Hoiktronics: Passcode-Protected Doors

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
I present my latest creation: a door protected by a passcode. Here's a video showcasing the mechanism:

Passcode-locked Door + Vault:

SXLuW1Y.jpg

On the left is the door with a 10 digit "keypad". The right 5-digit passcode must be entered for the door to open. The door illustrated above protects access to a platinum vault containing over 1000 platinum coins.

Protocol:

1) Pull the C (Clear) lever
2) Input a passcode of 5 digits in the correct order
3) Pull the E (Enter) lever

The 5 digits have to be input in the correct order, otherwise access will not be granted. Furthermore, if the player inputs 3 incorrect passcodes in a row, the system will go into lockdown, trapping the player and releasing spiky balls to kill the player as punishment. Entering the correct passcode will reset the wrong input count.

The passcode can also be changed to any 5 digit number by slightly altering some of the wiring (see below).

The Mechanism:

37eNqBt.jpg

The Wiring:

akegpGM.jpg

Explanation:

When the clear (C) lever is pulled, it clears all prior inputs by triggering a reset mechanism. Reset mechanisms are discussed in more detail here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/project-hoiktronics-reset-mechanisms.7773/

Pulling C also pre-loads another skeleton onto the middle track, which will then be hoiked based on which digits are entered. If the wrong digit is entered at any time, it will either immediately or subsequently cause an up hoik to push the skeleton upwards and to the right. When the enter (E) lever is then pulled, it will cause that skeleton to fall down into a pit activating a pressure plate that turns on a red light to indicate failure.

However, if the right digits are input in the right order, they will keep propelling the skeleton via hoiks to the right along the middle track. Hitting E at the end will cause that skeleton to pass over a pressure plate what will open the door. Hitting C afterwards will close the door and reset the entire mechanism.

There is a mechanism above the door that keeps track of the number of times the E lever is pulled. When it is pulled a 3rd time, it causes the skeleton to pass over a pressure plate that will deactuate a wall to the left of the player as the player stands below the E lever, trapping the player. The pressure plate also triggers the activation of many spiky ball traps, which will kill the player in short order as punishment for failing to input the proper code by the third time.

However, if the correct code is input at any time, it will reset the count so that subsequently the player will still have three tries at inputting the passcode.

The mechanism used to keep count is a feed-forward mechanism - the skeleton is hoiked up one path, hitting a pressure plate that closes that path and opens the adjacent path. Inputting the correct code blocks the path to the pressure plate that kills the player, and triggers a reset mechanism at the very top.

World Download:

http://www.filedropper.com/dicemanxultimatehubworldv64

(passcode to the vault in the world is 5-2-4-7-6).

ZeroGravitas' Guide to Hoiktronics:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/hoiktronics-what-is-it-guide.8371/

Last edited:
The implementation of a configurable password system may make the system more user friendly, though there seems to be no space left, and one would be quite useless, still, as it is, this machinery seems to be a step, a small one, but as important as the others that trail behind.

The implementation of a configurable password system may make the system more user friendly, though there seems to be no space left, and one would be quite useless, still, as it is, this machinery seems to be a step, a small one, but as important as the others that trail behind.

I was originally planning on a configurable passcode system, which would essentially involve putting the password into one register and transferring the info into a second register that would double as the passcode mechanism. This is actually very easily done so long as the passcode requires the input of certain numbers/letters *regardless of the order* of the inputs. Having order matter is a different beast altogether, and much more difficult to implement. Might work on it.

I guess I should have just read in here first before I broke into the vault.

I tunneled under the letters but above the lower mechanisms until I found the wire that activated the door and put a switch on it :p

It was fun though. Felt like I was doing a bank robbery.

I guess I should have just read in here first before I broke into the vault.

I tunneled under the letters but above the lower mechanisms until I found the wire that activated the door and put a switch on it :p

It was fun though. Felt like I was doing a bank robbery.
You made my day mister bank robber :D

Back
Top Bottom