How do I play as a vampire without mods?

Predious

The Destroyer
Title should be straight-forward, but I'm asking because I had the thought crop into my head after watching some clips from Queen of the Damned (2002) and under recommended videos, Terraria videos showed up.

Anyway, from only going out at night to using life steal items and gear, I can understand that. But I want to do more then that. I want to drink blood, look like a vampire (and I don't mean just using the costume, that's too easy) and play-style and gear recommendations beyond the obvious vampire knives. I want to hear from everyone what items and gear and even structures I could build to live in and take on the role as a vampire.

I appreciate any and all constructive comments and suggestions, and I hope this turns out well~ Might even try to make a video about it if I can ever motivate myself into doing it. And I don't mean just a showcase of what could be, I mean playing survival as a vampire from first spawn to Moonlord even.

Thanks and have an awesome holiday season!

Last edited:
Well, for all sorts of themed playthroughs, it all boils down to the restrictions you place on yourself. For instance, the "Merfolk" ruleset involves putting on a Neptune's Shell and equipping a Fish Bowl in your armor slot so you drown on dry land and can breathe underwater.

While you say you want to do things like "drink blood" those obviously can't really be done very easily within the current limitations of non-modded, but you can take a few liberties. For instance, you could build a village but be entirely banned from actually settling in the place - you could live within a nearby Crimson biome, for instance, and only set out at night or during a solar eclipse. This means you can only utilize NPCs at a certain time of day, and if you want to go a step further you could also force yourself to deal damage to them or even kill them after utilizing their services. You could also make a nightly task where you need to damage/kill a town NPC every night while holding a voodoo doll, but realistically that'll just get super tedious and the novelty will wear off very quickly.

You can prohibit the use of the Magic Mirror as well if you wish, as vampires in many forms of media are unable to see their reflections. Returning to your home base will require either using a recall potion or logging out; it's up to you if you want to allow cell phone usage.

Another thing to consider is the common folklore weakness to silver. While this traditionally only involves being struck by silver weaponry, you can prohibit yourself from using any silver tools, silver bullets, or even bring this as far as to not using money for any reason as it would involve handling silver.

From there you need to decide if you want this to be purely a detrimental playthrough that's meant to add extra challenge, or if you want to add some kind of super-powered perk. Perhaps you could offset your weaknesses by starting with some Bat Wings to give an early movement advantage? Throw in a Moon Charm (with the transformation hidden, of course!) to make yourself more powerful at night from the get-go? Some vampires are capable of teleportation; start off with a Rod of Discord! Maybe go more moderate and start off with a Life Drain? Follow your dreams.

I recommend browsing the Wikipedia page for further reading if you wish to throw down your own personal flair. Things like this are only the tip of the iceberg; in a game like Terraria the world and how you interact with it is truly yours to experience in any way you see fit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vampire_traits_in_folklore_and_fiction

Well, for all sorts of themed playthroughs, it all boils down to the restrictions you place on yourself. For instance, the "Merfolk" ruleset involves putting on a Neptune's Shell and equipping a Fish Bowl in your armor slot so you drown on dry land and can breathe underwater.

While you say you want to do things like "drink blood" those obviously can't really be done very easily within the current limitations of non-modded, but you can take a few liberties. For instance, you could build a village but be entirely banned from actually settling in the place - you could live within a nearby Crimson biome, for instance, and only set out at night or during a solar eclipse. This means you can only utilize NPCs at a certain time of day, and if you want to go a step further you could also force yourself to deal damage to them or even kill them after utilizing their services. You could also make a nightly task where you need to damage/kill a town NPC every night while holding a voodoo doll, but realistically that'll just get super tedious and the novelty will wear off very quickly.

You can prohibit the use of the Magic Mirror as well if you wish, as vampires in many forms of media are unable to see their reflections. Returning to your home base will require either using a recall potion or logging out; it's up to you if you want to allow cell phone usage.

Another thing to consider is the common folklore weakness to silver. While this traditionally only involves being struck by silver weaponry, you can prohibit yourself from using any silver tools, silver bullets, or even bring this as far as to not using money for any reason as it would involve handling silver.

From there you need to decide if you want this to be purely a detrimental playthrough that's meant to add extra challenge, or if you want to add some kind of super-powered perk. Perhaps you could offset your weaknesses by starting with some Bat Wings to give an early movement advantage? Throw in a Moon Charm (with the transformation hidden, of course!) to make yourself more powerful at night from the get-go? Some vampires are capable of teleportation; start off with a Rod of Discord! Maybe go more moderate and start off with a Life Drain? Follow your dreams.

I recommend browsing the Wikipedia page for further reading if you wish to throw down your own personal flair. Things like this are only the tip of the iceberg; in a game like Terraria the world and how you interact with it is truly yours to experience in any way you see fit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vampire_traits_in_folklore_and_fiction
Thank you for that response! This thread was made to build up a collection of thoughts and ideas, and you've made the first contribution to that effort, and my what a well made post that was, complete with a link to the Wiki. I very much appreciate that and I be taking this into account when I finally do get around to doing this playthrough.

Back
Top Bottom