Game Mechanics Homing (Magic) Weapons/Set Bonuses To Be Useful in PVP

Bitey Senpai

Terrarian
Alright, so you know how you occasionally want to challenge your friend to a little duel, right? Well, if you're a magic build and they aren't, odds are you're about to get stomped.

As most of you know, mages rely quite heavily on their attacks that home in on opponents. Such as the Spectre Staff, Razorblade Typhoon, etc.
I mean, even the magnet sphere uses a targeting method in it's own way.

Some of the most used magical weapons of mine, and they're all rendered nearly useless in a PVP scenario. Without them, I may as well be a ranger with slow projectiles and a low rate of fire.

That said, one could consider making Chlorophyte ammunition have a homing ability in PVP, but that would definitely be overpowered.
I've dueled my friend while using my magic weapons many times, and I can't even come close due to the fact that my Spectre Armor's set bonus AND my magic weapons' homing abilities are rendered non-existent in a PVP scenario.

My friend, who uses his... sigh-
Vampire Knives... and his Beetle armor, can rather easily dominate my mage with just a little bit of walking around and spamming knives in my direction. I'm not particularly competitive when it comes to Terraria, but that seems like a major imbalance as far as PVP mechanics go.

However, with my ranger set, sporting my Chaingun and Exploding Bullets, I can win most of the time.

Shouldn't all of the classes be viable in a PVP battle, and not just ranged and melee?

If you have any reasons for why this should remain as-is, I'd be very interested in hearing why. Or if you have better suggestions, by all means, post them here.

Alright, so you know how you occasionally want to challenge your friend to a little duel, right? Well, if you're a magic build and they aren't, odds are you're about to get stomped.

As most of you know, mages rely quite heavily on their attacks that home in on opponents. Such as the Spectre Staff, Razorblade Typhoon, etc.
I mean, even the magnet sphere uses a targeting method in it's own way.

Some of the most used magical weapons of mine, and they're all rendered nearly useless in a PVP scenario. Without them, I may as well be a ranger with slow projectiles and a low rate of fire.

That said, one could consider making Chlorophyte ammunition have a homing ability in PVP, but that would definitely be overpowered.
I've dueled my friend while using my magic weapons many times, and I can't even come close due to the fact that my Spectre Armor's set bonus AND my magic weapons' homing abilities are rendered non-existent in a PVP scenario.

My friend, who uses his... sigh-
Vampire Knives... and his Beetle armor, can rather easily dominate my mage with just a little bit of walking around and spamming knives in my direction. I'm not particularly competitive when it comes to Terraria, but that seems like a major imbalance as far as PVP mechanics go.

However, with my ranger set, sporting my Chaingun and Exploding Bullets, I can win most of the time.

Shouldn't all of the classes be viable in a PVP battle, and not just ranged and melee?

If you have any reasons for why this should remain as-is, I'd be very interested in hearing why. Or if you have better suggestions, by all means, post them here.
First of all, who said that mages rely on homing projectiles? In all of my experience as a PvPer, I have to say that mages are the usual go-to class for pvp. (besides terra spammers) Besides, mages have plenty of other spells up their sleeves, i.e inferno fork, heat ray, leaf blower, bubble gun, etc. I mean, if you practice with a set of magic weapons, and dodge, you can be practically unstoppable, VKs or no.

I agree that homing weapons should also home into players, (though I imagine that there's a reason they don't) but this would also have to apply to none magic weapons like the possessed hatchet and chlorophyte bullets.

First of all, who said that mages rely on homing projectiles? In all of my experience as a PvPer, I have to say that mages are the usual go-to class for pvp. (besides terra spammers) Besides, mages have plenty of other spells up their sleeves, i.e inferno fork, heat ray, leaf blower, bubble gun, etc. I mean, if you practice with a set of magic weapons, and dodge, you can be practically unstoppable, VKs or no.

And my argument is that with all of this, you're still stuck with either a slow-firing weapon (The Heat Ray), or slow projectiles. (Leaf Blower, Inferno Fork.)
Weapons like the Bubble Gun have the right damage and firing speed for the job, but the range of a melee weapon.

You can practice to improve your abilities using said weapons, and might do alright in a PVP fight. But my argument also makes the claim that the other classes don't have that problem. They don't need to practice as much, if at all.

And my argument is that with all of this, you're still stuck with either a slow-firing weapon (The Heat Ray), or slow projectiles. (Leaf Blower, Inferno Fork.)
Weapons like the Bubble Gun have the right damage and firing speed for the job, but the range of a melee weapon.
Don't forget the razor-pine and blizzard staff!

Don't forget the razor-pine and blizzard staff!

The Razor-Pine is a pretty great PVP weapon, but it's true strength also lies in my set-bonus. The Blizzard Staff, however, has to travel from the top of the screen to the enemy, and to actually make it hit them somewhat consistently, I'd have to spray it to their left and right quite a lot. After it's used all of my mana, I can safely assume I probably hit them a good 7-8 times. But now I'm out of mana and they're not even hurt that badly. Of course with my set-bonus... Different story.[DOUBLEPOST=1413943048][/DOUBLEPOST]The thing I think that keeps resurfacing in PVP is...

"He who can spam the most, wins."

One thing I thing would be awesome in PvP would be if you could block projectiles from the enemies with your own weapons, also...
The Razor-Pine is a pretty great PVP weapon, but it's true strength also lies in my set-bonus. The Blizzard Staff, however, has to travel from the top of the screen to the enemy, and to actually make it hit them somewhat consistently, I'd have to spray it to their left and right quite a lot. After it's used all of my mana, I can safely assume I probably hit them a good 7-8 times. But now I'm out of mana and they're not even hurt that badly. Of course with my set-bonus... Different story.[DOUBLEPOST=1413943048][/DOUBLEPOST]The thing I think that keeps resurfacing in PVP is...

"He who can spam the most, wins."
what is this set bonus you keep bringing up?

One thing I thing would be awesome in PvP would be if you could block projectiles from the enemies with your own weapons, also...

what is this set bonus you keep bringing up?
He probably means either the spectre mask or hood bonus.

You can practice to improve your abilities using said weapons, and might do alright in a PVP fight. But my argument also makes the claim that the other classes don't have that problem. They don't need to practice as much, if at all.
All you're seeing in the weapons I pointed out are the negatives, The heat ray is nowhere near being slow. It has a near-instantaneous bolt with a minor delay in the autofire. leaf blower is also a rather fast weapon, and inferno fork is a perfect trap weapon if you can calulate your opponents movement pattern. But I digress, if you want a fast weapon, try using shadowbeam staff.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but you could also try staying on top of your opponent and using continuous fire on them.

He probably means either the spectre mask or hood bonus.

All you're seeing in the weapons I pointed out are the negatives, The heat ray is nowhere near being slow. It has a near-instantaneous bolt with a minor delay in the autofire. leaf blower is also a rather fast weapon, and inferno fork is a perfect trap weapon if you can calulate your opponents movement pattern. But I digress, if you want a fast weapon, try using shadowbeam staff.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but you could also try staying on top of your opponent and using continuous fire on them.
So that leaves Mages with a specific set of weapons that they can use for PVP. My pets should also help me in a fight against another player, actually. This means we're forced to choose weapons that can cut it, but we also have to be very careful and serious during the whole fight if you want to win. Something that the other two classes aren't too worried about.

Back
Top Bottom