How do you spawn the Wyvern?

Kanoro

Terrarian
I've watched countless videos, read several guides and Wikis and I just can NOT get him to spawn. Here are all of the steps I've read and followed as far as full on video tutorials.
  • Be in hardmode
  • For large worlds, be at least 850 feet high. (Another said 1000 which I've also tried)
  • Be on a floating Island or a nearby platform.
  • "Be patient" which I've literally sat at spawns for 30+ minutes, multiple times, racking up tons of gold in the process from harpies.
  • Be at a place that spawns harpies.
  • Drink a battle potion
  • Don't be near player-built walls.
  • Don't spawn near friendly NPCs
  • At this point I'm totally stumped and if it's this difficult to spawn just ONE Wyvern, how the hell am I supposed to kill 30 of them to make wings? Or actually 60 because I'm playing with someone else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Anyway does anyone know how to spawn them? It just doesn't seem to be working for me. I've poured hours into this.

Be in hardmode
Be at a place that spawns harpies.
Basically following these two is enough to get them to spawn, they are rare mobs, so it might take a while for them to spawn.
At this point I'm totally stumped and if it's this difficult to spawn just ONE Wyvern, how the hell am I supposed to kill 30 of them to make wings? Or actually 60 because I'm playing with someone else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
They kinda drop more than one soul a Wyvern, each one drops 5-10/10-20 souls each time you kill them, depending on which mode you are in.

I think they also won't spawn if there's a town NPC nearby?

On some playthroughs, Wyverns appear to be very rare. Though the reason might be is, if you turn the house on the floating island into a house for an NPC (thus preventing Wyverns to spawn?)

The funny thing is they would most likely spawn at times when you don't want them to spawn, like when fighting one of the mech bosses on a sky bridge...

Seems like you're not doing anything wrong, so I'm kinda curious after your map.
It is based on luck, and there are times where 10+ minutes pass for me without a wyvern spawning, but those times are freakishly rare.

Seems like you're not doing anything wrong, so I'm kinda curious after your map.
It is based on luck, and there are times where 10+ minutes pass for me without a wyvern spawning, but those times are freakishly rare.
Yeah I was careful to follow all of the steps. I waited very long periods of time and I tried different floating islands, I built a sky platform with no walls, Also none of the Islands have beds in them. Just the normal chair/table that all floating islands have by default. I placed torches and campfires in a few of them though. And yeah I've camped spawns for over 30 mins on multiple occasions. I just can't figure out why they won't spawn.

If you put a torch (or any other light source) in a normal floating island house, they will be considered valid housing, because they nearly always have a table and a chair by default, right? Are you sure no town NPC moved in there?
Or does it disables wyverns spawning even if there's no town NPC living there but it's considered a valid housing? I'm not sure on this one, but maybe worth a try.

Perhaps try being in a slightly higher place? I've found that they're a bit rarer if you're at the very bottom of the space layer. You can use an Ice Rod to build things far away from solid blocks (and also fly infinitely)

If you put a torch (or any other light source) in a normal floating island house, they will be considered valid housing, because they nearly always have a table and a chair by default, right? Are you sure no town NPC moved in there?
Or does it disables wyverns spawning even if there's no town NPC living there but it's considered a valid housing? I'm not sure on this one, but maybe worth a try.
Ah makes sense. I always thought a house had to have in a bed in it to spawn NPCs. Upon testing this, it turns out that it did meet the criteria to spawn an NPC. However, none were living there. I destroyed the table and chairs so now none can spawn there (even if they were). I'll update you guys later if it works.

Ah makes sense. I always thought a house had to have in a bed in it to spawn NPCs. Upon testing this, it turns out that it did meet the criteria to spawn an NPC. However, none were living there. I destroyed the table and chairs so now none can spawn there (even if they were). I'll update you guys later if it works.
Well, early game, you can't even craft beds, since they require silk to make, which requires cobweb, which is difficult to get very early game, yet NPCs will move in just fine. They require a confort furniture (chairs, beds, etc. fulfil that requirement) and a flat surface furniture (tables, dressers, etc.), and a light source.

Anyway, curious if wyverns will spawn now, or still not.

Well, early game, you can't even craft beds, since they require silk to make, which requires cobweb, which is difficult to get very early game, yet NPCs will move in just fine. They require a confort furniture (chairs, beds, etc. fulfil that requirement) and a flat surface furniture (tables, dressers, etc.), and a light source.

Anyway, curious if wyverns will spawn now, or still not.
Update: Totally leveled the house, removed all artificial structures and objects both player and non-player made. The floating Island is at 980 feet. Drank a battle potion. Fought harpies nonstop, farmed bout 8 gold in the process. No Wyverns. Tried this on 3 separate occasions.

When ever I'm in space trying to farm Wyverns they always seen to arrive when I'm doing something, although it seems you're very unlucky.
Just to clarify, your world is definitely in hardmode right?

When ever I'm in space trying to farm Wyverns they always seen to arrive when I'm doing something, although it seems you're very unlucky.
Just to clarify, your world is definitely in hardmode right?
Yes. 100% in hardmode. Like we literally started in pre-hard mode and then made a new server after about 2 week specifically to do hardmode in order to farm Wyverns and make wings. I've tried spawning them in space and at floating cloud level btw.

I think you need to make a brand new world. What version do you have? That might be the problem.
I guess I'll open up a new world and built straight to the sky and try my luck. Will update later. Thanks for all the help guys. Very pleasant community here. I'm so used to trolls and/or unhelpful responses in forums.

Back
Top Bottom