How do you organize your hotbar?

I tend to organize it like this:
1: Melee weapon
2: Pickaxe
3: Axe
4: Hammer (sometimes)
5-9: Miscellaneous weapons I like

Main weapon #1, Pickaxe is always #2, 9 is always magic mirror, and it irritates me to no end when I misclick. :sigh:

1. If available, RoD. If not, weapon.
2. - 3. Weapons.
4. Pickaxe.
5. Hammer/Axe/Fishing Rod/Bug Net, depending on situation.
6. Whatever block is currently available to me.
7. Additional blocks/furniture/random junk.
8. Magic Mirror/Cellphone.
9. Glowsticks.
0. Torches.

1. Primary Weapon
2. Secondary Weapon
3. Pickaxe
4. Axe
5. Hammer
6. Summon Weapon
7-0 Misc and Junk.

My inventory often depends on what items I have available, but here's the typical ordering system I follow
1. Secondary weapon
2. Primary weapon
3. Tertiary weapon
I order things like this because I use the numbers to access the first half of the hotbar, and the number 2 is closest to my movement keys and easiest to press for me. 1 is easier than 3 as well. I use the scroll-wheel for the rest of the hot bar
If I am missing a tertiary weapon, 4 through 7 will shift left to compensate. Same with secondary, however this only ever happens early game when I find the pickaxe as the most useful tool anyways.

4. Pickaxe
5. Axe
6. Hammer
7. Random
8. Other tool (Fishing rod, bug net, whatever else)
9. Rod of Discord
0. Magic Mirror/Cellphone
In the case of the last three, if one is missing the others will shift right to compensate

Slot 1: Pickaxe
Slot 2: Hammer/Axe
Slot 3: Weapon 1
Slot 4: Weapon 2
Slot 5: Weapon 3
Slot 6: Weapon 4
Slot 7: Weapon 5
Slot 8: Piggy Bank
Slot 9: Safe
Slot 0: Cell Phone/Teleportation Device

Typically,
1: main weapon
2: close-to-main weapon
3: pickaxe
4: hamaxe
5-9: usually one or two other weapons, and utility gear (bug net, rope, fishing rod, wirecutters, etc.)
0: torches

1-Blade
2-Bow/gun depending on stage of game
3-Yo-yo
4-Backup weapon (summon/spear)
5-Pickaxe/Drill
6-Axe/Hamaxe/Hammer if I have a Drax
7-Heal potions
8-Secondary Backup (summon/spear)
9-Piggy Bank/Money Trough
10-Mirror/Cell Phone/Recall potions earlygame

1. Zenith/etc (or just whatever weapon)
2. Secondary weapon (obviously if you have zenith you don't need this but then...)

4-5. Other (depends on what I'm doing)

6: Summoning Weapon
7: Block
8. Pickaxe
9. Hamaxe (dont use much so minimizes the risk of accidently RoDing)
10. Rod of Discord
Never. Ever. Put. Magic. Mirror. In. Hotbar.

1. Weapon
2. Weapon
3. Pickaxe
4.summon Weapon
5. Blocks
6. Health potions (I'm a baby, I carry them everywhere lol)
7. Random
8. Random
9. Random
10. Magic mirror (ik it's a bad idea but oh well)

It's interesting how many people in this thread have similar loadouts to mine, for example always carrying a sword/other melee weapon, even if not playing as a melee build.
Anyway, for me it's usually:

1 - sword or other melee weapon
2 - pickaxe
3 - axe
4 - strongest, usually ranged weapon
5 - anothor weapon with a more situational use
6 and 7 - random stuff, usually fishing rods, summons or more weapons. I used to carry health potions here before I knew about the hotkey lol
8 - random common blocks, usually stone or dirt
9 - torches
0 - magic mirror

Also, funny related story: My oldest character from, like, 2013 that I still use from time to time has sunflowers in his hotbar. When I started playing I was terrified of the corruption spreading and with my limited knowledge of the game I thought sunflowers were the best way to stop it. I thought they were super important so I put a stack of them in my hotbar and for some reason I never removed them. It's been so long now that removing them would not only just feel weird, but they're also a memento of a simpler time, when corruption spread was my biggest worry.

0 is always my Magic Mirror or Cell Phone
9 is torches
8 is rope until rope becomes obsolete (around the time you get the grappling hook in my experience)
1-whatever is weapons, with "whatever" seldom going above 4
the next slots after weapons are dedicated to pickaxe, hammer & axe or hamaxe, and then my fishing rod
anything left over is generally dedicated to storage; piggy banks, safes, or void bags

Mage here

1.Pickaxe/axe
2.damage weapons
3. support weapons
4. blocks if im spelunking early pre hm or hm

for torches I just click shift, any other items dont usually come to my hotbar unless they are situational, such as grand design or fishing rod

Last edited:
1-3 various weapons, 4-6 various building blocks, 7-0 torches, magic mirror, misc useful stuff.

Probably the weirdest thing about how I use the hotbar is I don’t store my pickaxe and axe there. Instead, they take up the first two slots of my inventory, and I use shift whenever I want to use them. I also use shift for torches, my main reason for keeping the hotbar is so I can see how many I have left at any given moment.

I also store my stars and gel in the ammo slot, even if I don’t have a weapon that uses them.

That’s pretty much all I can think of.

slot 1 - weapon
Slot 2 - 5: empty/weapon organised by damage
Slot 6 - health pots
Slot 7 - mana pots
Slot 8 - rod of discord
Slot 9 - cell phone/ magic mirror
Slot 10 - summon

Back
Top Bottom