PC How to make a LAN Terraria server! ( No Downloads )

Olof Almqvist

Official Terrarian
First of all take notice that this will work on any Computer on any Network! This is a LAN guide!

Hello, This is a guide how to play with your Brother, Friend or Anyone connected to your network! I made this Step by step guide because i have noticed A few searching for a guide like this one, and i am here for you searching for it! :)

These are the steps you Need to follow to make this work!

Step #1 - Open Terraria And press "Multiplayer"> "Host and Play"> Pick anything after that of own choice!

Step #2 - Go to your Desktop, Press the "Start" Button ( Also known as the "Windows" button ) and type in the "Search bar", "CMD". A black Command Prompt will pop up.

Step #3 - Type "ipconfig" in the Prompt, And press enter. Scroll and search for your "IPv4-Adress", When you find that, Send that IP to your Brother/Buddy and he will connect with that IP adress.

Enjoy!

If you have any Questions, Please comment! :)

Last edited:
Well, i think that you should expand this guide with some troubleshooting section.
Before Steam play - most of the troubles I had was with the firewall settings and my router settings if you ignore those..you wont connect most of the time :/

Well, i think that you should expand this guide with some troubleshooting section.
Before Steam play - most of the troubles I had was with the firewall settings and my router settings if you ignore those..you wont connect most of the time :/

Well now this guide wont be needed because Re-Logic added "Play with friends through Steam". So if you wanna play with friends only, don't go dedicated.

You are right. Even if someone is "advanced" in computer knowledge, a troubleshooting guide should be available in this thread.

Me and my brother have tried evrything but nothing works :( Please help! We've also tried playing through LAN at our friends house, and everything worked perfectly fine there? We only can't play at our own house :/ is there maybe a problem with our router or something?
thanks in advance! :(

Me and my brother have tried evrything but nothing works :( Please help! We've also tried playing through LAN at our friends house, and everything worked perfectly fine there? We only can't play at our own house :/ is there maybe a problem with our router or something?
thanks in advance! :(

Try to disable firewalls and open ports on router for host computer.

Will it work with cracked version? I own the paid version of terraria and my sister has the cracked and we whanted to play together on lan

Will it work with cracked version? I own the paid version of terraria and my sister has the cracked and we whanted to play together on lan
@[ZJN]ToxicXender, please don't come here, to the official Terraria forums, and ask for assistance with using a cracked version - whether it's for you or your sister. You'll get no technical support.

Please read over these rules for the forums regarding pirated games.
Policy clarification concerning Piracy and Scam Links

Last edited:
:/ well mabye i should have not made an account if your going to be rude about it, it was just a mere Question!!!!
Whether you keep and use your account is up to you. As long as you follow the rules of the forums. I'm letting you know that asking for help about a Terraria copy that was not purchased is against the rules, and will result in no assistance.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please send me a private message by clicking on 'Start a Conversation' under my avatar at the bottom, so that this thread can stay on topic.

this is probably just useless info but if it is in a LAN network (either Over ethernet or wifi ) you could just open CMD as admin and type

"netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=*networknamehere* key=*passhere*" and then "netsh wlan start hostednetwork"

and the add static ip addresses for you and the other player :D i mean, i'm not talking about cracked terraria only. this could also be used by offline people i guess..

oh and the other player has to join the network , input the password. :D ^_^

this is probably just useless info but if it is in a LAN network (either Over ethernet or wifi ) you could just open CMD as admin and type

"netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=*networknamehere* key=*passhere*" and then "netsh wlan start hostednetwork"

and the add static ip addresses for you and the other player :D i mean, i'm not talking about cracked terraria only. this could also be used by offline people i guess..

oh and the other player has to join the network , input the password. :D ^_^
Wow that actually sounds like it could work! have you tested this or is this just a theory?

Wow that actually sounds like it could work! have you tested this or is this just a theory?

yes i have tested this with my sister VIA wifi (works VIA Ethernet Cable aswell ^^ ) both can host but the one who is hosting the wifi should set their static ip address to "192.168.1.1" while the other has to be "192.168.1.2" and subnet mask for both has to be "255.255.255.0" ^_^ its the same thing for ethernet cables (excluding the part involving the making of the wifi , you really do not need wifi to play together via ethernet cables. just the static ip addresses)

then you hostgame! let the other player(s) input "192.168.1.1" as the servers IP address :D

DO TAKE NOTE OF:

the one who is going to host the wifi , Make sure that:

1.your wifi card supports it (if not then it will just give you an error)

Thanks so much but does this work with Hamachi (its an app that makes you have a LAN network with someone even if ur not using the same wifi):bluslime::lslime:

How does the performance of Terraria's multiplayer gameplay on a LAN connection compare to playing over the internet, particularly in terms of latency and connection stability?

Back
Top Bottom