PC How do I beat the destroyer in 1.3 as a mage?

King Arthur

Terrarian
Ive played terraria many times. I have hundreds of hours into the game and Ive "beat the game" multiple times. My favorite class to play is mage and this is my 2nd 1.3 run as the mage, and for some reason im struggling to defeat the destroyer this time around. Idk if he got buffed since I last played but I cannot defeat him. I have full adamantite armor with the headgear for magic damage, the shadowflame hex doll, life drain, queen spider staff, and a meteor staff as weapons. My accessories are an obsidian shield, harpy wings, lightning boots, mana flower, and the charm of myths.

If you can clear twins as you are, I'd suggest the harp. Without it, I'd suggest laser rifle (WoF) and possibly crystal storm, and in either case, I'd suggest crimson rod and golden shower if you've got crimson, and Nimbus Rod even if you don't, because magic rain hurts.

Just to point out the obvious, The Destroyer is a multi-segment, so you'll definitely want something the pierces. That's the number one consideration for picking a weapon against this boss.

As said above, if you have a Nimbus Rod, put some clouds above him to deal constant damage. With it, you'll have only to focus on probes.

If you haven't got one, try the Magical Harp. It pierces without limits and it's useful if you managed to kill The Twins. The Golden Shower pierces too, but keep a little balance, so you won't be overwhelmed by probes.

The Meteor Staff, you have, is pretty useful against this boss. I've used it once and I managed to beat him with it. I suggest to use Mana Regen Potions and a Star In A Bottle, to increase your mana regen. This weapon drains it pretty quickly.

Any good, fast weapon works against probes. They aren't that hard to beat.

Ive played terraria many times. I have hundreds of hours into the game and Ive "beat the game" multiple times. My favorite class to play is mage and this is my 2nd 1.3 run as the mage, and for some reason im struggling to defeat the destroyer this time around. Idk if he got buffed since I last played but I cannot defeat him. I have full adamantite armor with the headgear for magic damage, the shadowflame hex doll, life drain, queen spider staff, and a meteor staff as weapons. My accessories are an obsidian shield, harpy wings, lightning boots, mana flower, and the charm of myths.
I suggest to do a safety box where you sit. If you get the destroyer get in great postion you can kill it whit puresing weapons! Like magic harp.

The most efficient way to beat the Destroyer at your stage is to use the Magical Harp, whose infinite piercing really ruins his day. Though you'll need to beat the Twins for that; some good weapons against them would be the Crystal Storm, Golden Shower, Demon Scythe and Life Drain.
Your Meteor Staff is good at hitting multiple segments, and the Nimbus Rod makes for good area control against him and the Probes. Your Life Drain is valuable for keeping you alive, and the Hex Doll should also be good at destroying Probes.
Your accessories are just fine, though maybe you'll want a Star Veil to reduce the damage taken as well as cause stars to fall. These stars deal magic damage so a mage could make good use out of them. Perhaps you could replace either your Lightning Boots or Harpy Wings; both are good, but if you were to use a Pigron Mount (Scaly Truffle caught in the Underground Snow blended with Crimson/Hallow, via fishing), you would be able to run and fly fairly fast without the use of those accessories. That helped me on one of my characters so I suggest you give it a try. Good luck.

The Golden Shower is indeed a good choice for the Destroyer. Since he has tons of 'hit boxes' on his body.

If have the weapons and tools you said you have than my suggestion would be to use the shadow flame hex doll in a good arena with a campfire and heart lantern. I used pretty much everything you used to do it except I would recommend using the set with the most armor because you would need to be up close. the hex doll shouldn't need the damage boost to do the job. I would also use the nimbus rod to passively deal damage while you attack him yourself.

I recommend using Nimbus Rod as a backline weapon (constant mediocre damage without effort), Shadowflame Hex Doll as a supportive weapon for probes/incoming NPCs and also some extra chip damage to the Destroyer. My main weapon was the Laser Rifle for this battle, but Meteor Staff works wonders too.

I use the flying knife found from the Hallowed Mimic and Nimbus Rod to absolutely TEAR through the Destroyer, and that's in expert mode. My best suggestion is to build an arena, and then build a box 20 or so blocks upwards and put things like star lanterns, heart lanterns, crystal ball, honey, etc, to stay safe. When a probe gets to your box, use a fast melee or ranged weapon to tear through the probes. I myself use the Fetid Bahgnaks.

Back
Top Bottom