing around with them and a I made a neat way to get up to a skybridge (made with minecart tracks, easier to stop on minecarts. :p) which is pretty cool.

I've just rediscovered the Hoik mechanics in 1.3
There's nothing quite like figuring something out and it clicking into place. :happy: I see you have a ghost wall (top left), but a bit puzzeled by the hoik design (bottom left), as with only 1 tile space between every tooth I would have thought that would not work... Does it? (Will have to re-test a bunch of things if so.)

P.S. your URL seems to somehow link to a different picture of something else.
This is so cool!
Great fun the depth of play this game has, it's almost as wierd and wonderful as the real world! :cool:

yea i cant seem to wrap my head around hoiks and how they actually function, I need to start playing around with this at some point

Just a heads up to Diceman and the other engineers, form what I've been playing with, it looks like a lot more of the 1x1 items work with the hoiks in 1.3.0.5....

i cant seem to wrap my head around hoiks and how they actually function
I'm thinking of explaining a little bit about how collision detection is (probably) coded, do you think that might help (you and others)? Or more a practical demonstration of a simple way to get started? (Which I'm also thinking of demonstrating, eventually.)
it looks like a lot more of the 1x1 items work with the hoiks in 1.3.0.5
Really? Any examples of items you can give? You mean they've changed some collision box sizes, perhaps? Can't think of items that didn't hoik at all (off the top of my head).

Back
Top Bottom