Homeless Playthrough - Finally become a hobo today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftedNightmare Here!

Official Terrarian
(I'm not referring to @Joe, I'm referring to Hobo Joe)

Hey guys Craftamus Nightmarisite here!

I've been trying out a few things in Terraria, and this one is probably one of my great challenges...

Homeless Playthrough!!

This playthrough is not class-based, but yet it's real challenging. Basically, you try and survive for as long as you can without shelter.

Rules:
-You are not allowed to build any homes, not even for the NPCs (but you can keep the Guide in one spot for WoF)
-You cannot take shelter in any homes/bases/structures you find
-You can use storage items, but only ones you find, and they should stay there. [Suggested by @Gotcha!, and adapted by me]
-If thinking sticking in the mines is safe, try doing this on Hardcore.
-You can craft and use trashcans.

And I like to present a new character, meet Joe (not @Joe), the Hobo!
Joe 2.png

He lived his life alone, homeless, left alone, just the way he likes it!

And when he heard of a journey, he knew this would be his goal to getting a bath! But since he can't afford a house (or don't know how to build one), this will be a pickle for him. But he's brave, and knows this will be a walk in the park, filled of zombies.

Progress:
Day 1: The Arrival
As Joe stepped into the world, he was inbetween 2 chasms, but since he only had one chance to live, he used a few platforms (from a nearby tree) to get across
View attachment 26211
Once he got across, he chopped down a few trees, and entered the snow biome with ease. It was quiet, so it was easy to pick off some ice and wood for armor. At near dusk, Joe decided to go to the chasms. Turns out, he spawned near a cool cave, but a short one. When he entered, he saw his guide (You'll find out the name soon), playing in the water. "Oh well" said Joe, and quickly mined out stone for a furnace.
View attachment 26212
When Night fell, he thought of a solution:
There was some land above it, so if he can flatten it out, and settle there without shelter, he can be safe away from zombies. And so he made that idea real. But while doing that, a horde of zombies arrived. Guide was still splashing in the water, so Joe had to do all the work (because who else could do it?)
View attachment 26210
As dawn woke, Joe knew that he should explore a bit, to know what he's facing.
Day 2: The Badlands, armed with a platinum sword.
The sun was rising, and when that happened, Joe was in the chasm, mining. Until he struck Platinum. "Awww, I wanted gold, but I guess this could do"
View attachment 26209
He also saw a trap, and was lucky to jump over it. But he had another idea (give him a lightbulb). Once he can rescue the mechanic from the dungeon, he can be able to make some cool defense, if he had money.
As he mined in the chasms, he didn't have the chance to talk to the Guide. But before he could say anything, he remembered that face, the name...
View attachment 26207
ANDREW, AS IN ANDREW SPINKS, REDIGIT! But Joe wasn't that surprised, and decided to explore a bit.
As he walked, he noticed blood grass, grey trees, and flying Crimera. He was facing, the crimson! He wasn't afraid to enter.
View attachment 26208
It was a bad idea. Face monsters, blood crawlers, crimera. He tried to run away, but he was ambushed. He thought to himself, "This isn't a fight I can win", and used the Ol' menu home teleport.
When he returned, it was night, so Joe decided to decorate his safe zone, with a few fences.
As he was detailing his safezone, the sun rose, and the next day begun.
Day 3: Ore-ighty then...
As the sun rose, Joe was a bit tired. He's had enough of this day and night. If he wants to get past the Crimson with only a scratch, he's gonna need better gear. So he grabbed his Cactus Pickaxe (literally) and went down the mines.

Unfortuantly, there wasn't much. So he had to continue the tunnel, eventually, he found a mushroom biome! Finally he can get high!He saved this for later, it could mean help. He ventured forth until he found a crystal heart. "YES!" He shouted, "I wonder if there's more of these jewels" He took a bite, and he felt better, but still smelt bad.
2015-02-04_00006.jpg

He went around, found sparkles of platinum, tungsten, copper and lead. Not much, but it could be useful. He used his trusty and pointy cactus pick and mined them. He then heard moans, groans and screams. "The crimson" he muttered, "I better move away just incase". And so he did.
2015-02-04_00007.jpg

He managed to get back to surface. It was night, and zombies managed to break into the mines. So he had to grab his sword and break the zombie's limbs into pieces of eight. He even managed to make a shackle, violent.
2015-02-04_00008.jpg
He managed to decorate his safezone with a better ladder, work station and built the fences. As the sun rose, he knew this next day, would be different.

Man, it's been a long while! Hope I still got it...

The sun rose up, meaning a new day has just started. Joe was confident, that he will become stronger today. So today, he decided to venture into the mines, and seek for platinum. When he got to the bottom of the rope, he found the rare cavern bunny, drowning drinking in a nearby pond. He saw this as a good luck sign, which means something good is bound to occur
2015-04-27_00005.jpg

He managed to get to the depths of the cavern, where bats, slimes and skeletons were there to greet him. But luckily, he had his hook to evade the swarms. Lead, copper, useless junk for Joe. When he was about to give up, he found the motherload...
2015-04-27_00006.jpg

In the end, it wasn't enough for armor, but enough for upgrades. He ventured forth more, incase there was more. Turns out, he was half right. There was something useful there, but it was lead and tungsten. He got back to home spawn and forged the ores, into bars, which were turned into stronger weapons and tools. When chopping for wood, he found a nearby ice cavern. "Maybe I could find more platinum, or loot" he thought to himself. His curiosity knew best, and so he entered the cave.

The cave was quiet, too quiet. But it was filled with chasms. Good thing he had the hook. But when he was zipping across chasms, he found what appears to be, a Lost Girl.
2015-04-27_00007.jpg

"I'm not the only one?" he asked. But before he knew it, the Lost Girl was a hoax, and turned into the Nymph. He zipped from wall to wall, but the Nymph was quick and swifty. What was soon to become Joe's demise, he quickly teleported back home, only with bruises and blood all over him. "Guess I'm not a ladies man" he said, with a sad look on his face. The sun quickly fell, so he decided to, once again, go to the mines. Nothing valuable in there this time, but he found not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 Golden Chests, guarded by skeletons
2015-04-27_00008.jpg

He looted them, and found one dynamite, one suspicious looking eye, one lava charm, one hermes boots, and a hell lot of Platinum bars. Just then, he could sense the sun was rising. He quickly teleported home, incase more skeletons would come. "Soon, I'll be able to progress more, and become more stronger" he said, while forging the bars. "Soon..."
More to come! Hope you enjoy the playthrough, and stay crafty!

Last edited:
This looks rather challenging, especially with me always wanting to store EVERYTHING! I will definitely try this.

Done this before. On hardcore. I beat the frost moon. I died from the EoC. Ugh, I summoned EoC then thr dungeon guardian came. I survived one hit from the DG but the the EoC attacked... ):

EDIT:
Not really that hard of a challenge. There's an entire underground to hide in. :)
To spice it up: Force yourself not to create any chests. What you carry is what you got, just like a hobo. ;)
You should be able to use trash cans though...

Not really that hard of a challenge. There's an entire underground to hide in. :)
To spice it up: Force yourself not to create any chests. What you carry is what you got, just like a hobo. ;)
What about ones you find lying around, created through world gen? If you leave them, couldn't you use those as storage?

I'm not sure if this sounds super easy or super hard. Because once you get iron/lead armor you're pretty much invincible from anything that comes out at night. Besides you'd probably spend most of your time mining. But... *dramatic music* ...It sounds cool!

Day 1: The Arrival
As Joe stepped into the world, he was inbetween 2 chasms, but since he only had one chance to live, he used a few platforms (from a nearby tree) to get across
2015-02-02_00001.jpg

Once he got across, he chopped down a few trees, and entered the snow biome with ease. It was quiet, so it was easy to pick off some ice and wood for armor. At near dusk, Joe decided to go to the chasms. Turns out, he spawned near a cool cave, but a short one. When he entered, he saw his guide (You'll find out the name soon), playing in the water. "Oh well" said Joe, and quickly mined out stone for a furnace.
2015-02-02_00002.jpg

When Night fell, he thought of a solution:

There was some land above it, so if he can flatten it out, and settle there without shelter, he can be safe away from zombies. And so he made that idea real. But while doing that, a horde of zombies arrived. Guide was still splashing in the water, so Joe had to do all the work (because who else could do it?)
2015-02-02_00004.jpg

As dawn woke, Joe knew that he should explore a bit, to know what he's facing.

Day 2: The Badlands, armed with a platinum sword.

The sun was rising, and when that happened, Joe was in the chasm, mining. Until he struck Platinum. "Awww, I wanted gold, but I guess this could do"
2015-02-02_00005.jpg

He also saw a trap, and was lucky to jump over it. But he had another idea (give him a lightbulb). Once he can rescue the mechanic from the dungeon, he can be able to make some cool defense, if he had money.

As he mined in the chasms, he didn't have the chance to talk to the Guide. But before he could say anything, he remembered that face, the name...
2015-02-02_00008.jpg

ANDREW, AS IN ANDREW SPINKS, REDIGIT! But Joe wasn't that surprised, and decided to explore a bit.

As he walked, he noticed blood grass, grey trees, and flying Crimera. He was facing, the crimson! He wasn't afraid to enter.
2015-02-02_00010.jpg

It was a bad idea. Face monsters, blood crawlers, crimera. He tried to run away, but he was ambushed. He thought to himself, "This isn't a fight I can win", and used the Ol' menu home teleport.

When he returned, it was night, so Joe decided to decorate his safe zone, with a few fences.

As he was detailing his safezone, the sun rose, and the next day begun.

Stay tuned for Day 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom