NPCs & Enemies How about...some new NPCs?

Would these new NPCs be a good addition to the game?

• Total voters

SirPelo

Terrarian
There’s never enough merchants as long as you have a steady supply of platinum. For example, how about a merchant that sells defenses to your base, such as turrets and all the other technological wonders of today? Or what about guard NPCs which help make your settlement a safer place? Or how about built in villages with actual villagers living in there, because sometimes terraria feels like such a lonely game. Hiring mercenaries is a good one too, especially when you go on missions to defeat bosses or purify the crimson or corruption, in which these hired warriors will keep you covered or fight alongside you. Hopefully at least a few of these would make it into the game because after you craft shroomite armor and beat all the bosses in mobile, there’s not much to do. Also, I am referring to mobile, as it is very much lagging behind the PC and console versions, which is why shroomite armor is the best since mobile lacks moon Lord.

Not only is the base 100% safe most of the time due to NPC enemy despawning mechanics, there are already traps to guard the base. Adding something like a turret would generally break the balance of those.

Mercenaries would be a cheap way to cheese battles, and be extremely difficult to create an AI for.

Last edited:
Not only is the base 100% safe most of the time due to NPC enemy despawning mechanics, there are already traps to guard the base. Adding somethign like a turret would generally break the balance of those.

Mercenaries would be a cheap way to cheese battles, and be extremely difficult to create an AI for.
In my experience, the base is NEVER safe. I have my entire background walled and I still manage to lose 3-4 merchants per night. I thought of turrets because of the absolutely ridiculous spawn rate of the monsters in frost moon and pumpkin moon events, which are again, mobile. Mercenaries could function just like pets, just hireable ones, and also don’t clip through walls. Traps need to be triggered and can be to some extent, unreliable. However, you are right about the mercenaries cheesing the battle. Maybe a MERCHANT TYPE NPC will come along after certain requirements are fulfilled and then, and only then can you hire mercenaries, for an expensive amount of money. Maybe you could be given the option to arm the mercenaries yourself. But then again, they need to be expensive. Also, why are you always replying to my threads XD

In my experience, the base is NEVER safe. I have my entire background walled and I still manage to lose 3-4 merchants per night. I thought of turrets because of the absolutely ridiculous spawn rate of the monsters in frost moon and pumpkin moon events, which are again, mobile. Mercenaries could function just like pets, just hireable ones, and also don’t clip through walls. Traps need to be triggered and can be to some extent, unreliable. However, you are right about the mercenaries cheesing the battle. Maybe a MERCHANT TYPE NPC will come along after certain requirements are fulfilled and then, and only then can you hire mercenaries, for an expensive amount of money. Maybe you could be given the option to arm the mercenaries yourself. But then again, they need to be expensive. Also, why are you always replying to my threads XD
You shouldn't need to wall your background. More than 4 NPCs together stops mob spawning altogether except on special occasions.

On those occasions, any mobs can be stopped by the door being elevated. If you don't want to do that, a single spear trap above the door will reset the mob action timer and prevent it from breaking the door. If you're fighting a special event you shouldn't really be around your base in the first place.

I reply to most threads because I watch every subforum.

I am referring to mobile, as it is very much lagging behind the PC and console versions,
You do know console has like these exclusives an is 5 times more expensive than mobile
Recolored and slightly stronger enimies with less of the same drops
Aesthetic changes
Vs
Valentine's day
St.Patricks day
Lepus
Turkor the ungrateful (Who reminds me of you)
Jungle sanctums
Autofire on all guns
And Heart Caverns

You do know console has like these exclusives an is 5 times more expensive than mobile
Recolored and slightly stronger enimies with less of the same drops
Aesthetic changes
Vs
Valentine's day
St.Patricks day
Lepus
Turkor the ungrateful (Who reminds me of you)
Jungle sanctums
Autofire on all guns
And Heart Caverns
The mobile additions are needless and unbalanced fluff, nothing more.

There’s never enough merchants as long as you have a steady supply of platinum.
Uh, I'm pretty sure there is, but I would love more NPCs.
For example, how about a merchant that sells defenses to your base, such as turrets and all the other technological wonders of today?
1) We already have cannons.
2) "Technological wonders of today?" Do you mean like security lasers or what?
Or what about guard NPCs which help make your settlement a safer place?
Can't they all do that? NPCs can protect themselves from mobs (in PC version; I'm waiting for them to add this to mobile). Oh, do you mean an NPC that goes really fast and has a sole task to kill mobs but then runs away and falls into your diligently-made lava contraption because it's chasing a Flying Fish while it's raining outside? Ok, I'm kidding about that one, but the NPCs can protect themselves already. If you want your NPCs protected, you should do a better job at doing it yourself.
Or how about built in villages with actual villagers living in there, because sometimes terraria feels like such a lonely game.
I like the idea of an village structure, but do we really need villagers when we have NPCs???? I think an abandoned village would be cool. Yep, I would go with that.
Hiring mercenaries is a good one too, especially when you go on missions to defeat bosses or purify the crimson or corruption, in which these hired warriors will keep you covered or fight alongside you.
I don't really have much information about this. Luckily, you commented on this.
Mercenaries could function just like pets, just hireable ones, and also don’t clip through walls.
Now we have underpowered pets.
However, you are right about the mercenaries cheesing the battle. Maybe a MERCHANT TYPE NPC will come along after certain requirements are fulfilled and then, and only then can you hire mercenaries, for an expensive amount of money.
Now we have expensive, underpowered pets.
Maybe you could be given the option to arm the mercenaries yourself. But then again, they need to be expensive.
Now we have expensive, underpowered pets that you need to use your resources and weapons to make decent.
Hopefully at least a few of these would make it into the game because after you craft shroomite armor and beat all the bosses in mobile, there’s not much to do.
I'm pretty sure that, if these NPCs were added, they would be used before you craft shroomite armor and beat all the bosses in mobile. However, you are right. There isn't anything to do after that.
Also, I am referring to mobile, as it is very much lagging behind the PC and console versions, which is why shroomite armor is the best since mobile lacks moon Lord.
I agree with you on that one.

Back
Top Bottom