PC How to join people via Steam

_vulpes

Skeletron Prime
I cannot keep up with how many people keep asking me how to join servers via Steam. Now, if someone asks, hopefully, they see this thread. If not, please redirect them to this thread.

If you are hosting;
Open Terraria > Multiplayer > Host and Play > Make a World > Go To Steam Chat > Click the Arrow pointing downwards > Click Invite To Game

If you are not hosting, but joining;
Open Terraria > Wait for the host to send you a invite > Accept It

If you are hosting a dedicated server (Terraria MUST be running first):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Terraria\start-server-steam-friends.bat > Start Server

I cannot stress enough how easy this actually is, and you should praise the developers for this.

Last edited:
What if we want to use an already existing world? Many people are trying to use a pre-existing world and get stuck at the "Found Server" screen.

If you are hosting a dedicated server (Terraria MUST be running first):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Terraria\start-server-steam-friends.bat > Start Server

Registered to say: this does not work for me.

I have Terraria running through Steam, and am running the server batch file on the command line. All I get when I run the batch file is a repeating cycle of an alert box reading "Please launch the game from your Steam client", and a line in the command line window saying "Restarting server...".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Registered to say: this does not work for me.

I have Terraria running through Steam, and am running the server batch file on the command line. All I get when I run the batch file is a repeating cycle of an alert box reading "Please launch the game from your Steam client", and a line in the command line window saying "Restarting server...".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
That's a bug, try launching it via Steam, not as a desktop icon. Other than that, it's probably a bug. I've been waiting for a patch for multiplayer, as well as a lot of players.

That's a bug, try launching it via Steam, not as a desktop icon. Other than that, it's probably a bug. I've been waiting for a patch for multiplayer, as well as a lot of players.
If you mean launching Terraria via my games library in Steam, that's what I was doing above - launching the game there, then running start-server-steam-friends.bat from the command line. No success. I've also just tried running the server itself through Steam by adding a shortcut to the TerrariaServer.exe file to my games library (aka as a "non-steam game") and running with the -steam flag. No dice there either, just shows that alert dialog and then exits. Couldn't set one up for the .bat file, as Steam's dialog only seems to recognise .exe files.

Most likely a bug, but don't quote me on that. A lot of people are waiting for the new patch to fix Multiplayer lag, and issues.

Back
Top Bottom