How do rabbits work?

Elk

Terrarian
So, Im currently trying to do the Drow Elf challenge, and a pretty weird thing happened.

Ive started building a house, pretty deep down, and then rabbits just appeared.
34B3C5234F54116C3A4F4D08C3E941515D5FFA4B

E4F1D337C542720E174B46F631F31988DA867DA7

I know that NPCs reduce the spawn rate of enemies, but do they increase the spawn rate of critters? Even still, I thought rabbits only spawned on the surface.

The thing is, this isnt the first time ive encountered rabbits deep underground. One time a while ago I was exploring the underground hallow, and I kept finding bunnies in different caves with no rabbit statue around. During that time I didnt have any NPCs living down in those caves

8CFD78EE7CF3CE28F2EFEF5E4CB8E20F3EA939CA

Am I just cursed or is there actually a reason that im finding so many rabbits deep underground?

NPC's do increase the spawn rate of critters.
My first house in Terraria was on a sky island and I was covered up in bunnies.
And not too long ago, in a newer world, I made a house in the UG Jungle and moved the Merchant down there. Lo and behold I had a bunny hopping into the Temple.

Thats good and all, but look at the last picture. Im pretty sure that was a medium world (if not a large) and I was at lava level. On most my worlds, including that one I just build all my npc houses near my spawn on the surface
They tend to travel around and they don't take fall damage.
Also they don't despawn.

The spawn any where where there's dirt and (possibly) a player nearby.

I have them rain from the "sky" down in my hellbase, even far from the NPC spawns. It's fun to sit and watch them take dives into lava...

iirc they spawn on dirt. I could test but meh I have errands to do.
They also spawn on dungeon bricks(green ones) I found this out when I had the insane idea to build a house in the dungeon
Also bunnies aren't harmed by dungeon spikes blazing wheels as one would expect do however instantly obliterate them...

Back
Top Bottom