Weapons & Equip How to make Star Cannon an useful weapon

Rybak

Steampunker
HI. I want to share my suggestion about star cannon.

As you probably know there are many cool items in the game that almost nobody uses for some reasons. One of those items is a star cannon. The idea behind it is good and the weapon is good overall but it has 1 big minus that makes this item underused. The problem is star cannon uses fallen stars as ammo. Stars are not hard to get but since this weapon has a very fast attack speed you need to have tons of it in order to use it like a normal ranged weapon. Getting that amount of stars would take many in-game days and would be a simle waste of time. But I think I have a solution for this. Simply just make star cannon use ammunition crafted from fallen stars, for example 1 fallen star = 10 pieces of ammo. Also lowering it's attack speed would make good balance with new cheaper ammo.

Let me know what do you think about this idea and what would you change in this weapon.

Ya, this would be nice, right now its almost impossible to use. Funny fact, stars do -1 damage, so if the required ammo was changed it could be a slight damage buff? Personally I think a chance to not use ammo does seem like the better option, similar to the minishark which is used to obtain it.

It's pretty hard to balance the Star Cannon properly since it's basically meant to be OP in pre-hardmode. I do agree that the ammo for this weapon is too scarce, but it shouldn't be common enough to allow it to be used as a normal everyday weapon, if it stays as powerful as it is.
It's in a very unique spot in the game, since it's the only weapon that has its overpowered nature balanced with the rarity of its ammo.

The only real issue I have is that it would mean that Star Bolts would be used by only one weapon, and that could be fixed by adding a later-game Star Cannon upgrade.

I wouldn't be against a later upgrade, but it wouldn't exactly be the only weapon that uses unique ammo that no other weapon uses.

It's pretty hard to balance the Star Cannon properly since it's basically meant to be OP in pre-hardmode. I do agree that the ammo for this weapon is too scarce, but it shouldn't be common enough to allow it to be used as a normal everyday weapon, if it stays as powerful as it is.
It's in a very unique spot in the game, since it's the only weapon that has its overpowered nature balanced with the rarity of its ammo.

I wouldn't be against a later upgrade, but it wouldn't exactly be the only weapon that uses unique ammo that no other weapon uses.
As I said before gathering the ammo is difficult enough to make nobody use this weapon even if it has very good stats

As I said before gathering the ammo is difficult enough to make nobody use this weapon even if it has very good stats
Yeah, and I agreed with that. It should have enough ammo to be useable for a boss fight here and there, but not enough to be used as a Minishark replacement.
How much ammo allows this is debatable. 10 per star doesn't sound too bad as a starting point, but it's a difficult thing to estimate without testing.

This is pretty good, the star cannon hasnt been worth making since before 1.1, for the sole reason of being really hard to get ammo for. Supported!

Back
Top Bottom