PC How do I disable title screen animations?

LoonyLadle

Terrarian
First post here, please be gentle. ❤️

As the title says, how can I disable animations on the title screen? I'm extremely sensitive to motion and I can't read anything in the menu while my eyes are being distracted with the clouds rolling past and the sun arcing across the sky and the color of the screen changing and the shooting stars on the nighttime screen, which is making it impossible to do anything.

How about mod solutions? I really need to be able to focus on the options menu so I can set up for left-handed play.

Has the title screen always been like this? I don't remember having this much difficulty years ago when I last played, but I've been getting alarmingly neurotic this last year.

I'm not currently aware of mods that do this, but they might exist. The title screen has been like this for a while I believe too. I do ask though, if you can't manage the title screen, surely being in-game will be even worse?

You could try turning off the Background (Settings>Video>Background).

Several of the enemies in the game dart back and forth on the screen, if the title screen bothers you then I imagine that those mobs would as well.

As far as I recall, the title screen has always had that sort of motion in it.

edit: You can also disable the background by editing the config.json file (found in Documents/My Games/Terraria):

Code:
 "BackgroundEnabled": true,

change the value to false.

Last edited:
If something is moving in the game, then it's usually something that requires an immediate reaction. It's something I need to dodge, kill, or collect, and my brain knows to stop whatever it is I am doing to take care of it. Motion = Important! It's a reflex that serves me very well... except when devs try to be cute.

Disabling the background doesn't disable the animated elements.

Turns out that once you're actually in the game world you still have access to the full settings menu, but you also have access to this little thing called a pause which... y'know... pauses. And also the GUI in the game has backgrounds to the settings so the letters are easy to read.

So I guess that's a solution, if not precisely to the original question...

Back
Top Bottom