How to Defeat the Brain of Cthulhu

FiendishCatz

Eye of Cthulhu
Man, I'm finally making another guide!
Sorry I stopped making guides for so long. I'll hopefully get back into making them.
And sorry for giving the people with a Corruption world the Eater of Worlds guide but leaving you Crimson people hanging.
Anyway, let's go!

Crimson-Only
This boss is only avalible in Crimson worlds. If you have a Corruption world, you'll want to fight the Eater of Worlds instead.

Don't try to do a quiz against the Brain of Cthulhu. That's a big brain. What's a big brain? This is a big brain...
Brain_of_Cthulhu.png

Woooooah... And even weirder, apparently Cthulhu's heart is in his brain!
Brain_of_Cthulhu-2nd.png

Okay, okay... this is getting really creepy... let's just get into the good stuffz!
Brain of Cthulhu (First Form)
Brain_of_Cthulhu.png

Type: Boss
Health: 1000 (1700 in Expert Mode) (3000-4000 without Creepers) (5700-7700 in Expert Mode without Creepers)
Damage: 30
Defense: IMMUNE
Knockback Resistance: IT'S IMMUNE TO DAMAGE

Brain of Cthulhu (Second Form)
Brain_of_Cthulhu-2nd.png

Type: Boss
Health: 1000 (1700 on Expert Mode)
Damage: 30
Defense: 14
Knockback Resistance: 100%

Creepers (Minion)
Creeper.png

Type: Servant
Health: 100 (200 on Expert Mode)
Damage: 20 (40 in Expert Mode)
Defense: 10
Knockback Resistance: 20% (28% in Expert Mode)
Summoning the Brain of Cthulhu is a difficult job if you haven't already defeated it.
Your first (and probably easiest) path to take at this moment in the game would probably be to craft a Bloody Spine
Bloody_Spine.png
with 15 Vertebrae
Vertebrae.png
(and 30 Vicious Powder if you're on PC
Vicious_Powder.png
) at a Crimson Altar. Then use that in the Crimson at day or night and it will somehow attract the Brain of Cthulhu. Nobody knows why. I can't even think of a theory for it. Maybe it thinks it's a sausage and it tries to eat it but then a Harpy shoots it with a feather and it thinks you did it so it takes the sausage-spine and attacks you. Yes, I know...

You could also go another path and try to find some Crimson Hearts and smash three of those. On the third one the Brain of Cthulhu will emerge! BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaah, okay. Okay.
Smashing the Hearts can be a big problem early game, as they are usually buried in Crimstone, which is impossible to mine without a Deathbringer Pickaxe or higher. Funny, because you actually need to kill the Brain to get the Deathbringer Pickaxe... but you can use Dynamite to blast through it or, if you've killed the Eye of Cthulhu, you can buy Purification Powder from the Dryad and use that to purify the Crimstone so you can mine through it.
Also, if you're brave, you can summon the Brain via Bloody Spine and just kill some Creepers, you don't have to kill the boss itself. The Creepers drop some Tissue Samples and Crimtane, which are the materials to make it.
If possible, the Blade of Grass will probably be your best choice. You can also use the Blood Butcherer or a Katana, due to their fast speed and high damage, and obtainability in early game. As of spears, the best choice is a Rotted Fork (you can get this from smashing Crimson Hearts) or you can just use a Trident or a normal Spear if you want. A Flail is a great weapon for taking down the Creepers, you could use the Ball O' Hurt if you have another Corrupt world, if not try to get the Chain Knife, which is a rare drop from Cave Bats. Other flails should work too.
A Bow will help you, try to get Jester Arrows or better if you can. They will also help with their piercing ability, helping you with those CREEPERS! Try the Gold/Platinum Bow, or the Tendon Bow from the Eye of Cthulhu. These have high damage, and along with the arrows you use, they will do even more. Whoopee! For Gun lovers, you can pick up the Undertaker from Crimson Hearts, but guns are hard to acquire early-game, so you're best off with a Bow. The Musket Balls that come with the Undertaker will do, but you can also craft Silver Bullets or, if a mateor has landed, try Meteor Shots!
Try to get at least 100 mana (4 Mana Crystals) and some Lesser (or normal) Mana Potions. If you can get them, the Water Bolt and the Crimson Rod will help greatly, especially in confined spaces. You can also go old-school and craft a Staff, preferably Emerald or Diamond. If you're strong, you might get the Medusa Head which can kill all the Creepers in about 3 shots. However, it's very hard to obtain - it's a 1% drop chance from Medusa, a VERY powerful enemy.
Summoners will have to temporarily switch classes to fight this, as there are not many summoner weapons you can get early game. Your best choice is the Hornet Staff, which you can craft from Bee Wax dropped by the Queen Bee, or if you're lucky you can use the Slime Staff, but it's a 1 in 10000 drop chance, so...
More coming soon, sorry.

I really like this guide, but in the equipment by magic you say 'maybe you can get an Medusa head' But it can't anymore because A medusa is now an Hardmode enemy while the brain of Cthulhu is from Pre-hardmode. But it can be still obtainable if you have somewhere an Hardmode world.
But, an Great guide, You just need to change one thing if you are about to edit it.

Last edited:
Also, if you're in expert mode, the brain will cause illusions to attack you, only one of them is the real one, use auto pause with the inventory menu then hover over the brains, only the real one will have the health count. Once it disappears, wait til it comes back then repeat it til it's dead.

Also, if you're in expert mode, the brain will cause illusions to attack you, only one of them is the real one, use auto pause with the inventory menu then hover over the brains, only the real one will have the health count. Once it disappears, wait til it comes back then repeat it til it's dead.
I always just used the transparency, but that sounds like a good waym

Back
Top Bottom