Working as Designed Update: Thank you so much Leinfors. (Hotfix 1.4.4.4 Broke Shimmer Skyblock)

Freedbot

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Update 1.4.4.6: I'm only just starting to look at and test out the spawn and biome behavior changes to see what's what, but this hotfix is a MASSIVE olive branch for skyblocks and map makers in general. All these little tweaks may not seem like they affect much, but it's actually a big deal. It was a lot more than I expected and I'm truly grateful. I'll keep posting in the 1.4.4 Discovery thread as I have been for the bugs and more nuanced changes.

P.S. Also, I'm sorry for being a headache.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had just released a skyblock map that relied on the shimmer to play today, then found out it had been broken right before starting the debut stream. Dropping your starting copper axe and shortsword in the shimmer was the way to get your first dirt blocks to farm mobs and make dirt bombs. You could have adjusted the pricing or sell values to fix the money dupe bug, but instead you had to remove the feature. I know this is unforseeable, but please understand my frustration. You guys have done so much for Skyblock creators without even realizing it, and yet those last few steps keep eluding us. Please give me the uncraft back in some form for blocks. It would also be just fine if it skips the copper bar and ore stages and gives stone and wood instead.

While I'm at it (low priority)... Hellstone ore and dungeon bricks. Also unsafe dirt wall/livingwood wall. Hellstone ore is ideal in hellstone crates. Dungeon bricks could use a means of being craftable (shimmer with anything is fine). Unsafe dirt wall or living wood wall for gnomes is the lowest priority, but unarguably nice to have.

Last edited:
@Leinfors I am aware that it's working as designed, but I'm reporting a consequence of a bugfix, so I felt this was the place to do it. I'm just hoping that you can at least forward my note of the effects of disabling options from shimmer recipes rather than changing their results or prices when exploits/bugs like this are dealt with.

Certainly the the second paragraph does not belong in this forum section, but I was already primed and ready at my keyboard. Please don't dismiss the primary concern because I'm enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Price changes alone wouldn't have resolved the changes made, some of the items changed had a very substantial discrepancy between the amount of money generated versus how much they cost. Those items aren't meant to be excessively expensive., so I don't feel as if targeted price changes with negative impacts on the rest of the playerbase JUST TO SUPPORT theoretical Skyblock challenges, is a fair request to make. Just as much as the change bothered you, someone else may be bothered by changing it back the way you suggest.

I think its really much too early to be getting too attached to unintentional exploits of the Shimmer system, its only been one week since release. Its one thing if something had been like this for years, but just 7 days after launch?

Price changes alone wouldn't have resolved the changes made, some of the items changed had a very substantial discrepancy between the amount of money generated versus how much they cost. Those items aren't meant to be excessively expensive., so I don't feel as if targeted price changes with negative impacts on the rest of the playerbase JUST TO SUPPORT theoretical Skyblock challenges, is a fair request to make. Just as much as the change bothered you, someone else may be bothered by changing it back the way you suggest.

I think its really much too early to be getting too attached to unintentional exploits of the Shimmer system, its only been one week since release. Its one thing if something had been like this for years, but just 7 days after launch?
What about the option to tweak the uncraft results? Uncraft further down the chain to stone instead of copper or something similar. These are worthless in the eyes of exploiters and npcs, and it's not like there hasn't been several other uncrafts that were customized for this reason rather than disabling them.

I don't believe the INTENT of my request/report is unfair. I'd even say I'd like to reduce negative impacts on the larger player base. A compromise is generally preferred to a blacklist. That's all I'm saying. A well handled example: making shimmer invulnerability not apply to boss damage rather than disabling it outright. I'll try to stifle long held obsession with the skyblock potentials of the game, as you're right about it not being on topic. However... It was unintended, but saying "theoretical" is a bit of an insult to dozens of maps and a few mods with thousands of downloads, even if it is microscopic compared to the player base. You implied that my work to support the game and make content doesn't matter and that I want to hurt the community. I AM sorry for the implication of changing the price balance and affecting players. I respect that you're most likely correct about it, I didn't check the values of the exploit. It was one of two options I was spit-balling because I felt copper has always had a rough time seeing any value to justify mining, but that's an unsubstantiated opinion of mine.

Uncraft isn't a word, and yet I keep using it. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom