How Long is a Terrarian year?

Sadly it's not very possible to calculate it without the time spent on the title screen. So all we have to resort to is using our steam time lel.

I have to admit I did spend quite a bit of my steam time just chilling on the title screen tho.

Sadly it's not very possible to calculate it without the time spent on the title screen. So all we have to resort to is using our steam time lel.

I have to admit I did spend quite a bit of my steam time just chilling on the title screen tho.
I did too, or doing something else while leaving it paused, or that one time where I forgot to turn it off for like a day.

The thread is mainly dependent in the process of assuming in order to make a fun thread, hence the disclaimer at the top of the OP.

'Sides, if you want to talk about it realistically, Terraria worlds aren't proven to revolve around the parent Sun, therefore the existence of a 'year' is merely theoretical.

But that wouldn't be worth making a thread, nor fun now, wouldn't it?

Actually, scrap this. Thinking about it, I feel it is possible.

Initially, it feels like it cannot be proven, given we have no idea about the distance from the Terrarian World to the Parent Star, the distance from the Terrarian World to the Moon, the rotation speed of the Moon, the rotation speed of the Terrarian World, and the revolution speed of the Terrarian world and the Moon.

That said, we were forced to stick to assumption. And there are quite a few assumptions that are possible apart from what is shown in the OP, such as:

Lunar Phase relative to the year: 1 year = 365.242 days, while a Lunar Phase happens on an average of 7.38 days. That means there are 49.49 lunar phases per year. Given how 1 lunar phase = 1 day in Terraria terms, it takes 49.49 Terrarian days to make a year, or 19.8 hours of real time. [(49.49 Terrarian days * 24 IRLminutes)/60 IRLhours]

Days relative to the year: simple. 1 year = 365 days, not really fun.

That's not really all. There's a lot more assumptions, but I couldn't bother to do them all.

But let's get real here.

Looking at the Parent Star and Moon, notice how they are always complete opposites from each other? Wait hours and hours just staring at them, and I can assure you, they are always on the opposite sides. This suggests two theories, A) The Terrarian World simply rotates from a single point, and it does not revolve around the parent star, therefore making a 'year' nonexistent, and neither does the moon revolve around the Terrarian World, or B) The Terrarian's known system is geocentric, where the Parent Star and the Moon revolve around the Terrarian World at equal relative speed, always at polar opposites.

Both sound quite plausible, but at night, stars stay still as the moon passes by. What would that mean? Simple, if theory A were true, then the stars should rotate along with the Moon as they are after all distant from the World. However, this works rather well with theory B as B explains that the Terrarian World does not revolve nor rotate. Only the Parent Star and the Moon does.

So what does this mean? It means that, it takes 1 day for the Star to revolve around the Terrarian World which, relatively speaking, also means that it takes 1 day for the Terrarian World to 'revolve' around the Parent Star, equating into 1 whole year.

So 1 Terrarian Year = 1 Terrarian Day, or 24 IRLminutes.

But Suweeka, the moon has phases!
Correct, but that's unrelated to the revolution of a planet around its star. If any, the best explanation for this that I know of would be that the Moon is actually a Semi-circle; one side is an unlit missing chunk of the circle forever blocked from the Star by the World's umbra, while the other side is a faintly Glowing dome. It rotates on its own, slightly faster than its rotation, making an illusion that it has phases. When in reality, the dark side of the moon is actually what you see as the missing side.

But Suweeka, there are solar eclipses!
The fact that a solar eclipse on a star that is rising from the west can happen as soon as the moon sets on the east pretty much implies that the Solar Eclipse isn't caused by the Moon blocking the Star, but something else. -cue X-files intro music-

Buuuut yeah, that's my take on this. This isn't to say that OP is wrong or misleading. It's more than possible that what I said can be more inaccurate than the most assumptive of theories. Stuff like this just interest me to look into deeper.

Credits to W1K for someone to share conspiracies with

Last edited:

This would make the time I spent in Terraria more than 200,000 years.
Suweeka...
th

I saw his before I saw yours.. :<
At least you're honest...

Edit: Over 200,000 years? More like 250,635 Terrarian Years.
Edit Again: Got my math wrong, changed it.

Let's just shorten Terrarian Years to TerraYears

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom