How Teleporters *should* work (As opposed to how they DO work)

AlexanderStarship

Steampunker
I think there is a much smarter way for Teleporters to function, as opposed to how they do function, that many other games have used for a long time. I don't know about you, but on my worlds I usually set up a place as a teleporter hub, with teleporters to whisk you away to farms, boss arena's, the underworld ect for various reasons. The rooms are usually long/big, housing multiple teleporter pads and a jumbled mess of criss-crossing different colored wires that form a lattice pattern and generally just look tacky. Not to mention the wires run for MILES in all directions, sometimes accidentally passing through lights, doors, statues and other things accidentally activated when you use the teleporter. Laying wire by hand, over long distances is a pain. Having to wire around obstacles like lights and doors I mentioned above is also another pain (especially on big complex maps with lots of various machines). Even laying wire over vast distances in TEdit is tedious and again, a pain.

Imagine: If Teleporters had CHANNELS you could select from, and thus NO need for wires AT ALL.
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Epsilon, Tango ect up to Zulu. You place a pad, assign it a channel, go to the pad where you want it to lead, and set the matching channel. Alpha takes you to Alpha ect. This gets rid of ALL the wiring headaches and problems, and would also allow for much SMALLER hubs. One pad could lead to ALL your farms and arenas, all you have to do is change the channel of the pad in the hub and hit the button. No need for miles of wire, criss-crossing wire colors with junction boxes and all that jazz, no need to wire around obstacles over vast distances ect. Once set you could even check a box to allow player to change channel on/off for adventure maps.

What you guys think?

Man I'd love it if teleporters worked this way. I don't want to completely remove the need for wiring for teleporters but it would be cool if there was a new type of teleporter item that does what you described. That said, I'd really like a teleporter that's just 2 blocks wide (for when I make fake doors that lead to a different place in the map.

First of all, there's suggestions sub-forums.
Second, are you suggesting this as replacement for how teleporters currently work, or as an addition?
How would multiple(3+) teleporters on same channel work?
Why even do it with teleporters, just ask for wormhole potions in single player and some placeable 'beacon' thing to click on the map to teleport to.
edit: Will/should teleporter that was activated wirelessly send a pulse on the wires connected to it?

Last edited:
i like the idea as well maybe use a box that has a changeable name like what modded minecraft has with its flux network it has a box that has named networks and it use plugs and receivers for sending and receiving power but in this case it can be named teleporter networks but i might be over complicating things

First of all, there's suggestions sub-forums.
Second, are you suggesting this as replacement for how teleporters currently work, or as an addition?
How would multiple(3+) teleporters on same channel work?
Why even do it with teleporters, just ask for wormhole potions in single player and some placeable 'beacon' thing to click on the map to teleport to.
edit: Will/should teleporter that was activated wirelessly send a pulse on the wires connected to it?

I forgot about suggestions thread. I'll ask someone to move this there shortly. Or to simply close this and I'll start another thread there.

How do 3+ teleporters on the same wire operate now?

Hadn't thought about the wireless tele's sending pulses on wires connected to them. Someone crafty could probably make very nifty machines that use that, teleporting a dummy around, tripping various repeaters or nodes but I can't think of anything that could be made this way, that people haven't already made.

I like the idea of wireless teleport pads. It would be an interesting addition, but would be pretty game-changing. It should only be obtainable some time after the default teleporters become available to the player, with a complex/expensive recipe to balance the cost of not needing wire. However, there will always be a limitation to their usage. If you were to use a channel system the way you suggested (Channel Alpha, Channel Bravo, Channel Charlie etc.), what would happen when all channels were used? I think a 3 digit identifier could work to an extent, but someone will reach the limit for combinations.

Using a custom name for each pad will greatly expand the amount of available channels, but might need more memory to store. Each pad would need a tag containing the channel name, and a script telling it to search for another pad with the same tag when it receives an input. When 3 or more pads are on the same channel, each would need a tag telling it what order it is on the list of the channel, as well as two inputs, one to teleport to the item above it on the list, the other to teleport it to the item below it on the list.

It is an interesting concept, but could be difficult to create in practice, although I believe it could be possible.

Telepad forum idea.png

This could even be a possible texture (I like the idea of the pad being 2 tiles wide, as suggested by CheesyPaninie)

Last edited:
How do 3+ teleporters on the same wire operate now?
Currently when a wire gets tripped, the teleporter closest to the trip source gets connected to the furthest teleporter along the wire. So you'd need something totally different for wireless. The simplest solution would be to just rotate between all the connected teleporters, in the order they were placed.

I think a 3 digit identifier could work to an extent, but someone will reach the limit for combinations.
At that point I would just say tough luck. :) Who in their mind would use 2000+ teleporters in the same world?

I also really like the idea of using gems to configure teleporters, which was mentioned here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wireless-teleporters.1306/

It is an interesting concept, but could be difficult to create in practice, although I believe it could be possible.
Challenge excepted. Well, let's figure out how these things should work first. Then I'll make the mod.

BTW, there is a wireless wireing mod, which can be use to link up teleporters too. https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wireless.48915/

Challenge excepted. Well, let's figure out how these things should work first.
Already made a texture, think it would fit? As for the technical side, each teleporter needs a channel ID. When triggered, the pad should get it's channel and test for any other pads with it, before using the default script to send them to the target pad.

When 3 or more pads are on the same channel, each would need a tag telling it what order it is on the list of the channel, as well as two inputs, one to teleport to the item above it on the list, the other to teleport it to the item below it on the list.
This could work for the three pad issue, but will be more complex to implement, as the pad would most likely need to be two separate tiles, to allow for different inputs

It would also need a custom GUI for inputting the channel. Let me know if anything else is required, and hoping to see this built.
Telepad forum idea.png

Already made a texture, think it would fit? As for the technical side, each teleporter needs a channel ID. When triggered, the pad should get it's channel and test for any other pads with it, before using the default script to send them to the target pad.

This could work for the three pad issue, but will be more complex to implement, as the pad would most likely need to be two separate tiles, to allow for different inputs

It would also need a custom GUI for inputting the channel. Let me know if anything else is required, and hoping to see this built.View attachment 182415
Sure, that picture will do for the item.
There is no real need for looking up connected teleporters every time, we could just have a doubly linked list type of setup. I think I can handle the code side of things myself, I mean this is not exactly rocket surgery...
If we used the gem idea for the combination, there would be no real need for a GUI, maybe only for reordering the teleporters. I'd rather not have a GUI though, I think it's nicer to keep things simple. On the other hand, there should be an easier way to reorder things, other then breaking the teleporters.
So, there are still a few things to think about.

Sounds good, but what do you mean by gem combination? would it work by R-clicking 3 different gems onto the pad to set the channel? One more thing we need is a way to obtain it. I suggest either making the steampunk sell them, or make them craftable. if the latter, I think the recipe should require souls of some sort, or some other tough item to balance it in the game. Obviously the recipe should include a teleporter, and some wires.
Anything else we need?

Sounds good, but what do you mean by gem combination? would it work by R-clicking 3 different gems onto the pad to set the channel? One more thing we need is a way to obtain it. I suggest either making the steampunk sell them, or make them craftable. if the latter, I think the recipe should require souls of some sort, or some other tough item to balance it in the game. Obviously the recipe should include a teleporter, and some wires.
Anything else we need?
Yes, the gems would work by right clicking on the teleporter, kinda like with an item frame. I am right now working on a firs draft of the mod. We'll still need a proper texture for the tile. For now I am using placeholders.

Back
Top Bottom