How do YOU play the Summoner?

All classes are strict classes, otherwise people will spam Nimbus Rods and Rainbow Guns and call themselves Warriors/Rangers/Summoners.

Thank god, just what this thread needed: Pointless semantics.

It's really easy to use the rainbow gun and nimbus rod purely as crowd control measures if you're not a mage, by the way. Maybe you should've gone with any one of the dozens of magic weapons that are actually appropriate examples.

Thank god, just what this thread needed: Pointless semantics.

It's really easy to use the rainbow gun and nimbus rod purely as crowd control measures if you're not a mage, by the way. Maybe you should've gone with any one of the dozens of magic weapons that are actually appropriate examples.
What do you mean? Using Rainbow Gun and Nimbus Rod automatically disqualifies you if you are going for a 1-class non-mage challenge, which is the only place where 'class' really matters.

If you are using a magic weapon, you wouldn't be 'playing the summoner' anymore, would you? You would just be 'having a majority of summon weapons in your arsenal'.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Using Rainbow Gun and Nimbus Rod automatically disqualifies you if you are going for a 1-class non-mage challenge, which is the only place where 'class' really matters.

If you are using a magic weapon, you wouldn't be 'playing the summoner' anymore, would you? You would just be 'having a majority of summon weapons in your arsenal'.
I don't think we're talking about the challenges. We're talking about someone playing through the game using summoned minions as their main damage source.

I'm kind of the opposite. I mainly use other classes and have a couple minions out to add a little bit more damage. I like stardust cells and the phantasm personally. Because I use general damage bonuses I get a nice boost to the cells, the bow, and the solar eruption when crowds get too thick. Kind of a jack of all trades/master of none kind of thing. The only reason I haven't killed the moon lord a second time is that I don't want to go through the solar/nebula pillars again. (Plus I don't want to waste my fragments)

Unfortunately I have to disagree with this. If I wear Stardust armor, and three accessory slots are taken up by the Necromantic Scroll, Papyrus Scarab, and Pygmy Necklace, on top of having every summon staff in my inventory to fully customize my minion loadout, I'm pretty sure I'm a Summoner. Regardless if I decide to use my Last Prism, Death Sickle, or SDMG as a support weapon, I'm still a Summoner in my book.
Similarly, my Warrior used a couple of minions here and there, but that doesn't take away from his warrior status. Unless we're talking about challenge runs, which I was not.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with this. If I wear Stardust armor, and three accessory slots are taken up by the Necromantic Scroll, Papyrus Scarab, and Pygmy Necklace, on top of having every summon staff in my inventory to fully customize my minion loadout, I'm pretty sure I'm a Summoner. Regardless if I decide to use my Last Prism, Death Sickle, or SDMG as a support weapon, I'm still a Summoner in my book.
Similarly, my Warrior used a couple of minions here and there, but that doesn't take away from his warrior status. Unless we're talking about challenge runs, which I was not.

I don't think we're talking about the challenges. We're talking about someone playing through the game using summoned minions as their main damage source.

I'm kind of the opposite. I mainly use other classes and have a couple minions out to add a little bit more damage. I like stardust cells and the phantasm personally. Because I use general damage bonuses I get a nice boost to the cells, the bow, and the solar eruption when crowds get too thick. Kind of a jack of all trades/master of none kind of thing. The only reason I haven't killed the moon lord a second time is that I don't want to go through the solar/nebula pillars again. (Plus I don't want to waste my fragments)

If you aren't playing a challenge run, go ahead. Call yourself whatever you like. Summoner, Spellblade, Witch Doctor, it doesn't matter.

However, those terms don't mean anything by themselves, because of the nature of Terraria: you are a player, playing a character that can use anything. Unless you limit yourself, such terms don't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom