PC How to get meteorite armour pre-EoW, (or even pre-any boss if you're lucky)

Meteorite bars can appear in chests in the bottom 250 blocks of the world. Most of these chests will be shadow chests, so I recommend beating skeletron first. However, if you're lucky and a bit patient, you can get some meteorite without beating skeletron.
So there you have it, meteorite armour pre-EoW.

What I like to do is smash a shadow orb or two (not three) and then collect all the meteorite ore from a crash site with sticky bombs. If I don't have enough ore for a full set of arrmour, then it is easy to smash some more orbs (let the EoW kill you, it's fine) and then get more meteorite ore until I have enough.
So there you have it, meteorite armour (and a space gun) pre any boss.
(this is what I did on my first PC playthrough)

What I like to do is smash a shadow orb or two (not three) and then collect all the meteorite ore from a crash site with sticky bombs. If I don't have enough ore for a full set of arrmour, then it is easy to smash some more orbs (let the EoW kill you, it's fine) and then get more meteorite ore until I have enough.
So there you have it, meteorite armour (and a space gun) pre any boss.
(this is what I did on my first PC playthrough)
Now meteorites only land after killing the EoW/EoC, and cannot be destroyed by bombs.

Lol XD I think the only chest that sometimes indeed contains meteorite bars is shadow chests, which are always locked. and you wouldn't have the keys pre-skeletron. shadow key is in locked gold chests in the dungeon. while normal chests sometimes generate in the dungeon above 0 depth, and those might contain a gold key, I don't think you could find a locked gold chest above 0 depth.

I think there is a thin line, like... between 0 depth and -3 or -4 or so, where a dungeon guardian not spawn yet, but dungeon music plays, so it might be the dungeon biome, but that depth is usually still just the long zig-zag corridor leading to the deeper parts, there are usually no chests there, just below. and it would be likely awfully difficult to make a lake there to fish for dungeon crates (it's also possible they not show up prior to defeating skeletron or something?)

so, hiiiiiighly unlikely you could get a shadow key pre skeltron, thus, highly unlikely you could open a shadow chest in hell.
And, if you actually can defeat skeletron, and survive in hell, you most likely would have no problems tackling EoW or BoC, making aquiring meteor much easier.

This could work maybe for a strategy though where EoW/BoC is ignored for the sake of having no meteors fall, ruining the landscape here and there, but you still can aquire meteor. However I'm not quite sure how useful that is so late in pre-hardmode (I mean, post skeletron). but, yes, I guess in that regards it makes some sense.
But otherwise it sounds quite impractical.

(it was easy to aquire meteorite early game before 1.4 though. but the change is good for balance reasons.)

Now meteorite is obsolete before you can even get it pretty much. They don't drop before beating Brain/EOW. By the time you can beat those two it's not worth it to mine it up since bombs don't work it'd take a long time.

I just skip on over meteors now. Don't even bother digging them up. No point.

Now meteorite is obsolete before you can even get it pretty much. They don't drop before beating Brain/EOW. By the time you can beat those two it's not worth it to mine it up since bombs don't work it'd take a long time.

A hamaxe is still pretty handy though to merge two tools in one.

But I thought too, I won't mine more meteorite this playthrough. But... that first meteorite landed at the crimson right next to the jungle. and I was doing some works there trying to set up a mushroom biome to create a barrier for later (which in the end didn't work, because I missed one area XD) but, point being, after killing the 750th meteor head, I got a bit frustrated about them spawning in crazy numbers, so I mined out that whole crash site XD later got 2 more meteorites too, but in less annoying places. (one actually hit the top of a living tree... XD)

(which in the end didn't work, because I missed one area XD) but, point being, after killing the 750th meteor head, I got a bit frustrated about them spawning in crazy numbers, so I mined out that whole crash site XD later got 2 more meteorites too, but in less annoying places. (one actually hit the top of a living tree... XD)
Apparently i noticed that in this 1.4 you must leave a meteorite biome with their creatures spawning somewhere in your world for the meteorites to stop falling, although you can still see the animation of the meteorite falling in the background, but still the message and another meteorite in your world will not appear, the meteorites appear now without having to destroy a Crimson Hearts, just defeating the brain of cthulhu is enough, you can correct me if I'm wrong.

EDITED:
hmm... yes, I'm partly right, they already updated the page on the wiki:

Last edited:

???

Even on Master, EoW is almost a gimmee with the Demon Bow and Jester Arrows. The Brain isn't as easy, or at least I haven't figured out the trick yet. The only real variable is how long it takes to find the hearts. The Space Gun is a lot better against Skeletron than Molten Fury. Seems to me, anyway. I find Meteor Shot very useful in the Dungeon, too.

My favorite unfavorite topic. Previously, and this most likely is a reason for the change is that people like me would never break orbs/hearts and go straight for Shark Reaver. This serves two purposes:

1 - Meteors don't fall = Yeah they were cool the first few playthroughs but after that it became a chore. Strategically placing chests so meteors don't fall on special structures, i.e. Pyramids, Living Trees, Dungeon, Ocean, etc, etc. The armor is ok not necessary and the Space Gun I find to be more of a toy once you play Expert mode. The Hamaxe has a Hellstone variant so is only useful for a short time. I do like the deco that comes from meteorite ore though. I can do without.

2 - It controls Goblin and Pirate spawns. These only happen when initiated by the player which in my opinion is how it should be. Why? Check this out:

Let's say I'm a Ranger type and beat the Wall of Flesh. Quite common with the RNG is at times it can take up to 10 times beating him to get a particular emblem. Well, by that time an invasion creeps along while you are 3000+ blocks down from the surface. Guide won't respawn until the invasion has been handled. Goblins/Pirates never disappear on their own and are the only two like this.

So, guess I have to drop what I am doing to head to the surface because NPCs are incompetent when it comes to combat. Now by this time you should have already beaten the invasion so it's not too bad. I wouldn't so much say the summoner so much as his summons. Don't die. Just don't. The summons remain and will home in on you after resurrection (going through walls) so you'd be lucky to reequip your gear and heal up with potions before they get close. Had one time where those summons alone kept killing me for over an hour because I got ganged the second I was resurrected.

Exploit fixed in 1.4? Hardly. I call it more like bad design to compensate for bad design. During the earlier versions of 1.4 I found a way around this but they fixed that one too. It's ok. I've got another way! ;)

Throughout the years there has been many quality of life changes and they do seem to care about this stuff. Except this particular one has been neglected, and I believe intentionally, for quite some time. I find it difficult to see any aspect of enjoyable gaming with having to do chore work like what was mentioned above.

Lol XD I think the only chest that sometimes indeed contains meteorite bars is shadow chests, which are always locked. and you wouldn't have the keys pre-skeletron. shadow key is in locked gold chests in the dungeon. while normal chests sometimes generate in the dungeon above 0 depth, and those might contain a gold key, I don't think you could find a locked gold chest above 0 depth.

I think there is a thin line, like... between 0 depth and -3 or -4 or so, where a dungeon guardian not spawn yet, but dungeon music plays, so it might be the dungeon biome, but that depth is usually still just the long zig-zag corridor leading to the deeper parts, there are usually no chests there, just below. and it would be likely awfully difficult to make a lake there to fish for dungeon crates (it's also possible they not show up prior to defeating skeletron or something?)

so, hiiiiiighly unlikely you could get a shadow key pre skeltron, thus, highly unlikely you could open a shadow chest in hell.
And, if you actually can defeat skeletron, and survive in hell, you most likely would have no problems tackling EoW or BoC, making aquiring meteor much easier.

This could work maybe for a strategy though where EoW/BoC is ignored for the sake of having no meteors fall, ruining the landscape here and there, but you still can aquire meteor. However I'm not quite sure how useful that is so late in pre-hardmode (I mean, post skeletron). but, yes, I guess in that regards it makes some sense.
But otherwise it sounds quite impractical.

(it was easy to aquire meteorite early game before 1.4 though. but the change is good for balance reasons.)
Actually you can very rarely get Meteorite bars in golden chests if they generate close enough to the underworld within the zone with the old 1.1 underworld background as chests at that depth use the same secondary loot pool as underworld chests

It is possible in the 05162020 seed, the dungeon monsters spawns above the height the Guardian spawns, and it is possible to obtain gold key from them and then obtain the shadow key through fishing.

It is possible in the 05162020 seed, the dungeon monsters spawns above the height the Guardian spawns, and it is possible to obtain gold key from them and then obtain the shadow key through fishing.
Well, on that one seed, maybe. it is plausible. but besides that seed, not really.

Back
Top Bottom