How does NPC respawning work? My angler refuses to come back

MasterworkStone

Duke Fishron
I have been waiting hours for my Angler to resapawn, every day at 4:30am I sit and pray he respawns, but my prayers are not answered.
All my other NPCs are present and in housing

Before you ask, yes I have viable housing for him, yes it's still viable I checked, and no it is not close to any corruption/crimson.

is the Angler's respawn schedule random? I'm playing in multiplayer with no one else for the sake of alt tabbing without pausing

Last edited:
He appears normally in my world. I think you have just bad luck. He also has normal spawning requirements.

I know you said respawn, but have you actually talked/saved him from the beach?

Other than that, make sure there's no ongoing event in your world(invasions or the like).

I know you said respawn, but have you actually talked/saved him from the beach?

Other than that, make sure there's no ongoing event in your world(invasions or the like).
Yes I have talked to him on the beach, he has been living in my house.

Do martian probes just floating around count as an event? Because he's not coming on days there isn't an event that I can see

Is it possible that he's there and living in a house far away that you're not noticing? If you've put a torch in a living tree base or in a floating island that will make it a house and people start moving in there. Check your housing menu and see if maybe he's already there and check the map zoomed out for his face somewhere.

The regular Martian probes that scan you are not an event in itself. But if one scanned you and you see floating UFOs in the background then you need to get rid of the Martians before any NPC respawns.

Is it possible that he's there and living in a house far away that you're not noticing? If you've put a torch in a living tree base or in a floating island that will make it a house and people start moving in there. Check your housing menu and see if maybe he's already there and check the map zoomed out for his face somewhere.

It wasn't possible for two reasons
1) He wasn't in the NPC roster
2) I left the game open for a few hours and went AFK, when I returned he was in a house nearby

For whatever reason, the Angler wasn't behaving correctly when he respawns, and I have absolutely no idea why.
Again, I've been playing multiplayer for the sake of no pausing, I made a copy of my world and tested it in singleplayer and he respawned the next day. I don't know if this a problem related to multiplayer or if I just had the absolute worst luck in the world.
If anyone wants to test this on their own, please do

I'm glad you got him back. Interesting that single and multiplayer had such different timetables on him returning.

Im suffering from the same problem.
He went into the ocean, next thing you know I see his hat floating above the water with a bite taken out of it.
So im waiting around for the bugger. And i do have platforms across the ocean I live at. Will that stop him from spawning?

Im suffering from the same problem.
He went into the ocean, next thing you know I see his hat floating above the water with a bite taken out of it.
So im waiting around for the bugger. And i do have platforms across the ocean I live at. Will that stop him from spawning?
No worries on having platforms above your ocean, that won't stop him from re spawning. How many in-game days has he been missing? And make sure you don't have goblins, Pirates, Martians, pillars going on.

About 14. Now 15.
[doublepost=1465995700,1465995641][/doublepost]Oooooooh. I do have the stardust pillar up. Its the one thats keeping moon lord away. :p

Back
Top Bottom