How to kill Moon Lord?!

If you just want to win and don't care about "fighting" it because you intend on farming its drops:

Plan A:
- Bring a friend

If A is unavailable, B is effective as well.

Plan B:
- Stack defense. Full warding and Beetle. If you want to be really disrespectful in normal mode, go grab a Worm Scarf.
- Use potions. The more the better. Your baseline should be LIfeforce, Ironskin, Endurance, and Regeneration. After that, you want Wrath, Rage, and Heartreach.
- Build something like this, minus the Boulder. That was a science experiment. REGARDLESS. As many Heart Statues as you can get. If you don't have seven, it'll probably be fine.
- Hit it with a Yoyo until it dies.

Don't kill one eye then move on to the next, nearly kill one then move on. This saves on damage taken in the second phase when you need to hit the core. Not having the other True Eyes beating on you while hitting the unbroken eyes is a lot easier on your resources, especially if you don't have seven Heart Statues.

You could also look up one of the many youtube resources on easily farming Moon Man, but they'll tell you similar things to what was said here.

I've been kiting him across the world in a mechanical Minecart, firing Chlorophyte Bullets back into his eyes until he dies. If you do this, I recommend a rifle or sniper scope so you can see the boss better. Try to avoid shooting at him when his eyes are closed.

I've been sitting in a box full of honey and regen items furniture/potions and farming the bastard with the Solar Eruption.

The following refers to fighting him solo (on normal difficulty as a mage).
  • A UFO mount/Cute fishron + rod of discord allow you to outmanouver him quite well.
  • He will not despawn until he kills you or you kill him. Use this to your advantage and set the spawn near the nurse to teleport back to when you're on low health.
  • Use the solar pillar drops to craft end game weapons to beat him (I personally like the nebula blaze+stardust dragon minion+stardust cell minion + Razor blade typhoon from Duke Fishron).
  • Buffs (Armoured/Iron Skin/Clairvoyance/bewitched/regen/well fed/mana regen/life force/Magic power/ammo box)
  • The moonlord is immune to almost all debuffs (including ichor).
  • Moonbite debuff renders healing ineffective (if you're playing mage consider swapping out the hood for the mask when afflicted).
Here's a video, demonstrating part of the above strategy

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
Killing the Moon Dood is easy. All you need to do is reduce the HP of all its segments to 0.

It's staying alive that's the tricky bit. :)

If you're a Summoner, try using the longest Stardust Dragon you can to inflict very heavy damage. Leaving the Dragon to attack lets you focus on avoidance. And you can utilise a Solar Eruption or similar to attack through walls or Vampire Knives to sneak in a bit of healing (Moon Bite debuff notwithstanding.)

Playing with a second player can also be really helpful. The second player can also summon as much Stardust Dragon segments as they can to build up damage. If one of you die, the other needs to stay alive long enough for the first to respawn. The Moon Dood only leaves if there are no players let alive. Note that you don't actually need a real-life second player, per se. If you have two computers, this can still work for multiplayer. Put one character in a small box with Honey, a Campfire and a Heart Lantern, buff up their defence and summon a Stardust Dragon. That idle player is then attacking the Moon Dood by way of its summons. And if your main character dies, the idle player need simply stay alive long enough for you to respawn. Or vice versa, depending on which character the Moon Dood dislikes more.

Don't forget the placeable buff items - Sharpening Station, Ammo Box, Crystal Ball and Bewitching Table. Any character can make use of the Bewitching Table so that even a fully melee player can use it to make a two segment Stardust Dragon.

Edit: And if all else fails and you're desperate... turn on autopause and stay near the Nurse. Buy healing as required.

Asphalt roads from one end of the world to the other. Possessed hatchet also felt like an amazing weapon to me since you could just ignore aiming and just focus on dodging while hitting with every attack.

Use an UFO or Cute Fishron mount to fly around and avoid his attacks (especially the giant laser). Use a Solar Eruption or Vortex Beater with chlorophyte bullets to attack his segments. Homing weapons do well against this boss, but you need mana for magic stuff (Nebula Blaze, Razorblade Typhoon, Nebula Arcanum, etc.). Phantasm/Tsunami with Holy Arrows may be also good weapons. If you play on Expert Mode, I suggest creating an auto-farm (Stardust Dragon + The Horseman's Blade can wreck this boss if used with a good auto-farm).

Oh, and the dragon is also a great minion for this boss. It can deal severe damage without much effort. If you're a summoner, create a very long dragon and use it to destroy the Moon Lord. You'll only need to dodge his attacks. The dragon can easily defeat ML.

If you are summoner then a rod of discord can be very useful against it's homming and laser attacks.
It would be useful for all classes but specially for summoners

My way of killing Moon Lord proved very efficient and quick. Follow those steps and you will be grand:

Step 1t: Build arena on the surface that will provide you with a cover from Moon Lord's beam (other words he will fry your but with it)

Step 2: After your arena is built, place Camp Fires everywhere where you can, and hang Heart Lanterns too. They will Provide at least some
life regeneration (not much wit Moon Lords dmg, but always better than nothing)

Step 3: Build a house right next to the arena and assign it to the Nurse. While fighting Moon Lord she is more than useful to have around.

Step 4: When defeated all four Celestial Towers, craft yourself Vortex Beater and get Goblin Tinkerer to apply Unreal mod to it. Make sure to have
max amount of chlorophyte bullets as they seek target by themselves which is handy to keep an eye on your HP.

Step 5: Potions that will make this fight A LOT easier are: Thorns Potion, Swiftness Potion, Summoning Potion, Shine Potion, Regeneration Potion,
Night Owl Potion, Ironskin Potion, Inferno Potion, Hunter Potion, Heartreach Potion, Endurance Potion, Calming Potion, and Ammo Reservation Potion.

Step 6: Try to obtain Crystal Ball (Bought from Wizard), Bewitching Table (found in Dungeon, I think... I got it a while ago), Ammo box (no clue on
where I got it) and Sharpening Station (fund in underground Cabins). Place them near the arena so you can use the buff time to its maximum.

Step 7: Accessories that will certainly help are: any kind of wings, Ankh Shield, Star Veil, Yoyo Bag, Frostspark Boots (or any other superfast running boots)

Step 8: Most important - Weapons. Well I always say that its never bad to have too many weapons. I'm running around with Terra Blade (Legendary
mod), Day Break(Godly mod), Vortex Beater(Unreal mod), The Eye of Cthulhu(Godly mod), Stardust Cell Staff(Mythical mod, but Ruthless mod is better) and
Rainbow Crystal Staff(you only get it if you kill Moon Lord and it only has 11.11% drop chance).

Step 9: Personally I found Chlorophyte Armor set best for the fight due to extra fire power provided by the crystal buff for full set. So I recommend use of
it.

Now the actual fight. Fighting Moon Lord is actually pretty easy once you have proper arena built and have all the potions buffs and the Nurse around.
In the first stage of the fight, don't stick out your nose from under the cover. Just shoot the Vortex Beater, and the Chlorophyte Bullets will find their target. Don't worry about the ammo as you will have ammo reduction buffs. Keep an eye on your health and when it drops below 250 HP run to the nurse
and get healed. Don't forget to have some Health Potions in your hot bar just in case. Once you kill the eyes from Moon Lord's hands and fore head, switch to the yoyo and fly up. Throw the yoyo at his chest and keep an eye on your health as without cover you are more likely to take hits directly. The same drill goes when your health drops down below 250 HP, land and run to the Nurse.

This strategy worked for me so far. I fought Moon Lord 4 times now and had not failed once yet. The key to the success is to keep an eye on the health and staying under cover
until main beam is eliminated. Just for reference I'm adding the looks of my arena so you get a fair idea of what I am talking about :) Hope I helped and good luck :)

Attachments

• Capture 2015-09-14 19_51_31.png
    Capture 2015-09-14 19_51_31.png
    357.9 KB · Views: 517
  • Capture 2015-09-14 19_51_36.png
    Capture 2015-09-14 19_51_36.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 548
My way of killing Moon Lord proved very efficient and quick. Follow those steps and you will be grand:

Step 1t: Build arena on the surface that will provide you with a cover from Moon Lord's beam (other words he will fry your but with it)

Step 2: After your arena is built, place Camp Fires everywhere where you can, and hang Heart Lanterns too. They will Provide at least some
life regeneration (not much wit Moon Lords dmg, but always better than nothing)

Step 3: Build a house right next to the arena and assign it to the Nurse. While fighting Moon Lord she is more than useful to have around.

Step 4: When defeated all four Celestial Towers, craft yourself Vortex Beater and get Goblin Tinkerer to apply Unreal mod to it. Make sure to have
max amount of chlorophyte bullets as they seek target by themselves which is handy to keep an eye on your HP.

Step 5: Potions that will make this fight A LOT easier are: Thorns Potion, Swiftness Potion, Summoning Potion, Shine Potion, Regeneration Potion,
Night Owl Potion, Ironskin Potion, Inferno Potion, Hunter Potion, Heartreach Potion, Endurance Potion, Calming Potion, and Ammo Reservation Potion.

Step 6: Try to obtain Crystal Ball (Bought from Wizard), Bewitching Table (found in Dungeon, I think... I got it a while ago), Ammo box (no clue on
where I got it) and Sharpening Station (fund in underground Cabins). Place them near the arena so you can use the buff time to its maximum.

Step 7: Accessories that will certainly help are: any kind of wings, Ankh Shield, Star Veil, Yoyo Bag, Frostspark Boots (or any other superfast running boots)

Step 8: Most important - Weapons. Well I always say that its never bad to have too many weapons. I'm running around with Terra Blade (Legendary
mod), Day Break(Godly mod), Vortex Beater(Unreal mod), The Eye of Cthulhu(Godly mod), Stardust Cell Staff(Mythical mod, but Ruthless mod is better) and
Rainbow Crystal Staff(you only get it if you kill Moon Lord and it only has 11.11% drop chance).

Step 9: Personally I found Chlorophyte Armor set best for the fight due to extra fire power provided by the crystal buff for full set. So I recommend use of
it.

Now the actual fight. Fighting Moon Lord is actually pretty easy once you have proper arena built and have all the potions buffs and the Nurse around.
In the first stage of the fight, don't stick out your nose from under the cover. Just shoot the Vortex Beater, and the Chlorophyte Bullets will find their target. Don't worry about the ammo as you will have ammo reduction buffs. Keep an eye on your health and when it drops below 250 HP run to the nurse
and get healed. Don't forget to have some Health Potions in your hot bar just in case. Once you kill the eyes from Moon Lord's hands and fore head, switch to the yoyo and fly up. Throw the yoyo at his chest and keep an eye on your health as without cover you are more likely to take hits directly. The same drill goes when your health drops down below 250 HP, land and run to the Nurse.

This strategy worked for me so far. I fought Moon Lord 4 times now and had not failed once yet. The key to the success is to keep an eye on the health and staying under cover
until main beam is eliminated. Just for reference I'm adding the looks of my arena so you get a fair idea of what I am talking about :) Hope I helped and good luck :)

You kinda overdoit with the campfires and heart lanterns... (how in the name of Cthulhu did you find so many heart crystal??)

You kinda overdoit with the campfires and heart lanterns...

I know, but better safe than sorry right? ;) Life restoration from each Camp Fire/Heart Lantern sums up so it no harm using as many as possible.

(how in the name of Cthulhu did you find so many heart crystal??)

Underground exploration. I have like 98% of the map discovered, and I got some from other worlds :D

I know, but better safe than sorry right? ;) Life restoration from each Camp Fire/Heart Lantern sums up so it no harm using as many as possible.
Not exactly. Campfire + Heart Lantern will stack with each other. However, multiple Campfires won't stack with each other and multiple Heart Lanterns won't stack with each other. You can have 1, 10 or 9001 Campfires within range, but you'll only get the healing boost as if you had one.

Reactions: Nev
Not exactly. Campfire + Heart Lantern will stack with each other. However, multiple Campfires won't stack with each other and multiple Heart Lanterns won't stack with each other. You can have 1, 10 or 9001 Campfires within range, but you'll only get the healing boost as if you had one.

I checked it juts to be sure, and you are right. To be entirely honest I misunderstood what was said in the wiki. I never read the NOTES part where it says that the effect can only stack up to a max of 10 hp/s... Oh well...

lol Mind Freaq, u bring new meaning to the word "overkill" still, at least u have eneugh light now eh?

As for the fight, most good tactics have already been said and they work, but i myself found that i had problems hitting his core in phase 2( i built an asphalt road) so i made a mine track above it and raced on it in phase 2 and was able to target it much easyer(Daybreak kills it real fast) while also dodging some of the attacks the Eyes do.

Back
Top Bottom